Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Bazaar HVAC Issue

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ecotecjosh
Special

Name : Josh
Merit : 0

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi, I'm a noobie with a 96 supercharged riv.

I did some searching but didn't see anything quite like this.

So for the last few months I'll be driving under various conditions, highway, city etc and even with the climate control turned to off, the HVAC system will random start blowing. The system still shows as off on the display however for a surge the fan will start blowing and such. The button continues to show off.

Last night, the fan system continued to do this after turning the car off. I turned the ignition back on and off a few times and kept pressing off on the HVAC controller and came back the next day to find the battery in the car dead.

Any suggestions? Do you think it's the BCM or perhaps the Fan control unit?

Thanks,

Josh
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Blower Module almost 100%. They are pricey new, see if you can find one in a salvage yard. They fit a number of GM models.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:26 pm

ecotecjosh wrote:
Hi, I'm a noobie with a 96 supercharged riv.

I did some searching but didn't see anything quite like this.

So for the last few months I'll be driving under various conditions, highway, city etc and even with the climate control turned to off, the HVAC system will random start blowing. The system still shows as off on the display however for a surge the fan will start blowing and such. The button continues to show off.

Last night, the fan system continued to do this after turning the car off. I turned the ignition back on and off a few times and kept pressing off on the HVAC controller and came back the next day to find the battery in the car dead.

Any suggestions? Do you think it's the BCM or perhaps the Fan control unit?

Thanks,

Josh

...never seen this problem before.

You might want to pull the HVAC controller to see if it is partly disconnected, or misconnected.

You might want to locate a junkyard unit in case your troubleshooting indicates you need to replace yours.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Seems blower module to me too....man my suggestion is to give it to a pro to find out and fix it,it'll take him no more than 2 hours. You don't wanna suffer for weeks with this sucker...
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 9:16 am

yup..I"d say blower control module...it's up under the dash on passenger side...not TOO hard to fix. Mine did that too, would run with car off, had to pull back seat up and pull blower fuse.

Fixed it years ago, never broke since..
Back to top Go down
ecotecjosh
Special

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Update   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm a poor college student (BS Mechanical Engineering) so taking it somewhere is not an option! lol, neither is a $200 replacement part haha.

update: I charged the battery and it works fine. Drive the car around tonight extensively. Still had the fan issue when the climate control was turned off.

I took the glove box apart and inspected the body control module and such for loose or burnt wires, no dice.

Blower control module is this guy right? Pricey ticket for sure, luckily I live 2 miles from Spalding Auto Parts, one of the largest auto wreckers in the US and they said I can come take my pick lol.

Next step: Tomorrow I will remove the blower motor resistor and inspect it then get another one from the auto wrecker.

Thanks for your input guys!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 2:27 pm

wait....are you still having fan issues...you looked at blower control module you say?... I don't think you'd see any signs of damage, mine looked totally fine...
Back to top Go down
ecotecjosh
Special

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 7:29 pm

ok, hopefully final update.

I was able to find the same blower resistor in a 94 roadmaster and replaced mine. Everything works great, no issue. Hopefully the problem is solved. Thanks pull n save $5 lol. Better than the $214 the dealer wanted.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 10:30 pm

can u post a pic of that resistor?
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 10:51 am

I find it hard when I visit a salvage yard to NOT buy parts for the Riv that aren't even broken yet!

I have two HVAC control panels...one the lights don't work, the other is fine...but the auto and off lights are not working...close enough.

So next time I'm out, I'll buy a couple more! Or other parts too...I should buy another reisistor too...never know...or little interior parts & such...

It's always awesome seeing a Riv in the yard, and looking through it for parts!
Back to top Go down
ecotecjosh
Special

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Bazaar HVAC Issue 2033710

Here is the picture I stole from Oreily's ... same part just mine is dirtier lol.

Update, the HVAC system works great except it doesn't seem to display the current interior temperature anymore. (I think it did this before but can't remember) For $5 who cares right? lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bazaar HVAC Issue   Bazaar HVAC Issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Bazaar HVAC Issue
Page 1 of 1