Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Still Knocking!

Go down 
+4
96riv
bigdave
98riv
Colten225
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Colten225
Rookie
Colten225

Name : Colten
Merit : 0

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Today I just got one of the aeroforce interceptor scan guages mainly to scan for knock so I can put a smaller pully on.
After adding a 3" custom FWI, 180 degree thermostat, autolite 104's and just some magnaflow mufflers that I bolted on for now
I'm still seeing up too 6.5 KR. I was hoping I wouldnt have too find somebody too weld in a new 3" downpipe cause
god knows i cant doo that, and or installing 1:8 rockers because I dont exactly have $400 laying around. haha
Any other suggestions on how too lower those numbers?

Also can the guage scan boost or do I have too get a new sensor for it too be able too do that??
Thanks
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:43 pm

The only thing to do is to remove the pulley or stay out of the boost until you can get more supporting mods. Headers, downpipe, programmer, etc. What size pulley are you running?

Rookie
Colten225

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Stock 3.8 pulley, Ive seen most guys on here run 93 octane, I live in nebraska where the highest at most gas stations is 91 unless I go somewhere where they sell race fuel. But Ive always put 91 Octane in. Maybe next time I fill up ill pick up some octane booster and see if that lowers KR, but I don't think the fuel im using now would make it knock that much.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:51 pm

What octane fuel are you using?
Back to top Go down
Colten225
Rookie
Colten225

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:52 pm

91 octane
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Octane boost fuel additive will not do much. Must be some underlying problem. Is your sc coupler noisy or could something else be giving you false knock?
Back to top Go down
Colten225
Rookie
Colten225

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Im planning on changing the supercharger oil and while im at it might as well replace the coupler. Ive put about 30,000 miles on the car and have absolutely no idea if the previous owners even thought about changing the oil in the SC. No matter what, it hasn't been changed in a while. And at idle i can here a rattle coming from the intake but usually goes away once engine warms up. Possibly bad coupler?
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:08 pm

You shouldn't be getting that much knock on a stock pulley. What kind of maintenance have you done since you got the car? The coupler usually make a noise at idle regardless of the engine temp. Mine really made a knocking noise when I shut the car off. Take the supercharger belt off and grab the pulley and check to see if there is any play.

Rookie
Colten225

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Took the belt off. No play at all on the pulley. Ive changed the oil every 3000 miles but thats it. Lately though ive been losing alot of coolant now that i remember. Im going to have too find the culprit for that.
Back to top Go down
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Name : Dennis
Merit : 8

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Try some Torco octane boost, in my supercharged Mustang it allowed me to raise the boost significantly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arizonagn.com
Colten225
Rookie
Colten225

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:52 pm

I figured id give that a try too. Cant hurt anything!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Yeah, you definately have a problem with that much KR. A bad coupler won't cause that. When does the knock occur? What are your O2 readings at WOT. Other parameters? Do you have any scans for us to look at?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

What is the gap on your spark plugs? Wires good? Have you run any injector cleaner? Is your fuel filter not too old? MAF clean? O2 sensor good? Any exhaust leaks (at all?)?

Sounds like you really need to run through all of the basic stuff. Certainly don't drop pulley size until you figure this out. Something's up.

I like the big bottle of Techron injector cleaner - I run it every oil change. I also sent my injectors out for a professional cleaning/flowtesting. It may be worth doing. Read your plugs and make sure they are good. A miscolored plug may pinpoint a bad injector. If you discover something, try swapping injectors around and see if the problem follows the injector.

I may have a set of L67 injectors at home that I could send out to be cleaned/flowed and you could buy from me (for the cleaning/flowtesting price). All I ask is for your old injectors in return... or I (or a couple others) can tell you where to send your injectors.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Still tippin on 44s
Back to top Go down
Colten225
Rookie
Colten225

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 5:50 pm

The knock is actually mostly while i'm mildly accelerating inbetween 2k-3k. Is there anyway I can download and show you guys what I record of my Aeroforce? I dont have any scanning software nor do I know anyone who does around where I live. What are normal O2 readings at WOT.

I gapped the sparkplugs myself about a year ago when I put them in, I cant exactly remember too what I gapped them but I followed the drivers manual when I did it. Scanning guage shows no misfires on any cylinders. I was actually planning on replacing my fuel filter soon, hasnt been done in a couple years.

I havent even began looking at the the injectors, so ill have too pull all the plugs out and look for anything abnormal. How hard of a job is replacing them?

Also I dont know if the guage is broken but just during normal scanning its showing lots of KR, but when I record it and play it back, It reads 0 KR the whole time, even during WOT
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 9:02 am

Colten225 wrote:
Today I just got one of the aeroforce interceptor scan guages mainly to scan for knock so I can put a smaller pully on.
After adding a 3" custom FWI, 180 degree thermostat, autolite 104's and just some magnaflow mufflers that I bolted on for now
I'm still seeing up too 6.5 KR. I was hoping I wouldnt have too find somebody too weld in a new 3" downpipe cause
god knows i cant doo that, and or installing 1:8 rockers because I dont exactly have $400 laying around. haha
Any other suggestions on how too lower those numbers?

Also can the guage scan boost or do I have too get a new sensor for it too be able too do that??
Thanks

You are at the point where you need to reprogram the spark tables to get control of that knock.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 10:08 am

Mild acceleration between 2-3K RPM - while the torque converter is locked, like going up a mild hill?

I agree with Albert here - it's one of the tight spots with some of the heaviest loads. The only way to get rid of that is using a tuner to adjust the timing tables. And with a '96, you don't have many tuner options.

How much is "lots"? 5-6? If so, and it's only in that one scenario, don't fret over it too much. Damage comes from KR on WOT...

Although I don't like having KR anywhere, a little bit there isn't going to kill you.
Back to top Go down
Colten225
Rookie
Colten225

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 am

Well that's good too hear. Most KR I see at WOT is 1.5-2 which is still dangerous but not as concerning as the high numbers I see while normally driving. And yea its usually going up hill when my car is in 4th gear lugging down. I've started putting it in 3 too maybe see if it helps. But there is still high KR numbers. Just not as bad.

And yah that general area. Most I've seen while just "cruising" is 6.5 for a split second. But it usually lingers around 3.

And with tuning. I didn't even know I had any options. Do u know what they are for the 96
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 12:09 pm

If you can find a used DHP PowerTuner (or PowerTunr) - out of production - it will tune any pre-'02 3800 PCM, I believe. If the default DHP software won't do it, I think the TinyTuner software will.

Not sure if TinyTuner allows you to use an HP Tuners to edit a '96 file.

(P.S. I haven't tried any of this as I don't have a '96 available to play with. Confirm a few things before you go spending any money on a tuner!!!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Still Knocking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Knocking!   Still Knocking! Empty

Back to top Go down

Still Knocking!
Page 1 of 1