Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....

Go down 
+12
BKRIV
LARRY70GS
albertj
MFFDVR
deekster_caddy
rivparadise
pbrktrt
Andysdorm
DEMonte1997
robotennis61
AA
AKC
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jbeganny
Enthusiast

Name : John Beganny
Merit : 2

Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 95 problems   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 12:38 am

I bought this 95 SC with 59K on it thinking I got a great buy. I still do but the car has issues. After reading this thread I am scared to death what may come next. It sounds like the 95 inherently is doomed. From some descriptions it sounds like it may be haunted! One of the problems I was having was rough running especially at idle and low speed acceleration. I took some advice I read on here and changed my plugs to Autolite 605's and factory wires. In doing so I found the middle plug in the rear hardly had an electrode left on it. It almost looked like part of it was broken off but more like burned off. Huge gap. So after replacing plugs and wires the rough running seems to have cleared up. The other plugs, by the way, looked perfect. I don't know how long they were in there. What could have caused this?
I also have a 63 Riv and it always runs perfect!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:07 am

The wonderful world of the quick and mysterios 95. welcome to the club.
I've just about given up on trying to find every quirk the series 1 exhibits. Now I just live with her eccenticities. all I know is when I hit the gas she just goes!
Back to top Go down
Donny Lowrida
Special

Name : Shawn
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:49 pm

I took my car home yesterday from work (6 miles). I stopped off at AutoZone (yeah I know...) to price out a fuel pump and left my car running outside. When I went back out, the exhaust wasn't smooth it was rough. When I jumped in it and through it in reverse to back out of the parking spot I was in, the car wouldn't move, nor would it rev up to move, it just stuttered more and after three tries of putting it in PARK and back in REVERSE, it stalled. After that it wouldn't start for a half hour and upon starting it, it struggled backwards. Something is DEFINITELY getting hot and shutting off, but what?
The store manager came out and said the pump was pumping as it should be. I asked about the MAF sensor, but he said he didn't have one in stock.
However this morning, I recalled when I worked for Cadillac back in the 90's, they sent me out to duplicate a customer concern about an intermittent stall when the car got hot. You would have to let it "cool down" and then it would start again. As it turns out, it was the PCM. It literally would heat up and stall out the car, until it cooled.
Does this sound feasible? Could this be the problem?

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 8:42 pm

sounds possible.call morad and find out if they can send you a good used one..
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Shawn,
I think you need to do a little more diagnosing. Dont just throw parts at this. First off, get check engine light scanned. Auto Zone is fine for this. They should be able to do obd 1.5.
Also, when car stops running, check for fuel pressure and spark. This will narrow down your problem. If no spark is present, you may want to test your crank position sensor. They will act up when hot, but work normal when cool.
Good luck! I hope this may be helpful.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 9:05 pm

..yeah..if that dont work throw a BFH at it...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 10:40 am

A smashed electrode often means worse news. I recommend a compression check.
Back to top Go down
AKC
Amateur
AKC

Name : AKC

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 12:34 am

Sooooooo....

It takes a while get things done sometimes. I was waiting for the pressure regulator to be shipped, finally said screw it, cancelled it and picked one up at NAPA. Of course it was $30.00 more but, what the hey.

FPR swap was straightforward and done in about half an hour.

Fuel pump was a bit more involved as the retaining ring was stuck on there pretty good. PB took care of that while I did the FPR. The Delphi pump has a different connector on it, so you have to splice in the one that comes with it.. Not too hard, and that took care of that.

Double checked everything, hooked up the FP gauge, stuck the key in, gave it a turn, 25 psi. Off, waited 10 secs, turned on again, Bingo! 41psi, right where it should be.

Started it up, fired right off, seems to be running pretty good, no leaks. Wait, whats that smoke? Aw man! What's with the pinhole on the fuel line at the rail? frown

God, I love 17 year old fuel injected cars. Looks like I'll be getting a couple of Dorman line kits tomorrow and replacing those as well. Might as well do them both. Then look into the stainless line replacement mod.

It's a good thing I like this car.... rolleyes
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:31 am

I dont see anyone replacing just the FP motor? is this not possible? or do you have to swap out the entire unit?
Back to top Go down
AKC
Amateur
AKC

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:48 am

You can replace just the motor, I went ahead and did the complete unit.

Especially considering that the bloody car ran out of gas on me the other day without a "low fuel" light.

I was running it down for the fuel pump change, it still said I had 1/8th of a tank and buh-buh-buuuuuh.... dead.

Had to call for gas, man I was pissed at myself for trusting a gauge/light. Shoulda known better. rolleyes
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:02 am

damn! Would it be cheaper still,if you just changed the motor and the level sender? and where do you buy just a motor?
Back to top Go down
AKC
Amateur
AKC

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Alright, sorry to be so long updating....

Ordered one each 800-057 and 800-058 fuel lines (one is 5/16" and the other is 3/8"), have to say my first attempt at replacing them didn't go too well. I just couldn't get the stock metal fitting into the line without kinking it. I tried everything, finally gave up and ordered the 800-300 kit, on the premise that these wouldn't be the only fuel lines that needed fixing eventually.

It's worth the "ouch!" of the initial cost, made life a lot easier. Got the 5/16" line replaced first (the return line I assume and the one that was leaking.) then went ahead and replaced the 3/8" line just for good measure.

Got it all put back together, fired it up, no leaks! Yay! yay

Now I can take it out for a post fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator replacement spin.

DAYAM! De car, she get up and go now! It had that feeling when I'd get on the highway like I was giving her the spurs but pulling back on the reins. Not anymore! Giddyup! happy

So that ends my saga of reluctant go-go, for now....

I even got a box of new plugs for the carpet in the trunk, a couple were missing and the rest had obviously been reused a couple times.

Thanks again for all your help and advice folks! sunny
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Quote :
Especially considering that the bloody car ran out of gas on me the other day without a "low fuel" light.

I was running it down for the fuel pump change, it still said I had 1/8th of a tank and buh-buh-buuuuuh.... dead.

Had to call for gas, man I was pissed at myself for trusting a gauge/light. Shoulda known better.

If you read back to post #2 in this thread, I had the same thing happen. I thought I ran out of gas, too - but actually the pump was just stuck, because it needed replaced, like yours. Filling with gas seemed to do the trick, but really what happened was the added fuel actually unset the pump. If you had given it no fuel and just given the trunk floor a hard tap, it would have started right up.

Now that you've replaced the pump, you should be able to trust the fuel light again. Take a can of gas in the trunk the first time, just in case. Glad to hear she's back and running again!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
AKC
Amateur
AKC

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks, but actually, I had run it down pretty far, further than I ever had before. I knew I was pushing it.

I remembered your post.

I did thump the pump, gave the back end a shake, didn't hear any slosh. I really did run it out.

Thanks again for all the help and advice. happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....   Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Starts, stutters and stops - sometimes....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2