Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????

Go down 
+3
AA
deekster_caddy
MrWood88
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MrWood88
Amateur
MrWood88

Name : James Wood
Merit : 1

Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? Empty
PostSubject: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 6:39 pm

sometimes i hear a water rushing noise while driving seems to be coming from the passenger side dash anyone have an idea about what this is???
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:32 pm

check that your evaporator drain is clear. It's a little guy under the hood near the passenger's feet that looks like a duckbill pointing down. Push a piece of coathanger up inside and see if it's plugged up. (Watch out for water dumping out on you when you break it free)
Back to top Go down
MrWood88
Amateur
MrWood88

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:39 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
check that your evaporator drain is clear. It's a little guy under the hood near the passenger's feet that looks like a duckbill pointing down. Push a piece of coathanger up inside and see if it's plugged up. (Watch out for water dumping out on you when you break it free)
OK ill give it a try so if it is gummed up a little just use the coat hanger to get it out?

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:41 pm

pretty much the coathanger will poke a hole through the debris (if that's what it is). My car never had this issue so I can't tell you how far in it'll go before hitting the crud.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:25 pm

I once had this sound and found my coolant level was low. The gurgling sound was actually air circulating though the heater core. Check the coolant level, top off in necessary. This could be an indicator of a leak or some other problem.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:35 pm

I heard the same after I changed my LIM elbows, went away within seconds though. I only heard it once when I pulled out of the driveway in reverse for a test run.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 3:29 pm

AA wrote:
I once had this sound and found my coolant level was low. The gurgling sound was actually air circulating though the heater core. Check the coolant level, top off in necessary. This could be an indicator of a leak or some other problem.
Definitely check/bleed the coolant system, I had this same sound after replacing the radiator in my park avenue.
Back to top Go down
MrWood88
Amateur
MrWood88

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Awesome thnx guys for all the info !!
any certain way to flush the system i seen ours has a nipple on the thermostat housing to aid flushing.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 10:31 pm

After I replaced my radiator and water pump, some air entered the system. The gurgling went away after 2-3 trips. The bleeder valve will work, but air will eventually exit the system on its own through the overflow reservoir. If the problem persists, you can try the bleeder, but chances are there's a leak or somewhere to let air enter the system.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 10:44 pm

AA wrote:
After I replaced my radiator and water pump, some air entered the system. The gurgling went away after 2-3 trips. The bleeder valve will work, but air will eventually exit the system on its own through the overflow reservoir. If the problem persists, you can try the bleeder, but chances are there's a leak or somewhere to let air enter the system.

...and you can "move things along" by parking the car on an incline or putting the front on jackstands then "burping" the air using the bleeder on the thermostat housing.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Before you start the car you'll want to be sure that the radiator and overflow are filled to their proper levels.
Allow the car to reach operating temp and crack the bleeder on the thermostat housing. When fluid comes out without any bubbles close it up.
Back to top Go down
MrWood88
Amateur
MrWood88

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 11:42 pm

97 park ave wrote:
Before you start the car you'll want to be sure that the radiator and overflow are filled to their proper levels.
Allow the car to reach operating temp and crack the bleeder on the thermostat housing. When fluid comes out without any bubbles close it up.
Awesome thanks bro
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Sorry I missed this sooner...

Aaron & Albert are correct: Somewhere I posted this a few years ago... The design of our chassis/engine/dashboard dictates that the friggin' heater core is the highest point in the system. For my own car, I park it on the side street that has about a 15 to 20 degree upward angle to it and fill the radiator while the car is running. Then I let it sit for an hour before capping it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 1:14 am

Eldo wrote:

Aaron & Albert are correct: Somewhere I posted this a few years ago... The design of our chassis/engine/dashboard dictates that the friggin' heater core is the highest point in the system. For my own car, I park it on the side street that has about a 15 to 20 degree upward angle to it and fill the radiator while the car is running. Then I let it sit for an hour before capping it.

Yes you posted this some years ago and darned if I can find the post.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 1:40 am

albertj wrote:
Eldo wrote:

Yes you posted this some years ago and darned if I can find the post.

Albertj

Well, I feel MUCH better about my, uh, senility! Yeah, that's it!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 11:44 am

In my case I replaced the use of inclined surface with a few hard pulls from a stop. According the G meter I'm getting about .6 gravities in my seat, which should force the air bubbles to the front.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????   Rushing water sound from inside the interior????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rushing water sound from inside the interior?????
Page 1 of 1