Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

riviera diagnostic tool

Go down 
+4
LARRY70GS
jiom710
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jiom710
Special

Name : john smith
Merit : 0

riviera diagnostic tool Empty
PostSubject: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm

hi
can anyone help i have my engine light on and i have plugged in my diagnostic machine( innova 1403) this cannot read it i also asked my friend to try it as he has got the latest launch diagnostic reader this also could not read it
the car i h help ave is a 95 buick riviera help
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 4:29 pm

A 95 is OBD 1, in case you weren't aware. Need a tool to read OBD 1.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 4:39 pm

To clarify the 95 is OBD 1.5, which is an OBD2 connector but runs slightly enhanced OBD 1 software.

It needs to be a tool that can do both OBD 1 and 2 to have the bits and pieces it needs for scanning OBD 1.5.

Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm

jiom710 wrote:
hi
can anyone help i have my engine light on and i have plugged in my diagnostic machine( innova 1403) this cannot read it i also asked my friend to try it as he has got the latest launch diagnostic reader this also could not read it
the car i h help ave is a 95 buick riviera help

Whenever you join a Board like this, you should fully fill out your profile so that your location comes up when you post. Help could be around the corner, and they would never know it. I'd help if you lived close by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
jiom710
Special

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:07 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
A 95 is OBD 1, in case you weren't aware. Need a tool to read OBD 1.

i am aware that this has obd1 diagnostics but it it has a obd2 plug though the diagnostic tool i have the innova1403 is a obd1&2 reader and this does not work
Back to top Go down
jiom710
Special

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Karma wrote:
To clarify the 95 is OBD 1.5, which is an OBD2 connector but runs slightly enhanced OBD 1 software.

It needs to be a tool that can do both OBD 1 and 2 to have the bits and pieces it needs for scanning OBD 1.5.

when you say bits and pieces can you please tell me what they would be i have the innova 1403 which is a obd1 &2 reader and this is not reading the fault on the vehicle
Back to top Go down
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Welcome to my Hell...in a way.

I love my Riviera but all 1995 Rivieras are a pain to diagnose. Yes they have the OBD1.5 system. Some GM vehicles including the Corvette for model years 1994 thru 1995 had this advanced version of the OBD system as "test rats" for the all new OBD2 system.

To have your car tested you may try franchise auto body/ oil change places or a local mechanic. Parts stores that say they'll scan your car for free will only use the OBD2 reader. It won't work.

To steer you in some sort of correct direction may I suggest the diagnostic brand Actron. You may find a thread on this site describing the exact model Actron that will work with your 1995. Search by clicking on the Search tab, click on the Advanced Search and type in Actron. Here's hoping it will get you where you need to be.

My parents bought me an OBD2 device that reads OBD1 codes as well, this did not work on my Riv. It is an Innova: Equus 3160. I wasn't even able to use it on my 1993 Miata as it uses a pin system. Thankfully I haven't had to use it with the Crossfire. So as it sits the device in no use to me. Bummer as it was my only Christmas gift a few years back.

There are some charming things about the 1995 Riviera that is not seen on the 1996-99 models. Our cars have recessed radios maintaining that clean smooth end-to-end retro dash appearance. Also we have the classic style metal seatbelts with GM push button release. Really just a few quirks making it different.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
slugranch
Amateur

Name : Gary Miller

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 7:17 am

I bought a scanner cable that is supposed to let me read the computer by plugging into the port and yet let me read the computer with my OBD 1 reader, by plugging onto an OBD 2 port. My next problem is finding the port. It's been stuffed up under the dash somewhere, & I have to locate it.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 9:08 am

Drivers side, above your left knee, under the dash.

Back to top Go down
David Jennings
Amateur

Name : David Reese Jennings

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Hello. I bought an Actron 9145 for use on my 95 Riviera SC. It works great. Search Actron 9145 on this site and you will see a discussion and a picture.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 am

LARRY70GS wrote:

There is a slight chance you'll have to remove the panel to fish out the cable/connector. No biggie.
Back to top Go down
slugranch
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptySun Sep 30, 2018 12:05 pm

albertj wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:

There is a slight chance you'll have to remove the panel to fish out the cable/connector.  No biggie.

Aha,,,Apparently someone has removed the knee bolster under the dash along with the datalink port. They have butt connected a few of the datalink wires gripe together causing ( I Think) the CES light to stay on continuously along with the security light to stay on also. Another problem just cropped up. Car wouldn't start yesterday, which isn't normal. Raised hood and found that one of our local squirrels has started a condo on the rear of the supercharger, and removed a little hood insulation for comfort, then proceeded to dine on spark plug wire going to #2 Plug. So today I'm replacing the wire. OMG! not much room to access the rear plugs is there? Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the wire colors to connect up a datalink port if I can find one? puzzled
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptySun Sep 30, 2018 2:26 pm

What year Riviera?

Back to top Go down
slugranch
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 5:17 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
What year Riviera?
 Sorry Larry.  It's a 95.  Replaced plug wire, and fired it up.  Was a picnic getting new wire under supercharger and back in the rear on the plug.  My biggest problem is my hands don't work as good as they did 20 years ago, but,,,,I  it done. Now I need to go to the valley,(Portland area) and find the knee bolster, and datalink port, driver's side door light lense, and then get her painted.
Oh yeah, forgot to tell yeah. The parts guy said to put a Bounce fabric softener sheet or two on the engine area where the squirrel is nesting. It will discourage the little devil from nesting there.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 1:57 pm

You need someone with a 95 Factory Service Manual for the wiring.  Mine is a 98.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Oldsmobile-Aurora-Buick-Riviera-OEM-Service-Shop-Manual-2-Vol-Set/123202425061?hash=item1caf6fd0e5:g:CpkAAOSwySlaHINU

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: riviera diagnostic tool   riviera diagnostic tool Empty

Back to top Go down

riviera diagnostic tool
Page 1 of 1