Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sinner78
Special

Name : DJ
Merit : 0

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues Empty
PostSubject: 1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues   1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi all I have 2 problems with my 1996 Buick. The first one is when I start the car it takes a few tries. It'll almost turn over but then just not start up. The starter is good but the car just won't start on the first try. Also part of this problem is my car will sometimes just die as I'm driving. It happens less now that I have had the battery replaced but the car will die going anywhere from 35 up to 60 and I'll have to pull over and start the car again. I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

The second problem is when I'm driving uphill the car will hunt between 3rd and 4th gear. It never did this before and the car has been sitting for a while. If I downshift into 3rd manually the car does fine. I'm just worried this might be a problem with the transmission. I checked the fluid and even added a little hoping this would fix the problem but it didn't. Can anyone help me with these problems or give me some advice? I'm not flushed with cash so hope the fixes aren't too expensive. Thank you all.
Back to top Go down
crstump

Name : Corey
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues   1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:46 pm

does it shake badly when you give it a lil gas when in high gear and seems it won't shift down? if so i had same problem, its a miss fire. local auto zone does free diagnostics and they will be able to tell you which cylinder is miss firing. my past two times this has happened it was the coil pack, cylinder 3. the first time it was coil pack, 2.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues   1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 4:58 pm

sinner78 wrote:
Hi all I have 2 problems with my 1996 Buick. The first one is when I start the car it takes a few tries. It'll almost turn over but then just not start up. The starter is good but the car just won't start on the first try. Also part of this problem is my car will sometimes just die as I'm driving. It happens less now that I have had the battery replaced but the car will die going anywhere from 35 up to 60 and I'll have to pull over and start the car again. I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

The second problem is when I'm driving uphill the car will hunt between 3rd and 4th gear. It never did this before and the car has been sitting for a while. If I downshift into 3rd manually the car does fine. I'm just worried this might be a problem with the transmission. I checked the fluid and even added a little hoping this would fix the problem but it didn't. Can anyone help me with these problems or give me some advice? I'm not flushed with cash so hope the fixes aren't too expensive. Thank you all.

what is your car's mileage and when was the last time you (1) had the transmission flushed or drained and filled (2) replaced the cam and / or crank sensor?
Back to top Go down
DKWagner
Special
DKWagner

Name : Don Wagner
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues   1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 2:54 pm

crstump wrote:
does it shake badly when you give it a lil gas when in high gear and seems it won't shift down? if so i had same problem, its a miss fire. local auto zone does free diagnostics and they will be able to tell you which cylinder is miss firing. my past two times this has happened it was the coil pack, cylinder 3. the first time it was coil pack, 2.

DKWagner wrote:
I've never offered help before, I'm a app/db programmer and I couldn't figure out this simple procedure.
It needs better labeling for new users and toss the emoticons out on their dorky little heads or put them in a popup.)
If one of the 3-Ignition Coils is intermittent or gone, replace all three. After replacing one, I was still having some acceleration issues and idling was intermittently rough. I bought another found the second one and then just went back and bought the 3rd. It only took ten minutes to remove, "clean everything", and replace the coils. Amazed that I drove around for several months with issues like yours. Of course it could be something else too, but if I knew then what I know now, I would changed them at 100K+miles. Hope this helps. Bought mine at Advanced or Auto-Zone. Replacements were not numbered. Note which plug wire goes to which connection. You could buy one and swap it between the 3 positions, but you may have issues with more than one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Dial411.Info
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues   1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues Empty

Back to top Go down

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2 issues
Page 1 of 1