Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Heater is being stubborn...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RiverUPnGO
Amateur
RiverUPnGO

Name : Brady
Merit : 0

Heater is being stubborn... Empty
PostSubject: Heater is being stubborn...   Heater is being stubborn... EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 3:12 pm

So discovered the heater isnt being proper. I checked coolant levels and they are clean and filled to proper level still. So i let the car warm up and I got it up to a temp of 190 or close to it. Turned the heat to 90 and it blew warm for 5 seconds and then it was cool again. I tried all settings with no success. So I turned off the heater for 5 min turned it back on and i got that rush of warm air again for a few seconds and then cool again.

However I turned the heat to low so I could hear the engine bay and i could keep hearing a click noise near the firewall every 20 seconds. just kept going click.....click......click..... I couldnt find a water valve actuator anywhere am i blind? i just would like some insight of where to start but i have a feeling the clicking noise is the issue whatever part thats coming from because when i turn the heater off i dont get clicking anymore....Thanks for any insight....

*also I felt the water hoses going to core and one was warm the other on the cooler side. I saw some things about a clog in other posts but I dont feel thats the issue after hearing the repetitive clicking every 20 sec . i feel like a valve is not staying open but i cant see it.
Back to top Go down
http://bietau85@gmail.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Heater is being stubborn...   Heater is being stubborn... EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 8:07 pm

sounds like you have air trapped in the heater core, or maybe a clogged heater core. When was the system low on coolant, and for how long? There is a bleeder screw on top of the thermostat to let air out there, but that won't get air out of the core.

There is no water valve, there is full flow to the heater core all the time. Temp is regulated by blend doors inside, that's all.

It may be worth your time to remove the heater hoses and run a garden hose through the heater core to flush it out, and see for yourself that flow is good. If the heater core is clogged, and only a tiny bit is flowing through, you may get the '5 seconds of warmth' issue you are seeing.

Have you had the 'coolant turned to nearly mud' issue, like nobody ever changed the coolant in the car's life?
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Heater is being stubborn...   Heater is being stubborn... EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 9:08 am

With 5 blend door actuators I would be pulling panels and checking operation of each one. They are known to have issues.
Back to top Go down
RiverUPnGO
Amateur
RiverUPnGO

PostSubject: Re: Heater is being stubborn...   Heater is being stubborn... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:41 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Have you had the 'coolant turned to nearly mud' issue, like nobody ever changed the coolant in the car's life?

Yea its super clean. I bought the car from a 90 year old man 2 years ago who was good on taking the car to dealer for maintenance. overall its clean but lately i have been getting issues here and there. How does a heater core get clogged if the coolant is super clean? also the clicking noise i repetitively hear, would that be the door to the core trying to open up?
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

Name : Mike
Merit : 18

PostSubject: Re: Heater is being stubborn...   Heater is being stubborn... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Sounds like the blend door is sticking or the actuator and it's clicking. When I shut off my car there is loud clicking behind the dash as the actuator tries to close the doors.
Back to top Go down
RiverUPnGO
Amateur
RiverUPnGO

PostSubject: Re: Heater is being stubborn...   Heater is being stubborn... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:56 am

sniperdude wrote:
Sounds like the blend door is sticking or the actuator and it's clicking. When I shut off my car there is loud clicking behind the dash as the actuator tries to close the doors.

You have any idea where this door is at? I believe its time for me to buy a service manual for hidden things such as this....
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: Heater is being stubborn...   Heater is being stubborn... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Other than the obviously stupid "behind the dash" answer, not much for you to go on.

I would assume you would need to follow the ductwork to the blend doors.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: Heater is being stubborn...   Heater is being stubborn... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:33 pm

RiverUPnGO wrote:
I believe its time for me to buy a service manual for hidden things such as this....

I would recommend getting them as well. Here's a real cheap copy http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Olds-AURORA-Buick-RIVIERA-Factory-Shop-Service-Manual-2-Volume-Set-/221156014751?hash=item337decfa9f&item=221156014751&pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr

Make sure you get the tan cover ones, because they were the second (and final) revision of the service manuals. The blue ones are the first edition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heater is being stubborn...   Heater is being stubborn... Empty

Back to top Go down

Heater is being stubborn...
Page 1 of 1