Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???

Go down 
+4
albertj
LARRY70GS
c0reyl
playa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
playa
Fanatic
playa

Name : Mark
Merit : 11

Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 3:55 pm

1st thru 3rd were present and functioning - although I did notice when I chose just to pop it in to 3rd gear and drive like that - it seemed to shift at a later point than before. I read somewhere on here or maybe another site that higher shift points is normal when it's not in 4th/OD. R&R is coming regardless. I'm just awaiting the diagnosis right now.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:10 pm

I really don't think it makes a difference shifting from 1-2-3 when in 3rd lock-out. I don't notice on mine anyway, You may notice a different feel because TCC locks-up in 3rd as well as in 4th, but it's not very noticeable when in OD.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
playa
Fanatic
playa

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Got the car back yesterday. Seems to shift awesome. They said there was a part in there that was supposed o be pulling 20 lbs of pressure but was only achieving about 12. That was just one problem. Anyway, pretty expensive deal but for the most part, I'm happy.

I have all the parts they changed out and I'll be posting pics shortly but I wanted to throw something out at you guys. I noticed a vibration at startup and it continues up until around the 800-1000RPM range (in park). They did replace the rear mount as well but I'm a little concerned. It's minimal but I have to take it back to be re torqued and topped off so I'll probably bring it up.

It took a little longer to get back because they said the Torque Converter was out of balance. Could this vibration be the same thing? I never noticed it before the tranny rebuild. Could the new mount do this? What say you guys?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm

It's the rear mount causing it, IMO. As our cars age, the interiors tend to loosen up, and things rattle more easily. Replacing the old, squishy rear mount with a solid new one allows some extra vibration to enter the cabin. There is some evidence the aftermarket mounts are a bit firmer, too. Best thing to do is hunt down the source of the noise and tighten or insulate the area of concern.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
playa
Fanatic
playa

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 pm

That's what I was thinking. I can't wait to post some pics of the parts I have - leads me to believe that the best course of action with the 4t65e transmission is to rebuild prior to that 4th hub going out. There's alot of parts I could have saved if I didn't let it go like it did.

Last edited by playa on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 5:43 pm

playa wrote:
price quote $1900 to R& R and additional costs if hard parts need replacing like gears, shafts, butt lube. afraid

Damn! I've been hoping thing will be cheaper in Oregon... I've been holding out on replacing the top on the Wildcat until I get up there.
(Well, at least the electricity isn't 30 cents/KWh)
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
playa

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 pm

So I return to the shop tomorrow and I found a couple things that concern me. Some are worse than others but I need confirmation of what I'm seeing before I bring these up.
Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 032

Tranny lines. Obviously they're supposed to be mounted somewhere.

Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 031

This shows what I believe should be a bolt but alas, there is nothing. Located topside at about the 1 oclock position of the transmission case. Should there be a bolt there?

Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 029

Again, tranny lines left unfastened

Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 028

This has me a little concerned. Front Transmission mount, lower bolt. Should there be a nut there.
I still have a vibration at about the 1500-2000 RPM range and at 65MPH, a pretty significant and continuous shudder. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:57 pm

front mount looks OK

check rear mount and there are 2 more - a 'can' on the front of the engine and a transmission mount on the bell housing some wheres. I don't have pics.

I am thinking the mount on the bell housing usually does not get changed out and probably finally dies.

I am thinking the rest of that loose stuff needs bolted down.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Those look like power steering lines. The line running around the subframe is the PS "Cooler". The tab you showed on the transmission - not exactly sure which one you are showing, but there are two alignment holes that do not have bolts in them. There should be 5 visible bolts from the drivers side, the sixth bolt comes in from the passenger side behind the motor. If they were going to leave one out, it would have been that passenger side bolt commonly referred to as the "Bastard Bolt" because people don't know it's there, and can't pull the transmission after thinking they have removed all the bellhousing bolts.

The PS Cooler lines just thread into the subframe with those sheetmetal screws you see. Not a huge deal but you could even hold them up with a tie wrap just to ensure they don't drag on the ground. (not likely to happen)
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
playa

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 3:05 am

Thanks for the correction - I was in a hurry while posting because I had to get an answer before I left the next morning. I don't know. Sometimes a person can convince themselves there's an issue even though it's exactly how it should be.
Anyway, took it in. Mentioned the vibration. The couldn't really duplicate it so I guess I'll let it ride and see what happens. Still planning on changing the front mount and maybe swapping the wheel bearings (they've never been done yet).
I think part of my issue is that when I went to pick the car up the first time, I noticed foam hanging down in the front and found out they'd forgot to put the skid plate back on. Let that be a lesson, first impressions are so important. Pics of the parts still to come.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???   Transmission slow to shift - any ideas??? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Transmission slow to shift - any ideas???
Page 1 of 1