Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

car still wont start

Go down 
+2
AA
dartcars
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dartcars
Rookie

Name : Josh
Merit : 0

car still wont start  Empty
PostSubject: car still wont start    car still wont start  EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 12:02 pm

i have a 97 buick riviera i recently changed the crank shaft position sensor it cranks over but still wont start what could the problem be?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: car still wont start    car still wont start  EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Has there been any SES lamp or other codes? If so, you may need to perform a CASE learn procedure. Having said that, I've never done one, even after removing the engine for rebuild. Still, it's easy to do, just in case.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: car still wont start    car still wont start  EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 1:50 pm

dartcars wrote:
i have a 97 buick riviera i recently changed the crank shaft position sensor it cranks over but still wont start what could the problem be?

Find out what the engine is missing, fuel, air, spark. Check for a spark at a plug wire. Check the fuel pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: car still wont start    car still wont start  EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Has the car ran since changing the crank sensor? If not, was no start your reason for changing it?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: car still wont start    car still wont start  EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 11:26 pm

dartcars wrote:

Quickest way to diagnose is with a Tech II or equivalent.

- check if the fuel pump is working, command it on and check pressure
--telltale, turn the switch to ON position, see if you can hear the fuel pump run to prime the ignition -- it does that as part of the start sequence
- check for spark (can use a dummy plug DO NOT RUN THE COILS w/o PLUGS OR DUMMIES)
- check for air, starting with the air filter (how clean), the air flow sensor (is it plugged in) the throttle body (clean screen).
- check if you are getting a crank sensor and a cam sensor signal
- check if the security system is working ok (SECURITY light goes out while cranking)

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: car still wont start    car still wont start  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 7:57 am

dartcars wrote:

bigdave wrote:
Has the car ran since changing the crank sensor? If not, was no start your reason for changing it?

I agree, why did you replace the CPS, and did it run after changing it?

There have been others with wiring harness issues where the wire from the sensor became brittle and broke next to the firewall connection of the engine harness. It's worth checking wire resistance on the CPS wiring back to the PCM. You can also have someone tug gently on the harness here and there while you are cranking to see if it suddenly fires up. If that works, you have a broken wire somewhere... but that may not work either.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: car still wont start    car still wont start  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 7:39 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
dartcars wrote:

bigdave wrote:

I agree, why did you replace the CPS, and did it run after changing it?

There have been others with wiring harness issues where the wire from the sensor became brittle and broke next to the firewall connection of the engine harness. It's worth checking wire resistance on the CPS wiring back to the PCM. You can also have someone tug gently on the harness here and there while you are cranking to see if it suddenly fires up. If that works, you have a broken wire somewhere... but that may not work either.

I forgot all about this --- check the big harness connector a t the firewall for an intermittent open especially in the wires on the corners of the big plugs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: car still wont start    car still wont start  Empty

Back to top Go down

car still wont start
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General-
Jump to: