HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 
 

 High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:43 am

Careful, Travis. This is starting to sound personal. Keep it about cars. Read this again if you're not clear:

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/everything-else-f9/warning-trash-talk-will-not-be-tolerated-t3775.htm

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 268k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180Ί t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO • 49k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Supercharged
Addict
avatar

Name : Blake
Age : 27
Location : Akron, Ohio
Joined : 2008-03-12
Post Count : 611
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:49 pm

tisk tisk
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
avatar

Name : Travis
Age : 27
Location : Your wife's box
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 5125
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:19 pm

AA wrote:
Careful, Travis. This is starting to sound personal. Keep it about cars. Read this again if you're not clear:

yah sorry......... but back to the topic..............


next time your driving AA put it to the floor than do a run through first......... now go back down to 10 or so and run it through first with 7/8 throttle...... mine shifts at 53 or what ever at 7/8throttle.........
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:51 pm

Agree, 7/8 is basically full. I also think it's pretty darn hard to guess your throttle % without scanning.

I think the point Corey was trying to make is that he didn't put it to the floor.

Let him do some 1/4 mile runs and then we'll know if all this work was worth it. We all have our doubts, but Corey is trying something new. I really don't know what to expect.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 268k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180Ί t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO • 49k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
palermocorey90
Expert
avatar

Name : Corey
Age : 27
Location : Rome NY
Joined : 2007-10-03
Post Count : 2968
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:42 pm

when me and dave go to the track i will do some runs
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
Supercharged
Addict
avatar

Name : Blake
Age : 27
Location : Akron, Ohio
Joined : 2008-03-12
Post Count : 611
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:03 pm

AA wrote:
Agree, 7/8 is basically full. I also think it's pretty darn hard to guess your throttle % without scanning.

I think the point Corey was trying to make is that he didn't put it to the floor.

Let him do some 1/4 mile runs and then we'll know if all this work was worth it. We all have our doubts, but Corey is trying something new. I really don't know what to expect.

what have i missed seriously, what is he trying thats new
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Mark
Age : 51
Location : Montana
Joined : 2008-06-13
Post Count : 1296
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Rebuilt the old style L32, instead of the newer L67's....

I think the L32's are supposed to be a beefier, heavier engine, structual wise....
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
T Riley
Guru
avatar

Name : Travis
Age : 27
Location : Your wife's box
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 5125
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:17 pm

Supercharged wrote:
AA wrote:
Agree, 7/8 is basically full. I also think it's pretty darn hard to guess your throttle % without scanning.

I think the point Corey was trying to make is that he didn't put it to the floor.

Let him do some 1/4 mile runs and then we'll know if all this work was worth it. We all have our doubts, but Corey is trying something new. I really don't know what to expect.

what have i missed seriously, what is he trying thats new

cammed, high compression block, with no intercooler or headers......
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Supercharged
Addict
avatar

Name : Blake
Age : 27
Location : Akron, Ohio
Joined : 2008-03-12
Post Count : 611
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:19 pm

hmm
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
avatar

Name : Travis
Age : 27
Location : Your wife's box
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 5125
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:21 pm

Supercharged wrote:
hmm

Its just a set up NOT alot of people do.... BUT im pretty sure he said he is getting headers soon..... which will really open that puddupy up
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Supercharged
Addict
avatar

Name : Blake
Age : 27
Location : Akron, Ohio
Joined : 2008-03-12
Post Count : 611
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:26 pm

not to mention a downpipe...
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
avatar

Name : Corey
Age : 27
Location : Rome NY
Joined : 2007-10-03
Post Count : 2968
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:51 pm

you dont buy a DP when u get headers. and yes as travis said i am doing headers and a full custom cat back. they should be hear in about a month when i have the money
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
Supercharged
Addict
avatar

Name : Blake
Age : 27
Location : Akron, Ohio
Joined : 2008-03-12
Post Count : 611
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:06 pm

so what goes in place of the downpipe...
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
avatar

Name : Corey
Age : 27
Location : Rome NY
Joined : 2007-10-03
Post Count : 2968
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:29 pm

the back manifold , it comes with everything. so there is no need to buy a DP
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
T Riley
Guru
avatar

Name : Travis
Age : 27
Location : Your wife's box
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 5125
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:59 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:
you dont buy a DP when u get headers. and yes as travis said i am doing headers and a full custom cat back. they should be hear in about a month when i have the money

can't wait to see when they get here
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
palermocorey90
Expert
avatar

Name : Corey
Age : 27
Location : Rome NY
Joined : 2007-10-03
Post Count : 2968
Merit : -24

PostSubject: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:20 pm

i need to pay my insurance and snap on bill first
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
c0reyl
Addict
avatar

Name : Corey
Age : 26
Location : JMU virginia
Joined : 2011-07-25
Post Count : 569
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:58 pm

merged from: http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t8903-i-m-new-and-have-a-lot-of-pics-of-my-beat-up-rivvy-p#139011

setsuna57 wrote:
eh its pretty quick but I havent taken it to the track or anything its a 95 so it is a bit limited in the mod department I based my mods of of what karma is running thats who you should talk to if you get a series one sc swap

HOWEVER the bottum riv in my sig which I dont list mods for because my sig is long enough is a series II sc is intercooled with rockers headers blah blah blah it has a lot of crap in it a good car to drive if you like the smell of burnt rubber lmao it has its problems and quirks but there is no denying it has an ass load of power its called the dreww custom cuz thats the board member I got it from dreww is a cool dude and he put some serious time into that car and cash.

anyway if you are doing the ss sc thing from zzp ,they claim you will make as much power as a stock supercharged series II its quite abit of cash though...

honestly finding a motor is your best bet/cheapest option also you can get it rebuilt while retaining the driveability of your riv BTW if you go supercharged you will need a new driver side axle and probably the HD trans aswell
dreww told me a horror story about after modding the car up a bit he blew the driver side axle out something fierce because it isn't a HD axle like the 97 and up scs have so be careful

a
nyway there are plenty of guys on here who can help you out they definately have the know how

I'm no expert, but my rivvy is a 97, an engine alone, since mine is a higher compression ratio, wouldn't it make more power than a regular supercharged 3800? My NA has a 9.5:1 ratio whereas the SC has an 8.5:1 ratio :3
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Larry
Age : 60
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 1503
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:31 pm

c0reyl wrote:
setsuna57 wrote:
eh its pretty quick but I havent taken it to the track or anything its a 95 so it is a bit limited in the mod department I based my mods of of what karma is running thats who you should talk to if you get a series one sc swap

HOWEVER the bottum riv in my sig which I dont list mods for because my sig is long enough is a series II sc is intercooled with rockers headers blah blah blah it has a lot of crap in it a good car to drive if you like the smell of burnt rubber lmao it has its problems and quirks but there is no denying it has an ass load of power its called the dreww custom cuz thats the board member I got it from dreww is a cool dude and he put some serious time into that car and cash.

anyway if you are doing the ss sc thing from zzp ,they claim you will make as much power as a stock supercharged series II its quite abit of cash though...

honestly finding a motor is your best bet/cheapest option also you can get it rebuilt while retaining the driveability of your riv BTW if you go supercharged you will need a new driver side axle and probably the HD trans aswell
dreww told me a horror story about after modding the car up a bit he blew the driver side axle out something fierce because it isn't a HD axle like the 97 and up scs have so be careful

a
nyway there are plenty of guys on here who can help you out they definately have the know how

I'm no expert, but my rivvy is a 97, an engine alone, since mine is a higher compression ratio, wouldn't it make more power than a regular supercharged 3800? My NA has a 9.5:1 ratio whereas the SC has an 8.5:1 ratio :3

No, boost makes the difference. Boost is like increasing the compression ratio. The SC3800 made 240 HP @ 5200 RPM, and 280 ft. lbs. of torque @ 3600 RPM. The NA 3800 made 205 HP @ 5200 RPM, and 230 ft. lbs. of torque @ 4000 RPM

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict
avatar

Name : Corey
Age : 26
Location : JMU virginia
Joined : 2011-07-25
Post Count : 569
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:02 pm

I meant it would, on paper make more power than the SC engine due to a higher static impression ratio. I believe I'd get 300 ft lbs maybe more of torque with the same exact bolt one as a standard SC 3800 engine. I was under the impression that Forced induction increases overall cylinder pressure, while compression ratio is how much pressure the piston dividing the volume of the cylinder with the same air contents into the smaller combustion chamber, and can not change in a standard engine. I'm no expert though :3
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Larry
Age : 60
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 1503
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:29 pm

c0reyl wrote:
I meant it would, on paper make more power than the SC engine due to a higher static impression ratio. I believe I'd get 300 ft lbs maybe more of torque with the same exact bolt one as a standard SC 3800 engine. I was under the impression that Forced induction increases overall cylinder pressure, while compression ratio is how much pressure the piston dividing the volume of the cylinder with the same air contents into the smaller combustion chamber, and can not change in a standard engine. I'm no expert though :3


Static compression ratio is the ratio of the volume above the piston, when it is at the bottom of the stroke(BDC), divided by, the volume above the piston at the top of it's stroke (TDC). In general, the higher the static compression ratio, the more efficient the engine is, and the more power it will make. Most people don't realize that an engine doesn't run at the static compression ratio. The intake valve always closes while the piston is on it's way up the cylinder on the compression stroke. So valve timing plays a big part in the running compression of the engine. The actual running compression of an engine is known as the Dynamic Compression Ratio (DCR). A Turbocharged, or Supercharged engine gains it's power from Boost. Air is forced into the engine at higher than atmospheric pressure. Boost has a much greater effect than static compression ratio, on engine power. Boost enhances volumetric efficiency of the engine. I do know that the Turbo Regals and GN's of the late 80's ran at 14 psi of boost. I have seen that correlated with a 14:1 compression ratio. The GN engine has a static compression of 8.5:1. I bet our SC3800 engines at full boost are more like 11 or 12:1 compression.

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
setsuna57
Member


Name : Rsquared
Age : 32
Joined : 2011-05-21
Post Count : 84
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:14 pm

how are you planning out the swap just the top ie l67 heads superchager intake manifold injectors etc.. Ive heard the bottom wont be able to take that for long the l36 rods aren't as strong as l67s I dont know I do lots of reading on theese motors just because I have every version that came in a riv I am far from knowing everything there is to know about theese cars

anyway looked up that ss m90 kit 2200+ -__- in way i guess it does make more power since you have to run 4" pulley and I bet you would have knock out the a&*

http://www.zzperformance.com/blog/how-to-supercharge-a-na-l36-car-zzp-ssm90-kit/

check that out if thats the way you want to go I think thats way to much cash for such a small improvement for that amount the car could be all motor and probably run better

hv3 $200 20hp

4 inch cai less than $100 10hp maybe....

twisted cam $325 30hp+ or rockers for about 10-15hp $275-300 one or the other not both

#33 injectors $150
plog for %179 5-10 hp
lol you could nickel and dime your way to victory
just those alone for under $1200 is more than what you would get with that swap then theres heads and pistons to take it even further

but this is all in theory if you wanted a tough NA which you don't ....not trying to convert you just want to see some killer NAs roll out eventually as I still want to fix up misery..... I am waiting for someone to chime in with exp in swaps ....
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict
avatar

Name : Corey
Age : 26
Location : JMU virginia
Joined : 2011-07-25
Post Count : 569
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Hehe, yeah, normally I wouldn't go for a lambo door, but when you weigh 158 @ 6ft with a 29 inch waist and are too fat to get out of your damn car, there's an issue :/

So what you're saying is if I bolt an m90 supercharger on my l36(I think) NA 3800 with its higher compression ratio of 9.5:1 vs the standard SC engine which has a lower impression ratio of 8.5:1, I will make less power? Due to valve timing, or something else? :3
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict
avatar

Name : Corey
Age : 26
Location : JMU virginia
Joined : 2011-07-25
Post Count : 569
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:01 pm

setsuna57 wrote:
how are you planning out the swap just the top ie l67 heads superchager intake manifold injectors etc.. Ive heard the bottom wont be able to take that for long the l36 rods aren't as strong as l67s I dont know I do lots of reading on theese motors just because I have every version that came in a riv I am far from knowing everything there is to know about theese cars

anyway looked up that ss m90 kit 2200+ -__- in way i guess it does make more power since you have to run 4" pulley and I bet you would have knock out the a&*

http://www.zzperformance.com/blog/how-to-supercharge-a-na-l36-car-zzp-ssm90-kit/

check that out if thats the way you want to go I think thats way to much cash for such a small improvement for that amount the car could be all motor and probably run better

hv3 $200 20hp

4 inch cai less than $100 10hp maybe....

twisted cam $325 30hp+ or rockers for about 10-15hp $275-300 one or the other not both

#33 injectors $150
plog for %179 5-10 -
lol you could nickel and dime your way to victory
just those alone for under $1200 is more than what you would get with that swap then theres heads and pistons to take it even further

but this is all in theory if you wanted a tough NA which you don't ....not trying to convert you just want to see some killer NAs roll out eventually as I still want to fix up misery..... I am waiting for someone to chime in with exp in swaps ....

Se that's a good explanation happy
I had no idea that my rods are weaker than the l67 frown I thought the two engines had the same exact build quality :3
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Larry
Age : 60
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 1503
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)   Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:10 am

[quote="c0reyl"]
setsuna57 wrote:


Se that's a good explanation happy
I had no idea that my rods are weaker than the l67 frown I thought the two engines had the same exact build quality :3


The rods and pistons are different. If you throw the same amount of boost at a higher compression ratio, you will run into detonation problems sooner. Detonation will kill these engines in short order. The computer can only pull so much timing quickly enough to protect the engine.

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 45
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7716
Merit : 109

PostSubject: temp   Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:25 am

A Top Swap (putting an M90 on an L36) requires a knowledgeable tuner at your side. The higher compression ratio combined with the added heat and pressure of supercharging makes for very very tricky tuning. I know of many top swaps with blown pistons, and very few that have lasted. Yes it's possible, but you need a tuner who knows what they are doing. Not worth the risk IMO. I have a tuner and do my own tuning, so for me I might try it. But it's much easier to stick with the lower compression ratio to start.
Back to top Go down
 
High Compression L36 bottom + L67 SC (Corey's Engine Build)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Briggs 14.5 high compression problems
» Compression to high after rebuild?
» Engine mods
» Compression test showing 20 PSI?
» WTT turbo Z31 for s-chassis

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: