Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Brake Line Repair

Go down 
+21
whatever80
Eldo
robotennis61
moldymac
Sweepspear
Abaddon
manofmany
beninohio
BrianEsser
BMD
Ryan from Ohio
albertj
Jack the R
Rickw
turtleman
mike's97
steel2040
TType_Riviera
97rivman
AA
urbsnspices
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 5:36 pm

do your self a favor. ditch the bubble flares. you don't need them.although they are nice. buy several unions.along with the tits that come with, a couple feet of 3/16 line.if your lucky they come with the tits preinstalled.all you have to do is cut to length.or buy the shortest length do get the job done.and fab up your double inverted flare. easier.cheaper. just as effective. a tip though,when you place the 3/16 anvil atop the double flaring tool to measure line height in relation to the tool,place the line so that it is sitting ever so slightly below the anvil. perfect and smooth every time.if you see the anvil starting to tilt.STOP, cut anew the line and start over. otherwise you'll be shopping for more than 1 anvil.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Well I have brakes again. The do still need bled but for the first time they hold pressure.

I was able to use an adapter with a little "tit" so to speak that the inverted flare would mate with and a bubble flare on the other end. Replaced the line all the way from the caliper to the junction box.
Back to top Go down
whatever80
Special

Name : jaybee
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Replacement brake lines ..avail?   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 10:14 am

Hi, Looking to find pre-bent (factory type) brake pipe (lines) for a 95 SC.
gm dealer guy is going to look for me but isn't hopeful. Anyone know of a source?
I really don't want to have to bend/fit all of them..esp at the abs pump.

Sorry if this has been asked before..if so please point me that way. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 10:57 am

whatever80 wrote:
I really don't want to have to bend/fit all of them..esp at the abs pump.

It's really not that bad of a job and you would probably save some cash that way. You have to get the old line off anyways and there's no better template to use.

If you're deadset on not bending lines yourself you could take the original line to a shade tree mechanic and have him match it. He probably won't charge you to much to do it.
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 6:07 pm

My dad had stainless lines made for my 95 about 5 years ago. I dont think the price was at all unreasonable. Ill ask him the name of the place and see if he will chime in.

EDIT: this place is local so I would guess this is where mine are from.

LINK
$180 + Shipping for all new lines that will outlast the car sounds like a bargain to me!

Incase anyone has trouble with the link, it is Classic Tubing in Lancaster, NY.

Last edited by th3fr4nchi5e on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Dave is correct on the link he posted. His car was the template for these lines. We are very lucky to have Classic Tubing right in our back yard. They do a great job. Check out their website.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 3:36 pm

bigdave wrote:
Dave is correct on the link he posted. His car was the template for these lines. We are very lucky to have Classic Tubing right in our back yard. They do a great job. Check out their website.

I would **so** have bought those lines if they were available when I overhauled my brake system!!

...that said, it was not that hard to do, just kinda time consuming -- the car was on a lift.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Are the brake lines the same across all years?

Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 6:09 pm

98riv wrote:
Are the brake lines the same across all years?

AFAIK. And I suspect the other G-body GM cars' lines fit more or less as well.
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 8:35 pm

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:
My dad had stainless lines made for my 95 about 5 years ago. I dont think the price was at all unreasonable. Ill ask him the name of the place and see if he will chime in.

EDIT: this place is local so I would guess this is where mine are from.

=1995&product_type_1_Make=Buick&product_type_1_Model=Riviera&product_type_1_Category=&submit=Search&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53]LINK
$180 + Shipping for all new lines that will outlast the car sounds like a bargain to me!

Incase anyone has trouble with the link, it is Classic Tubing in Lancaster, NY.

Do you have any pictures of the brake lines? Any fitment issues? Looks like the price jumped up since you posted the link.

Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 10:57 pm

It still shows the '95 SS lines at $180/set. Not sure why so much more expensive for the '97-99's but there must be some differences in design. Unfortunately, have never taken any pictures but they fit just as OEM lines would.
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 8:07 pm

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:
It still shows the '95 SS lines at $180/set. Not sure why so much more expensive for the '97-99's but there must be some differences in design. Unfortunately, have never taken any pictures but they fit just as OEM lines would.

I can't believe there would be that much difference between the two for the price difference. Any ideas abaddon?

Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 10:22 am

98riv wrote:
I can't believe there would be that much difference between the two for the price difference.  Any ideas abaddon?

No clue. We don't get really '95 anything in the shop, let alone a Riv (of any year).
I can admit though, that you guys have caught my interest, and I feel like I need to find out. I'll see what I can dig up....
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 6:55 pm

This may be a long shot but does anyone know if the brake lines are the same on the car regardless if it has traction control or not? The kit on Classic Tube is only for cars without traction control. The picture of the lines look similar but wasn't sure if the routing was different, etc.

Link for kit without traction control.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cst-bu1068-oe/all

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 8:25 pm

I found some schematics and from what I can tell it appears the only difference are the lines that run from the master cylinder to the abs pump.  It is hard to tell without having them in front of me but they look the same.  Even the 95 looks the same depending on if it has traction control or not. Can anyone confirm?

No Traction Control:
Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 9801164G04-017

Traction Control:
Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 980626MG04-017

Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 2:11 am

You should be able to confirm by checking the part numbers off your schematics. I bet they differ.
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 6:52 am

albertj wrote:
You should be able to confirm by checking the part numbers off your schematics.  I bet they differ.

I couldn't find the part numbers of the brake lines unfortunately.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=381148&ukey_make=1022&ukey_model=14451&modelYear=1998&ukey_category=19393&ukey_driveLine=11461&ukey_trimLevel=25269

Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 8:02 am

98riv wrote:
albertj wrote:
You should be able to confirm by checking the part numbers off your schematics.  I bet they differ.

I couldn't find the part numbers of the brake lines unfortunately.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=381148&ukey_make=1022&ukey_model=14451&modelYear=1998&ukey_category=19393&ukey_driveLine=11461&ukey_trimLevel=25269

IIRC GMPartsDirect.com puts the part numbers out for you, at least on the invoice.

I may be able to get to a 'fiche with the numbers.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 5:41 pm

I called Classic Tube again today and was told they do offer a brake line kit for a 1997 - 1999 Riviera with traction control. I placed the order and will keep this thread updated.

Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 10:57 am

98riv wrote:
I called Classic Tube again today and was told they do offer a brake line kit for a 1997 - 1999 Riviera with traction control.  I placed the order and will keep this thread updated.

BUMP
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 6:00 pm

If anyone needs to order a brake line kit for a 1997 - 1999 Riviera with traction control you will need to order BU1070.  The steel lines cost $269.99 plus shipping and stainless steel was $299.99.  You will receive all of the hard lines including the lines from the master cylinder to the ABS module.  As of right now they don't have this part listed on their website so you will have to call.  Shipping ran around $30.

Check their facebook page as they had been running a promotion for free shipping or % off occasionally in the past.  I missed the free shipping as the initial person I talked to didn't mention they made a kit for traction control vehicles.

I installed all of the hard lines except for the ones that ran from the master cylinder to the ABS module as I didn't want to get air in the ABS pump.  Here are a few suggestions that may help if anyone wants to change their hard lines.

• Depending on the age of your rubber brake lines now would be a good time to change them.  Mine were original to the car and the front ones had cracks in the rubber near the connection to the hard lines.

• Spray all of the fittings with penetrating oil as many days as possible before you attempt to remove any fittings.  I still ended up cutting the lines in the rear near the fitting to remove them.

• Use good quality line nut wrenches.  It doesn't take much effort to strip the fittings if you aren't careful.

• Take as much care to keep the old lines in the same shape as they came off the car.  You will want to use the old lines as a template for the new lines.  When they ship the lines they will bend them in a spot to get them to fit in the box.  The two long lines were marked where they bent them but they didn't mark some of the smaller lines.  This makes it easier to line them back in their correct spot.  Even though they come pre bent to match the old lines, be prepared to take some time to tweak their location for rubbing, etc.

• I had to bleed the lines multiple times over several days to get all of the air out of the lines.  Since the whole system is open it seemed to be harder to get all of the air out.

• Use this write up to create a power bleeder.  https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2481-write-up-make-a-brake-bleeder#27061

• Watch this video on a helpful tip on how to prevent brake fluid from leaking out of the master cylinder while you have the lines out.  https://youtu.be/5hwJWSe2huc?t=146  Make sure you don't go all of the way to the floor on an old master cylinder as you could ruin the seals.  If this happened you will have to replace it.

• Even with the above tip it will be messy so be prepared to wipe up any spills as the brake fluid is caustic.

• I was able to reuse the brake proportioning valves but you may want to buy new ones if yours are pretty rusted.

• You will have to take the front wheel well liners out, the air dam and a few miscellaneous brackets to pull out and install the new lines.  Other than that it was somewhat easy to get to the lines.

• If you buy stainless steel lines it will be harder to get them to seal.  One thing you can do is to tighten and loosen the fitting several times.  You'll notice that you will be able to tighten the fitting more each time.

• Be careful with the plastic clips that hold the brake lines in place.  They are easy to break due to their older age.

• Give yourself plenty of time to do this job.

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Line Repair   Write-Up: Brake Line Repair - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Brake Line Repair
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next