Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

My 1st question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RvieraRider

Name : Curtis
Merit : 0

My 1st question  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 1st question    My 1st question  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Funny you should mention that. I just noticed the throttle cable the other day. I will take a picture when I get off so you can see it.
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: My 1st question    My 1st question  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 pm

Here's the throttle cable. As far as I can tell everything still works fine, but it looks like the previous owner rigged it up

My 1st question  - Page 2 Thrott10
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: My 1st question    My 1st question  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 am

RvieraRider wrote:
Here's the throttle cable. As far as I can tell everything still works fine, but it looks like the previous owner rigged it up

My 1st question  - Page 2 Thrott10

I thought that might be a problem.

With the car off, have a buddy step on the gaspedal while you watch the linkage. See how it behaves. I bet it's loose.

You have idea why it's rigged like that?

For the rest of you: The cruise linkage is spring loaded and has some play on purpose so that when the servo engages it has a little delay and so that the servo can not override the driver's input so easily. With RIvieraRider's complains I was suspecting the throttle and CC cables might be reversed - it should not be the case because the mounts are different sizes and have different heads, but like anything else it can be done. I kinda wondered if a cable was replaced and the cables reversed at that time.

Now that I see that it's "rigged" I wonder if it's the right accelerator cable to begin with, or if it's mounted wrong somehow.

Probably the thing to do if you need a replacement, since it works more or less, is to call Ed Morad and have them take the whole thing (the bracket and both CC and throttle cables) off the next Riv they get in. Maybe offer $15 for the cables and bracket?!?

Details: there were 3 CC cables - 25615098 for the sc 95, 25617543 for the na 95, 25645398 for every other. There is a retainer 15567924 shown for the 95 cars. for throttle, 25607138 for the sc 95, 25625373 for every other. In the GM data the cables probably both show up on the explosions (the diagrams) for the cruise control. Reason the 95 differs is that it had the old vacuum servo for cruise, the later Rivs all used electronic servo.

In either case I think the throttle cable should go on the left but don't quote me.

The 3800 linkages were similar to the best of my knowledge, probably easiest thing to do is find a repair garage with one or more such cars in for service and compare them side by side, or go to a junkyard where they have one or more in with the engine and TB and what not still in and take some pictures. You can use the part numbers (I think I got them right) to find replacements if you need any. Here is a site with some diagrams:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/CABLE-Accelerator-Control/3015985/25625373.html

My current guess (might be BS though) is the throttle cable was replaced for some reason with a similar but incorrect unit. It also could be that it's supposed to be tied down someplace else in the engine compartment and it is not, so that when you step on the gas what you are feeling is way too much slack in a cable that's flopping around. That may become apparent when you look at what happens when you buddy steps on the throttle. Pulling the cable in the engine compartment is not gonna tell you jack about this problem, you need an assistant.

Anyway, you might end up going to a local or online dealer (and waiting for it to be shipped from Martinsburg or wherever) for the right one. But again that's just a guess.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: My 1st question    My 1st question  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 3:20 pm

I will get my lady to help me with it today when I get off today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 1st question    My 1st question  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My 1st question
Page 1 of 1