HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14
AuthorMessage
DeepFrozen
Rookie

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:11 am

I replaced my dead body mounts with Dorman P/N 924-044's. As was said here - just loosened front bolts and then I had enough cradle movement to be able to replace rear mounts.
But I encountered an unexpected problem. I guess those bushings are meant to be squished pretty hard to ensure tight & correct subframe position. Not my case. I was tightening bolts and when those "mushroom" washers (upper and lower) met and rested against each other,  upper bushing was hardly compressed at all, I'm able to move it by hand.
Now it is like this:

It can't be right. Has anyone experienced anything like that?
The reason I'm having this clusterf##k could be the fact that my Riviera is '97 and subframe was taken off an '95 Aurora. But is it?...
(now) I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they share the same cradle.

Well, after some (brief) head-scratching I think I'll put additional modified washer between the lower washer and bushing and tight the whole thing back. I'm gonna take old washers and cut those "caps" off 'em to get something like this:

It will give me about 3/4" of additional "squishing gap" which, I hope, will be enough.
Rusty and ugly, but this should work.

... on the other hand - may be I'm just being stupid and overlooked something simple and managed to screw the whole thing up smile
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:20 am

Well, with additional washers I got tighter assembly and more confidence )  

To push my confidence even further, I put a camera in there and pointed it on the most rear body mount on the passenger side. Then I made some test runs back and forth with enthusiastic braking.  

At least, now I know the cradle is not wobbling around.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:46 pm

I need to basically do exactly what you just did, I kept hearing a clunk when steering and hitting bumps to find out that my subframe bushing was about to come out. Now did you replace any of those captured bolts? I'm afraid that the new England weather here did a number on mine. Also does that Dorman pack replace the front and rear bushings
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings   Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Not sure what captured bolts you are talking about. In my case the subframe was replaced after an accident and all bolts came out relatively easy. But couple of lower washers were literally rusted through. So I bought those Dorman kits - and yes, same kit works for any position in the cradle - and replaced everything.
Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Subframe/Cradle Mount Insulators & Bushings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 14 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14