Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mason
Rookie

Name : Mason
Merit : 0

95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket Empty
PostSubject: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 5:15 pm

My 95 riv has been having some problems. For the past few months it has been surging when in overdrive, it seems like it is trying to downshift but then it jumps back in to overdrive. Took it to the shop, they suggested it was vacuum leaking from the gasket under the supercharger. We bought a gasket and put that in, the old one definitely was leaking a bit. Replaced a few vacuum lines during the process. Took it out for a drive today and it wont shift into overdrive. Idle seems better than it was previously and it runs well, just no overdrive, and perhaps no 4th gear although i'm not sure. If anybody has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Mason wrote:
My 95 riv has been having some problems. For the past few months it has been surging when in overdrive, it seems like it is trying to downshift but then it jumps back in to overdrive. Took it to the shop, they suggested it was vacuum leaking from the gasket under the supercharger. We bought a gasket and put that in, the old one definitely was leaking a bit. Replaced a few vacuum lines during the process. Took it out for a drive today and it wont shift into overdrive. Idle seems better than it was previously and it runs well, just no overdrive, and perhaps no 4th gear although i'm not sure. If anybody has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

check if your front brakes are dragging - need to be on jackstands or on a lift in neutral to check. Also, it may be the brakes will only drag after several actuations.
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 11:21 am

Make sure you have the vacuum line connected to the modulator.
Back to top Go down
Mason
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 2:14 pm

I will check the brakes but I am doubtful. I started it up when it was 30 degrees out and the first chance it had to get into 4th it didn't. To my understanding the tranny goes into limp mode when it heats up too much, and it definitely didn't have a chance to heat up. I'm hoping it's electrical or vacuum, because i went from mostly working 4th to no 4th at all. I will check that the line goes to the modulator! Thanks
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Vacuum gauges are among the cheapest gauges you can buy. Better yet, install a vacuum/boost gauge. Fully warmed up, the engine should pull a solid 20" of vacuum at idle, in Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Mason
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 5:40 pm

https://i.imgur.com/XYTUK.jpg

It's got a strong vacuum just using my finger, maybe I should get a guage. I've noticed that the idle has gotten higher since we took the supercharger off and on, maybe this has something to do with it. It idles at around 1200, much higher than it was before we did the work
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Mason wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/XYTUK.jpg

It's got a strong vacuum just using my finger, maybe I should get a guage. I've noticed that the idle has gotten higher since we took the supercharger off and on, maybe this has something to do with it. It idles at around 1200, much higher than it was before we did the work

You have to get a gauge on it, unless you have a calibrated finger smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Smells like the TPS to me. my old SSEi did something similar.
Back to top Go down
Mason
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 1:28 am

Maybe important to note - before we did the upper intake redo we took it to the shop and they got these codes -

P0131 Oxygen Sensor Signal Is Too Low
P0171 Fuel Trim Sensor Signal Lean
P0321
P1361 Ignition Control (IC) Circuit Low Voltage
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 4:46 am

Mason wrote:
Maybe important to note - before we did the upper intake redo we took it to the shop and they got these codes -

P0131 Oxygen Sensor Signal Is Too Low
P0171 Fuel Trim Sensor Signal Lean
P0321
P1361 Ignition Control (IC) Circuit Low Voltage

first thing to do is clear the codes and see if they come back after 20 miles of driving, or so.
Back to top Go down
Mason
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 2:00 pm

found out the TPS was one of the issues! the arm of the TPS was on the wrong side of the throttle pin... rookie mistake. Now we are pretty much back where we started, it feels like it is misfiring in 3rd and 4th gear at low rpms, 1500ish on the highway. The shop said it may have to do with p0321 which is something to do with the crankshaft sensor
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:34 am

With a proper scan tool you can read the crank sensor output and calculate/reckon if it is sensible. Scan tool is tricky on a 95 they are basically OBD I with OBD II connector. I think there is an Actron scanner that will work, hopefully someone will post the model #.

Last edited by albertj on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 11:14 pm

I've never seen a crank sensor cause a misfire. They usually cause a total shutdown. I would start checking ICM or wiring, coils, or plugs and wires. A remote possibility is an injector. Most quality scan tools have the capability to read either system, you just have to find a serious tech that has spent the money on one. Hang in there, you'll get it figured out.
Back to top Go down
Mason
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 3:03 pm

I appreciate all of the help, took it to the shop again and he couldn't scan it, but he says based on the description it's probably the plug wires. We just replaced the plugs so it's probably not them. They are Delco, I'll have a look at them next, thanks!

EDIT EDIT- The wires have 20k miles on them.
Back to top Go down
Mason
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 2:22 am

Replaced the wires. This seemed to improve it but not fix it. Still dealing with misfires in the low revs especially when lugging along in overdrive and 3rd. Running some injector cleaner through it tomorrow and getting my codes checked. SES light is on occasionally
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:27 am

Suggest you consider getting your own code reader/scanner.

Suggest you read stored codes (did you clear them last time?)

Suggest you consider to remove coils and swap in known good ignition module.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket   95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket Empty

Back to top Go down

95 lost overdrive after vac work and supercharger gasket
Page 1 of 1