HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Antenna replacement, Aftermarket?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
albertj
Guru

Name :
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Antenna replacement, Aftermarket?   Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:47 pm

RivieraRyan wrote:
My antenna stopped retracting so the dealer said to replace it. I was able to get a new motormotor, but am having a hard time locating the Mast. Any help finding OEM part# 19151301 is much appreciated.

Contact Ed Morad, moradpartscompany.com -- the mast interchanges across a number of GM cars and he's bout to have at least one, OR a removed-from-service aftermarket power antenna unit that will fit (they don't all fit right).

I had an aftermarket unit for a while, bought an OE pull from Morad. **Years** ago, it's still working. The hint: keep the shaft clean. That's it, mostly.
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan

Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Antenna replacement, Aftermarket?   Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:01 pm

How do I clean it? I can hear the motor working when I cut the engine off and if I run around and push it down with my hand before the motor stopsstops, it goes down. Maybe if I clean it well I don't even need to replace it and I can return the new motor.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Antenna replacement, Aftermarket?   Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:27 pm

The problem is the plastic cord that moves the antenna gets crap on it and you can't really get it of. If you**keep** it clan from the get-go there never is enough dirt buildup to matter.

You keep it clean by wiping it off while it is extended. Wipe off the dirt, salt spray etc with a clean rag before the antenna retracts. You can lube it with a little DOT 5 silicone brake fluid, WD40 on a rag, or other light lubricant BUT you have to keep in clean because those lubes hod dirt too.

Did I say you have to keep it clean?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
95riviboy93
Rookie

Name : Eric
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Antenna replacement, Aftermarket?   Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:23 am

My 95 radio comes on but no stations work. Radio never been taken out. Where is the fuse or relay to the antenna?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Antenna replacement, Aftermarket?   Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:41 am

95riviboy93 wrote:
My 95 radio comes on but no stations work. Radio never been taken out. Where is the fuse or relay to the antenna?

What does "no stations work" mean: that you can tune the radio manually but you get no reception, or that the buttons don't map to stations when you use Auto Set or something else perhaps?

What you can do quickly is pull off the trunk liner by the antenna and check the wiring for disconnection or corrosion.

There are 4 fuse blocks. The maps and locations are listed in the owners manual, if you don't have an owners manual do a Google or Yahoo search to find one on line - several pdfs of the various year G body Riv's are on line in various places. GM has posted many of them, here is the '96 manual: https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/1996/buick/riviera/1996_buick_riviera_owners.pdf - that said, you'll likely need the service manual or you will need to manually trace/test the circuits to figure out what fuse the power antenna goes to, because I do not think it is by itself in any of the fuse blocks. I think it is attached to one of the "always on" circuits such as is the cigarette lighter in the dash. It may help to know that when the car's "retained accessory power" goes off, the antenna's still on (it retracts). The passenger compartment power point (on the *side* of the console) is on an accessory circuit that is switched when the car is on/off.

If your antenna is an aftermarket replacement there may be an in-line fuse to it back with the antenna. If there was bodywork done to the car then the antenna may have been connected to a convenient circuit instead of the original one. In any event my guess is that you're looking for one or another fuse or breaker in one of the 2 underseat fuse blocks, but I admit I never had to figure that out.

Back to top Go down

Antenna replacement, Aftermarket?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3