Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Heated Seat Problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
FIREMANBOB
Special
FIREMANBOB

Name : Bobby
Merit : 0

Heated Seat Problem Empty
PostSubject: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:58 pm

The Heated Seat Lite comes on when i push the button, but no heat to the seats...It switches form hi to low but still no seat heat. Any ideas on what to check, Thanks in advance for any help.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Do you hear a "click" when you hit the button"?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
GM FIEND
Rookie
GM FIEND

Name : GM FIEND

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 2:43 pm

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMO THE PASSENGER SIDE WORKS BUT THE DRIVERS SIDE DOSENT!!! ITS NOT FAIR LOL
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 3:34 pm

1) please check the fuses and breakers. You may probably find an open fuse or hot thermal breaker.

2) check the wiring under the seat. If the breaker was hot or fuse was blown you will find a wire chafed and shorted onto another wire or the frame of the car. If the fuses were OK you will probably have to remove the seat to find a broken connection in the vicinity of the heating elements, or a broken wire at some point that flexes a lot (look at it carefully).

Seat heaters are simple systems and don't readily break. Matter of fact a sneaky way to put heated seats in whatever car is to get them out of a "donor" car that has relatively simple (or identical) upholstery - you have to surf the pick-and-pull to find such a "donor" - and install them on a new 20 or 30 A switched fused circuit in your car. Removing and reinstalling the upholstery in your car can be a chore - if you're in a cold area, a chore you'll smile about some cold day...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
GM FIEND
Rookie
GM FIEND

Name : GM FIEND

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 5:08 pm

THANKS I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!
Back to top Go down
FIREMANBOB
Special
FIREMANBOB

Name : Bobby

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 10:09 pm

AA wrote:
Do you hear a "click" when you hit the button"?
Yes i do...
Back to top Go down
Rivlanta
Rivlanta

Name : Craig
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 5:12 am

Can anyone tell me the exact physical location of the driver's side heated seat thermistor? In other words, is it located in the upper or lower half of the seat? I have tried to isolate the infamous problem of the Heated Seat switch lighting normally, the heat control module relay "clicking" on-off every 15 seconds, but no heat from the seat. I believe it to likely be the internal seat thermistor. I would like to try and get access to thermistor as directly as possible without removing the seat and all of the upholstery if possible.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance from perhaps someone who has been underneath the seat cover and observed the inner-workings of the heated seat element and thermistor.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Rivlanta wrote:
Can anyone tell me the exact physical location of the driver's side heated seat thermistor? In other words, is it located in the upper or lower half of the seat? I have tried to isolate the infamous problem of the Heated Seat switch lighting normally, the heat control module relay "clicking" on-off every 15 seconds, but no heat from the seat. I believe it to likely be the internal seat thermistor. I would like to try and get access to thermistor as directly as possible without removing the seat and all of the upholstery if possible.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance from perhaps someone who has been underneath the seat cover and observed the inner-workings of the heated seat element and thermistor.

Thanks!

There is really no way to get at the seat thermistor without removing the seat and then removing the leather. You use a Dremel Moto-Tool or wire cutters to cut the hog rings, you use a set of hog ring pliers and hog rings to reattach. Some NAPA stores have there; they are always available from Aubuchon Hardware, on line, also from JCWhitney. And other places.

You are more likely to find a connection broken, I think, than a bum thermistor. IRIC you can get a replacement thermistor through Radio Shack, however if you can still read the code on the thermistor a better bet is Digi-Key (www.digikey.com). I buy parts from both.

Back to top Go down
Rivlanta
Rivlanta

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 6:12 am

albertj wrote:
Rivlanta wrote:

Thanks!

There is really no way to get at the seat thermistor without removing the seat and then removing the leather. You use a Dremel Moto-Tool or wire cutters to cut the hog rings, you use a set of hog ring pliers and hog rings to reattach. Some NAPA stores have there; they are always available from Aubuchon Hardware, on line, also from JCWhitney. And other places.

You are more likely to find a connection broken, I think, than a bum thermistor. IRIC you can get a replacement thermistor through Radio Shack, however if you can still read the code on the thermistor a better bet is Digi-Key (www.digikey.com). I buy parts from both.

Thanks for the feedback and info on where to procure parts. I need to check the external wiring more thoroughly before getting into seat removal/disassembly, and then, if necessary, weigh-out how important this fix is to me. Like most of us, it really bugs me when something is not working properly on my RIv, not to mention the simple pleasures of a "bun-warmer" on these brisk mornings, even in Atlanta! wink
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 5:50 pm

Buried on this site somewhere is a pictorial write up of removing the seat covers. It's not that big a deal, although definitely time-consuming.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rivlanta
Rivlanta

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 6:54 pm

I did more troubleshooting this weekend and found nothing externally. I also watched a couple YouTube vids on removing seat covers and repairing the heating elements...so I am about ready to take this on when I have a couple days off.

Thanks Albert, for the tips. I will search this site and see if I can find the info on cover removal.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 1:15 am

Rivlanta wrote:
I did more troubleshooting this weekend and found nothing externally. I also watched a couple YouTube vids on removing seat covers and repairing the heating elements...so I am about ready to take this on when I have a couple days off.

Thanks Albert, for the tips. I will search this site and see if I can find the info on cover removal.

Maybe AA will chime in, I can't find the thread. He's great at finding old threads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heated Seat Problem   Heated Seat Problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Heated Seat Problem
Page 1 of 1