Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator Empty
PostSubject: Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator   Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:14 pm

I've been doing some detailing on my cars over the last week or so and I stumbled upon a new product I had never tried before. It's called Surf City Garage Voodoo Leather Rejuvenator and I highly recommend it. I found it at Pep Boys. thumbsup
Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator 133new10
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator   Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:08 pm

why would you use this instead of saddle soap, which works great, smells great, and is (probably) mad cheaper?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator   Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Jus my pennies worth of chemical knowledge,Saddle soap aint the best for painted leathers,which is what our seats are.Saddle soap just kinda smears.it cleans but is intended for either bare or tanned leather or saddles..Typically speaking.Most leather cleaners contain Lanolin & glycerin like saddle soap but have a few extra components like Aloe to treat the leather below.How the rubbery synthetic coating allows these formulas to penetrate into the leather(according to the manfacture) is a mystery to me?
the best formulas contain no oils or waxes.saddle soaps and waxes actually penetrate the leather and over time can damage and crack the modern coatings.car seats.
I've allwas had excelent results with Lexol.I like the Mcguirs & mothers stuff too.
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator   Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Some people believe that saddle soap is actually harmful to leather check this out. Just an opinion, i personally have never used saddle soap. I have only used meguiar's.
http://www.autogeek.net/nosasopl.html

ha i see Robo had the same thing to say
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator   Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:59 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Jus my pennies worth of chemical knowledge,Saddle soap aint the best for painted leathers,which is what our seats are.Saddle soap just kinda smears.it cleans but is intended for either bare or tanned leather or saddles..Typically speaking.Most leather cleaners contain Lanolin & glycerin like saddle soap but have a few extra components like Aloe to treat the leather below.How the rubbery synthetic coating allows these formulas to penetrate into the leather(according to the manfacture) is a mystery to me?
the best formulas contain no oils or waxes.saddle soaps and waxes actually penetrate the leather and over time can damage and crack the modern coatings.car seats.
I've allwas had excelent results with Lexol.I like the Mcguirs & mothers stuff too.

I noticed that Lexol tended to remove the color on my Riv's seats so I stopped using it there.

I use saddle soap but I follow the directions STRICTLY - you make a foam and use the foam to clean the seats. Use a shaving brush to make the foam. See the can for details.

As for products other than saddle soap, Turtle Wax makes a 2-part kit, first is a leather/vinyl cleaner, 2nd part is a leather conditioner. Works well. They used to make a 1-part cleaner/conditioner but I have not seen it lately and don't have any more.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator   Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 pm

albertj wrote:
why would you use this instead of saddle soap, which works great, smells great, and is (probably) mad cheaper?
I have used saddle soap and quite frankly, I am not all that pleased with the result. Is the Surf City cheap? That depends on your point of view. From my perspective, if it was cheap, I would not be using it on my leather interior...but that's just me. smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator   Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 am

ghpcnm wrote:
albertj wrote:
I have used saddle soap and quite frankly, I am not all that pleased with the result. Is the Surf City cheap? That depends on your point of view. From my perspective, if it was cheap, I would not be using it on my leather interior...but that's just me. smile

Yeah, I get that. Saddle soap is not everyone's cup of tea. Here is a site by George Pavlisko - whom I really respect and is an expert on leather - he's not a fan of saddle soap either:

http://leatherique.com/do_it_your_self_instruction/rejuvinator_pc_directions.html

For some this kit is the shiznit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Leather-Seat-Cleaner-Conditioner-Protectant-Leather-Smell-FREE-SHIPPING-/140764237127?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c633cd47&vxp=mtr

While we are no the subject here is info about blue jean stains

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/blue-jean-transfer-and-leatherique/

So yes saddle soap works for me and I use it alternately with other cleaners and conditioners but it has issues that you pointed out.

My point though is if you're really going to spend $$ and time on leather care I'd take a look at Leatherique and Lane's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator   Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator Empty

Back to top Go down

Surf City Garage Leather Rejuvenator
Page 1 of 1