Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Power Steering Fluid

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

Name : Christian Rolf Köhn
Merit : 14

Power Steering Fluid Empty
PostSubject: Power Steering Fluid   Power Steering Fluid EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Hello,

I just have a question:

What type/brand of fluid do I use to fill the power steering? bonk

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid   Power Steering Fluid EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:05 pm

I use Prestone.Works good.I also add a little Lucas P/S fluid to keep things nice & quiet.
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid   Power Steering Fluid EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Thank you robo, Is that like a red fluid or transparent fluid?
can I use something like Dexron II or III?

I'm asking this because I know if you mix different fluids you will weak the seals and cause leaks on the system. This happened to me on a ' 01 cavalier, I use the Autozone Power steering fluid and it was kind transparent when the original fluid is red and later on i had a leak at the rack and pinion when I had none at that time frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid   Power Steering Fluid EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Ive only ever used Prestone with the Lucas stop leak.I use the Lucas Because its compatible with any P/S fluid and it works to keep seals pliable and squeek free. Prestone is clear wit the Lucas being red.

Seafoam makes a P/Steering flush chemical to flush the system and then refill with the fluid of your choice. I havnt done this yet But I plan too.

I am not sure but using Tranny fluid in place of the P/S fluid dont sound so good...

I also might add that as a rule I dont believe in additives of any kind. But I do like the Lucas stuff. It took away my P/S whine real quick.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid   Power Steering Fluid EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Do not use transmission fluid in the power steering. This system wants power steering fluid. I use prestone. It should be drained and refilled occasionally.

Every power steering system is different. In the old days we substituted ATF with no problem. I wouldn't do that today.
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid   Power Steering Fluid EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Yup, i know it used to be where you can use just ATF, I think on the Service manual of the cavalier mentioned something like dexron II, so I was not sure what to use with the Riviera. I guess I would use the Preston P/S fluid and try the Lucas stuff happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid   Power Steering Fluid Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Steering Fluid
Page 1 of 1