Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Got My Riv BACK!!!!!

Go down 
+4
turtleman
AA
ghpcnm
Lisa P
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lisa P

Name : Lisa P
Merit : 2

Got My Riv BACK!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Got My Riv BACK!!!!!   Got My Riv BACK!!!!! EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:30 pm

In the day I leased a 1995 and a 1998 Buick Riviera gave them back and have missed them ever since. Found a 1997 gray on gray, 1997 with 77,623 miles driven by a 74 year old Italian lady who did everything at the dealership (have car fax) purchased for ...wait for it....$2495.00!

The bad news is she smoked in it like a chimney for 15 years. The seat belt is dark brown and feels oily. I have a appointment at a auto detailer who uses a steam extraction system and an Ozone defogger. Anyone ever replace a driver seat belt?

Why would the top of the opening to the fuel tank be rusted? (Where you tighten the cap?)

This car is tight handling, although I have only heard the air suspension come on once and the day after I got it home thought the tire was going flat heard a hissing sound. Any ideas?

The engine temperature mildly creeps when idling at a light, so checked the reserve is a tad low, then read a thread about checking the radiator as well. ( I love this site!) Do you add distilled water to the radiator?

No Moon roof or mirrors that angle down when she goes into reverse. Why does the driver's side mirror vibrate and the passenger one does not?

Found some chrome stock wheels that I plan on replacing the current standard aluminum ones. Anything I should know about doing this before hand?

Traction control light is on got the dealership to check the codes and its the sensor in the rear left wheel. Got that saw the post. (Did I mention I love this site)

Steering wheel has slight slop.

Small rip in the passenger seat and oxidation on the exterior. My goal is to correct everything and use this as the daily driver here in Metro Detroit. I typically put 8,000 miles a year on a car so I figure I'll hit 100,000 miles in 2016!

Any heads up on what to check or watch for would be greatly appreciated! grimace
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Got My Riv BACK!!!!!   Got My Riv BACK!!!!! EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:18 pm

WELCOME !!! hi

* This stuff works on the seat belts : http://www.prowax.com/cleaners/C-28-Q_Seat_Belt_Cleaner.html

* You should have no problem whatsoever with the stock rims. However, if you go with aftermarket rims, be sure and check for proper lug spacing and get the proper hub rings.

* Regarding coolant, I always get a pre-mix 50/50 coolant at the parts store. I never ever add just plain water.

Last edited by ghpcnm on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Got My Riv BACK!!!!!   Got My Riv BACK!!!!! EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi Lisa. Welcome. Congrats on the new Riv!

I think the seat belt should clean up pretty well. Let the detailers do their magic. I don't know about replacing the belt. Maybe someone can help.

The fuel filler tube is a rust spot. Mine's got some. Others have seen theirs rust out. It's one of those things they skimped on. For more on rust: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6233-faq-rust-areas-concerns

If you hear the air hissing constantly, and you're sure it's not a tire, might want to have the rear shocks and air lines inspected or replaced. More on ALC issues: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2995-faq-automatic-leveling-control-alc-concerns

Coolant does get warmer when you're sitting idle, and if you have the supercharged engine, it runs hotter than the non-SC version. You may need to flush the coolant - it's only good for 5 years. If it's low, add a 50/50 mix of coolant + distilled. You can also by DexCool 50/50 premixed.

Driver side mirror may be loose?

The Chrome wheels are nice, but they have a tendency to corrode inside and leak air around the bead. This can be fixed by a competent tire tech. Also, try to avoid filling with air from gas stations and unknown sources, which may contain moisture that can make the problem worse.

Steering slop: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6471-faq-steering-column-slop-problems-replacement

Good luck. Hope to see your car in our Showroom!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Got My Riv BACK!!!!!   Got My Riv BACK!!!!! EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:56 pm

A thorough pro detailing should take care off the smoke stuff. Definitely let them do the seat belt and even try on your own after if it's not clean enough before replacing because it's not the easiest thing to replace. I haven't even taken mine all the way out but I can tell you the bolt at the top of the b-pillar is extremely difficult. It's made to go in once and never come out. I'm pretty sure the previous owner of my car smoked plenty. The dealership I bought it from had it detailed and I wouldn't even have known if it weren't for the cig burns in the pillars and stuff. It should come out nice for you.

coolant - about how far does it creep to?

And Welcome!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Got My Riv BACK!!!!!   Got My Riv BACK!!!!! EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:04 pm

I judge people. Yeah, I said it. People who voted for Bush, people who don't iron their clothes, people who smoke cigarettes, etc.. No offense to any of you Bush voting, wrinkly clothed, smokers or anything.

I have some nasty burn marks from the previous owner of my riv. Right on the lip of the fabric around the sunroof. Leave it to smokers to not pay attention and burn the upholstering in their car. Good job, previous owner!

This just reminded me of the 2 ash trays on the sides of the back seat. Anyone turn those into anything useful?

And that just reminded of cigarette lighters and how they've become nomenclature for a type of electrical outlet. 'Hey man, do you have a cigarette light adapter? I want to use this thing made for lighting cigarettes to charge my phone."

Anyways, welcome to the club! If you look under the hood and you don't see a blower sitting on your engine then add it to the list of upgrades/christmas wish list! 3gears

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Got My Riv BACK!!!!!   Got My Riv BACK!!!!! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:41 am

Heh, heh. This should be a fun welcome thread. poop

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Selcouth
Amateur
Selcouth

Name : Jonny
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Got My Riv BACK!!!!!   Got My Riv BACK!!!!! EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Welcome. Post some pics of the new ride when you get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Got My Riv BACK!!!!!   Got My Riv BACK!!!!! EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Nice buy. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Got My Riv BACK!!!!!   Got My Riv BACK!!!!! EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 1:18 pm

AA wrote:
Heh, heh. This should be a fun welcome thread. poop
tavis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got My Riv BACK!!!!!   Got My Riv BACK!!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Got My Riv BACK!!!!!
Page 1 of 1