Hey guys, here's a neat little DIY project that doesn't cost much and can be done in a couple of hours! One of our members on Club RSX did this with red premium felt because he didn't feel like spending $400 on a used red Type-R carpet, and who can blame him?
For this DIY, you aren't removing your stock carpet, you're simply laying some soft fabric over it and securing it around the edges and seat/trim bolts.
For about $20, go to JoAnn fabrics and pick out some stuff. For my car, the premium felt almost sticks like mild velcro to the original carpet, but since they didn't have it in yellow, I bought some anti-pill microfleece. Three yards more than did it for my car, so it should be roughly that amount for the Riv.
The next step is to take out your seats, see if you can pop up the center consoles at all, and pop up the rear seat cushion. What we did is take the fabric in three pieces: one to go from under the back seat to just past the front seats' rear bolts, securing them with the bolts and seat hooks. You can bring this back to wherever the edge of the carpeting is in the Riv, whether or not it's under the rear seats. Next, see if the trim is loose enough to tuck the edges of the fabric under along the sides. Take a credit card you don't mind getting trashed and tuck away!
Then, take two longer pieces for each side from the front seat rear bolts all the way up to the front edge of the carpeting and tuck as much as you can. You may need to get creative at the front edge of the carpeting, and the fabric may bunch up if there's too much excess.
Here's how mine came out. If you want to change the color of your carpet in the Riv, this would be a quick way to see if you like your next color.
Now, there was a lot of bad bunching on mine in the passenger footwell area, and the way I move my feet while driving was dragging down the carpet next to the gas pedal, so I got creative and used some finishing washers and M6 bolts I had for under the hood to secure everything. You aren't going to see this much anyway, and the rest of it came out great, so I'm happy!
Here is the original poster's results:
And one more: