The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in

Share | 

FAQ: Installing Front Speakers

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
stydel311
Enthusiast

Name : Michael
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Installing Front Speakers   Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Front passenger speaker on my car is starting to rattle. Is it possible to buy the stock speakers? Don't want to spend much and I don't really want to upgrade it at all, just need to get rid of the rattling speaker. I tried looking for component speakers but all I can really find are sets that come with separate tweeters. Can I just use the 5.25 out of the set and use my stock tweeters that are in the doors already?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert

Name : Scott
Merit : 179

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Installing Front Speakers   Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:00 am

stydel311 wrote:
Can I just use the 5.25 out of the set and use my stock tweeters that are in the doors already?

Wired correctly, yes you can. However, it won't sound right. The factory speakers are component speakers and are a matching pair. The overall resistance of an aftermarket component will not be the same. The end result is a wattage difference which changes the sound output.

Can it be done? Yeah. You're better off buying a decent set of 3-way coaxials that don't need a ton of wattage and just replace the fronts completely.
Back to top Go down
stydel311
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Installing Front Speakers   Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Abaddon wrote:
stydel311 wrote:
Can I just use the 5.25 out of the set and use my stock tweeters that are in the doors already?

Wired correctly, yes you can. However, it won't sound right. The factory speakers are component speakers and are a matching pair. The overall resistance of an aftermarket component will not be the same. The end result is a wattage difference which changes the sound output.

Can it be done? Yeah. You're better off buying a decent set of 3-way coaxials that don't need a ton of wattage and just replace the fronts completely.

3-way coaxials and then leaving the factory tweeter unhooked right?
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic

Name : Jeff
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Installing Front Speakers   Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:37 pm

I installed the Infinity 5 1/4" coaxials and yes, left the factory tweeter disconnected.
I look forward to adding an aftermarket head unit at some point to gain some power.
The factory unit doesn't seem to drive the new speakers hard enough for their best sound.

Jbird
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert

Name : Scott
Merit : 179

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Installing Front Speakers   Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:52 am

jbird wrote:
I installed the Infinity 5 1/4" coaxials and yes, left the factory tweeter disconnected.
I look forward to adding an aftermarket head unit at some point to gain some power.
The factory unit doesn't seem to drive the new speakers hard enough for their best sound.

This.

Yes, leave it unhooked. New speakers will not be as loud with the factory radio, no. I ended up doing Alpine all the way around. The factory speakers are "matched" to the radio.....designed as a system. Unless you change the radio as well, aftermarket speakers won't sound right hooked up directly. If you run an amplifier, well that changes things a bit lol
Back to top Go down
stydel311
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Installing Front Speakers   Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Abaddon wrote:
jbird wrote:

This.

Yes, leave it unhooked. New speakers will not be as loud with the factory radio, no. I ended up doing Alpine all the way around. The factory speakers are "matched" to the radio.....designed as a system. Unless you change the radio as well, aftermarket speakers won't sound right hooked up directly. If you run an amplifier, well that changes things a bit lol

I'll have to do some looking then. I don't plan on putting an aftermarket head unit in unless it's a Sony XAV unit since they look the most inconspicuous out of any of the head units I've looked at, but they're quite expensive so probably not happening. Pretty much any of the non-touch screen units I've seen are a no go for me.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic

Name : Jeff
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Installing Front Speakers   Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Some have added amps to the factory unit but I would like to gain bluetooth/hands free phone.
Deepfrozen in the "interior work" thread shows his dash with a Pioneer unit that looks pretty nice & its reasonably priced. If I had my way it would have a black volume knob though.
Jbird
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Installing Front Speakers   

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Installing Front Speakers
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3