Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems

Go down 
+31
MusicMan
rk0ehn
BMD
DEMonte1997
EliteOutlaw
97 park ave
T Riley
TheAviator
maximum
Joby70739
greg_anderson_78
nigelf
robotennis61
Eldo
jp8240
GMFreak8
ibmoses
mr riviera
albertj
deekster_caddy
Rickw
manofmany
Mr.Riviera
palermocorey90
Natesriv
98riv
99Rivman
jax95riv
aaronlalonde
AA
jimmyriv
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: 1998 Riviera, Windows and Door locks Inoperable. HELP!!   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm back. Hopefully none of you remember me. wink After a long wait, the car is back from the paint shop and mechanic which replaced a ton of parts I wanted replaced. Today was/is hopefully the day I can start enjoying the car. Of course, another issue popped up. This time with the windows and door locks. None of the windows will go down or up. The passenger side and driver side switches do nothing. There's no clicking, no dimming of lights, nothing. The drivers side door lock switch also doesn't operate. Everything else on the door works including the heated seat, power mirror, and seat memory buttons. On the passenger side the window switch doesn't work, but I can unlock/lock the doors from the switch on that side. I don't think it's a fuse, because the locks do unlock and lock when in gear and from the passenger side. I'm stumped as to what could be causing this. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be around here more now that I finally have the car back in my possession. Anyway, Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Kyle
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 3:16 pm

1) please anyway go check fuses and then tell us what you find.

2) my guess is that the connector on the drivers side switch cluster came loose, you have to take the door panel off and press it back in the socket. Watch out for a broken locking tab on the connector - if your connector has no locking tab then tape it together wehn it's plugged in with electrician's tape, elsewise you'll be back in it in a few weeks or months with the same problem as the vibrations from driving will ease it apart again and the windows will quit.

3) Or maybe you have a break in the wiring harness near where it passes thru the door jamb at the front of the drivers door. On your riv (a 98) this is unlikely as the problem popped up fairly early in the Riv run and I think they by and large fixed it on the 97s and later. ou will need a multimeter to test for this.

My wild guess is it's just a loosened connector behind the drivers side window/lock switches.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 3:39 pm

Quote :
2) my guess is that the connector on the drivers side switch cluster came loose, you have to take the door panel off and press it back in the socket.
Bingo, it's happened to me twice, but only the window switch. When the driver side switch becomes disconnected, it takes the passenger side with it, that much I know. I'm betting both the window and lock switches have come unplugged.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:04 am

Thanks Guys for the reply. I kinda figured that was the case, but the passenger side door threw me off. I'll check it next time I get a chance. I absolutely love this forum. You guys rock! smile
Back to top Go down
jp8240
Special

Name : jake27
Merit : 0

PostSubject: door lock problem   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 10:55 pm

passenger door lock wont always unlock from any means. had it working with key, locked it, now wont unlock again from inside or out side. door is still open and panel still off.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:22 pm

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you've got an effed-up door latch/lock unit... On these cars the door latch, the power lock, and the alarm and unlock switches are all in one unit. I don't even know if they can be opened up, but when you get the door open again, remove the latch assy from the striker side of the door and see if you can clean/lube it.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 pm

if you remove the latch and look on the side of it you will see a white or black plastic arm where one end of the arm fits into a sorta kidney shaped rubber gasket or sleeve or pocket,call it whatever you think applies,occasionally this pocket develops a tear in the corner and allows the "arm " to pop out the sleeve preventing the latch from opening or closing. check it out. this was a problem i ran into and found it to be that.
do you know what a "prince albert" is?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 pm

it won't unlock with the power lock button or manually? that is unusual. Please explain.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:52 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
check it out. this was a problem i ran into and found it to be that.
do you know what a "prince albert" is?

You and your Prince Alberts... What a perv! razz
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Passengers door lock malfunction   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 pm

well the passengers door lock will not lock with the remote or switch on drivers door... here is the culprit!!.....

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 S1030450

so i replaced it and the solenoide old

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 S1030445

and new

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 S1030444

NOTICE.. the old had a switch assembly at the top, this had to be carefully cut off, cleaned and super glued on to the new part as it came without it fitted.

The white rubber "boot" for want of a word was split and kept popping out so i hope the new black boot will last.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 pm

These are so weird looking compared to the old locks... And I guess they've got a bunch of stuff crammed into one spot: manual lock-rod connection, power lock motor, alarm disarm switch, tamper switch on the cylinder, etc.

Can you tell us which parts are what?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Also Nigel, Can you tell us where you purchased it and what the P/N is.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:56 pm

part was on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350295776167&viewitem=

i thorght good value.. its fitted and works well
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 2:09 pm

NOTICE.. the old had a switch assembly at the top, this had to be
carefully cut off, cleaned and super glued on to the new part as it
came without it fitted.

Nigel, can you better explain this statement or do you have pictures of the switch assembly you talk of.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 3:06 pm

I was wondering the same thing... I can't see it in the photo.
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Its the bar like piece at the top of the photo with 5 dimple like marks along its top edge. i will do an edit of the photo later tonight as my comp keeps locking up...!!

the black blob at the top left is the back of the connector plug hole.

Try zooming in and lightening the picture you may see the join
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 3:51 pm

nigelf wrote:
Its the bar like piece at the top of the photo with 5 dimple like marks along its top edge. i will do an edit of the photo later tonight as my comp keeps locking up...!!

the black blob at the top left is the back of the connector plug hole.

Try zooming in and lightening the picture you may see the join
Now I see what you are referring to.
Thanks, it would still be helpful if you have photos of the individual pieces.
Thanks,
Rick
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 11:06 pm

My drivers door won't unlock with the key fob or the switch. I hit the power locks sometimes when parking knowing the lock doesn't work. I figure the alarm will work anyway, then if I forget and grab the door handle I set it off. (dumb) bonk
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 7:51 am

jimmyriv wrote:
My drivers door won't unlock with the key fob or the switch. I hit the power locks sometimes when parking knowing the lock doesn't work. I figure the alarm will work anyway, then if I forget and grab the door handle I set it off. (dumb) bonk

Sounds like you need to replace the latch unit. It's a little tight in there but not too tough. I did one on my car (pass side) when it failed and had dealer's boy shop do the other when it failed. The new ones were a little different, I suspect it's a one-time replacement.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
greg_anderson_78

Name : Greg
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 12:24 pm

I had this problem with my car a year ago. It turns out that the exterior latch will only lift the linkage and the spring loaded latch must pull the linkage back to the latch position.

What happened on mine was that the linkage under my exterior door handle had corrosion and once the latch was lifted the linkage would not go back to the original position, which holds the latch half open(i sometimes could not get my door to latch shut also). Then you cycle your lock and the latch is not reset and the whole mechanism locks up. Sorry if this is hard to understand but if you take your door apart test your latch mechanism with a screwdriver while it is out of the door and by itself. If it works well on its own out of the door is likely something like what happened to me.
Back to top Go down
Joby70739
Joby70739

Name : Tori
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Door locking issue   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 am

My problem is my door lock. My keypad broke a while back and I've just been doing with out it. My lock problem is when I hit the lock button its dings at me It doesn't lock until hitting it a second time. Having no problems with unlocking from outside or locking back from inside. Any ideas on what caused this or what I can do to fix it?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 6:41 am

To paraphrase Microsoft, that's not a bug, that's a feature!

It's called Delayed Locking, so that you don't have to sit there and wait for a passenger to finish exiting the vehicle before you lock the car. Hit the button, hear the chime, and 5 seconds after the last door is closed the car will lock and set the alarm. Ditto, if you have to reopen your own door within that time period, if you forgot something or didn't latch your door all the way...

You'll also find that the driver's door lock button will not work if the key is in the ignition - Lockout Prevention.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 8:50 am

Mark's right. This feature also works the same way when you push the lock button on the remote with the driver door open.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Joby70739
Joby70739

Name : Tori
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 1:40 pm

It never did this before so I must have done something to make is start again. I'll have to try and see if it works correctly, I've always just hit the lock button twice since it started.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Either you did not notice that it did that before, or you reset the personalization - which can be inadvertently done by pressing combinations of the buttons on the driver's armrest - perhaps during a cleaning or if maybe you or another driver of the car got bored and started pushing buttons.

I really would not worry about it. You can disable delayed locking and a number of other things - best way is to look in your owner's manual for how to re-set the personalization features, which is most conveniently done with a key fob.

No kidding, check out the owner's manual.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems   FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Power Door Lock Problems
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next