Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Featured Ride

Go down 
+21
Andysdorm
Z-type
denim
jonly
themanwithsauce
ZEP
AA
Derek
Hometown Hero
KillaKeninaRiv
Steve98
J. Chris Davis
DEMonte1997
IBx1
sburch23
stan
robotennis61
bigdave
BMD
flyineagle96
ghpcnm
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

Featured Ride - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 2:41 am

impressive
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 8:14 am

I love the color! And I really like the stance with those rims, it looks just mean. I reconize that engine cover! Lol it looks damn good too. I'm proud that I could help contribute (granted in a tiny way) to such a beautiful car.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 8:31 am

So that's what Riv's looked like when they were new...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:21 am

Nice! Those wheels are doing so much for the car.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:55 am

Derek wrote:
I love the color! And I really like the stance with those rims, it looks just mean. I reconize that engine cover! Lol it looks damn good too. I'm proud that I could help contribute (granted in a tiny way) to such a beautiful car.

Yes, Derek...that's your old SC cover. Thanks for making it available to me. wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:00 am

You're more than welcome, I'm glad it could find a good home. You turned it into a thing of beauty!
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Car looks fantastic Dave, including the engine bay and interior! I am obviously a little impartial to that color but boy does it ever look nice on a Riv. I kinda like the car with the plastic molding painted the body color too. Not 100% sure if I would do it 'cause I also like the contrast between the body color and graphite, but it definitely looks sharp. Congrats and enjoy! clap
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 12:31 pm

BMD wrote:
Car looks fantastic Dave, including the engine bay and interior! I am obviously a little impartial to that color but boy does it ever look nice on a Riv. I kinda like the car with the plastic molding painted the body color too. Not 100% sure if I would do it 'cause I also like the contrast between the body color and graphite, but it definitely looks sharp. Congrats and enjoy! clap

Thank you BMD (and others). I am very pleased with the iridescent paint. The car is a real chameleon now. The color changes with the lighting. I almost went back with the factory color, but decided to change at the last minute.
idea
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 12:44 pm

This looks absolutely stunning, Dave. It is very tastefully done and those wheels look beautiful on there. Great job with it. Hopefully that chrome on the engine cover doesn't decide to peel off!
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:12 pm

That is a beatiful paint job. Love the color.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Great looking car.I like the "Grand Sport" emblems on the rocker moldings.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 5:04 pm

bigdave wrote:
Great looking car.I like the "Grand Sport" emblems on the rocker moldings.

Yeah,me too! they look like they belong
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 5:10 pm

I'll say this...Had GM made a GS model and added some attractive rims, they would have sold more of these cars IMO.

Frankly, I can't understand why they didn't. puzzled
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:36 pm

FYI, ghpcnm, "House of Kolor Shimrin Milano Maroon Firemist Paint " isnt that 2 different paints? HOK, is a manufacture of paints.and
TCP Global,another manufacture, and their color is ,"Shimrin Milano Maroon Firemist Paint " ?
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Hmmmm...Robo: You've stumped me. I really don't know the answer to your question as I merely picked the color and the body shop ordered the paint.

Last edited by ghpcnm on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:41 pm

"Shimrin Milano Maroon Firemist Paint " is a TCP GLOBAL color. I only know this because I've been perusing the pages of TCP, for the past few months before deciding on my color.
HOK,does not sell that color. FYI.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Robo:

You've peaked my curiosity. I will check with the body shop and make sure. I looked at the
TCP site and it is the same site where we chose the color and where they ordered the paint. Perhaps I am mixed up on it... wouldn't be a first LOL lol
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:18 pm

thats my guess. HOK makes a color that has the name " shimrin" in it.

but "Milano Maroon Firemist Paint " is all TCP.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 12:35 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
thats my guess. HOK makes a color that has the name " shimrin" in it.

but "Milano Maroon Firemist Paint " is all TCP.

I stand corrected oops You are right Robo. I checked with the body shop this morning and I was confused.

"Milano Maroon Firemist Paint " IS a TCP color

Thanks for the info, Robo thumbsup
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 pm

no prob.I hope they didnt charge you HOK prices?
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 4:21 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
no prob.I hope they didnt charge you HOK prices?

Robo: This was a "contract job" from the get-go. Biz is very slow around here for custom body shops (not many low-riders being built right now). Because my Riv is not a daily driver, I was in no particular hurry and I was able to negotiate a very reasonable price by paying 75% down before work was started with the understanding that they could work on my car as time permitted (they needed cash flow). I closely monitored progress and weekly paid more cash as work on the car was satisfactorily completed. When the car was finally finished, I only owed $50.00. During the time the project was underway, I was able to cultivate a good relationship with the shop workers and because of that, I think they put some extra effort into the car above and beyond what they might have otherwise done. I am very pleased with the outcome and I think they were also.

*** If any of you are wanting a paint job, you might want to approach custom shops in your area that do not specialize in insurance work. It's a buyer's market out there right now in many parts of the country.
Back to top Go down
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Name : Chris
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to selling paint, I've only ever formulated it....oddly enough...

Do the labor costs increase when a more complex paint (like chameleon) is involved or is the majority of the cost in prep work? Cause all I really want is just a nice deep coat of GM black. They wouldn't have to do door seams or trunk. Where would the majority of my costs be in this case since it's a common paint that really requires no special steps to apply?
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 10:17 am

1 Class,nice very nice!!! rock
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 12:33 pm

themanwithsauce wrote:
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to selling paint, I've only ever formulated it....oddly enough...

Do the labor costs increase when a more complex paint (like chameleon) is involved or is the majority of the cost in prep work? Cause all I really want is just a nice deep coat of GM black. They wouldn't have to do door seams or trunk. Where would the majority of my costs be in this case since it's a common paint that really requires no special steps to apply?

My suggestion to anyone wanting a "complex" paint job, as you put it, is to find a shop that specializes in custom paint work. In my case, I found a shop that does a lot of lowriders, etc. They do the mural thing and all that kind of stuff.

I'm not into murals, but as a rule, guys who are good at murals know how to apply the kind of paint you are talking about much better than shops who specialize in insurance work and they will probably do it for less $$$ because they are already familiar with it.

PREP, as you probably know, is the key to a beautiful paint job and that is where the vast majority of the time is involved. I am not a body man by any means, but I can tell you that more time was spent on surface prep than any other thing with my Riv and it is a straight and totally rust free car. If you can do some of the prep work yourself, such as removing trim, sanding, etc.....that should save you a lot of money. wink

Last edited by ghpcnm on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 12:37 pm

flyineagle96 wrote:
1 Class,nice very nice!!! rock

Thanks James...I had been waiting for your reaction because you have one of my favorite cars in the group. wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Featured Ride   Featured Ride - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Featured Ride
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next