Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Well ,I finally got in my Jegs twin fan assembly with integral shroud #  555-52115 with 2600cfm.I'm coupling them to my Jegs alu radiator # 555-52009.  set up is pretty simple,nothing crazy in the way of fabrication or hassle.
First, after removing the rad,you have to bolt the AC condensor to the plastic skirt that runs from left to right. It normally bolts to the rad but since the Jegs rad has no provisions for it,you have to isolate it by bolting to skirt.

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1744_zps48ccd047

As you can see the condensor sits on top of the firm OEM neoprene strip.As the foto shows.

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1745_zpsefd8436b

When you bolt it down it wont move or rattle.  You bend the Condensor tab so it twists a little,this way it faces the skirt, like this.

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1746_zpsf5f10228

Now lay the fans against the rad,see what you got.The fans are a tad small in width so I just left it.Maybe in the future I'll close the gaps and mod the fan shroud and isolate a few more cfm's

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1748_zpsd154f01a

Even up the top and bottom of the fans in relation to the rad.I placed the fan shroud a little closer to the top so I could use machine screws.Very strong.

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1752_zpse99992a1

But before doing that I stuck some garden variety rubber door seal.I stuck it to the 4 corners to dampen vibration and to prevent marring of the alu rad

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1751_zps715106fe

Next I cut a few Steel strips to place at the bottom

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1753_zps5a4db55b

As you can see I pre drilled holes in the plastic shroud,bolted the strips to it and then bolted the other end of the steel strip to the rad using nylock nuts.Allways pre drill

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1754_zps0374de2b

As you can see,there is gobs of room for a performance rad.The little OEM rubber isolators just need a little trimming to accommodate and cup the bottom of the rad and moved a few inches closer together.I used a self tapper to screw the rubber pads down.Keep things nice and quiet.

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1745_zpsefd8436b

The OEM wires are stupid long for the mod.I trimmed them a little and spliced in the Jegs wire connectors

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1755_zpscba3b370

And here they are all nice and snuggly in their new home.No movement.I took a strip of 2 x 31" foam I had laying around and glued it to the top of the rad.It replaces the old OEM green foam that rotted away.It is totally firm and holds the rad in place but gives it plenty of breathing room without rattles.

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1756_zps6ccb622f

Rad plus fans do a great job of cooling things down

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install HPIM1757_zps6e812162

The fans measure 4" in width vs the OEM fan width of about 7"s. I now have alot more room to work with under the hood.

Happy trails!
R

ps   The OEM hoses will no longer work with this set up.You will need to invest in a couple of specialty hoses made by Gates, Vulcoflex hose.Part #s-25530-Is a 1 1/2  x  1 3/4   And   # 25302-1 1/4 x 1 1/2-   Both hoses can be purchased at O'Reillys or special ordered from Jegs.About $20 a pop! You will probably never have to buy another hose again.They're that good.

pss  The upper rad cover is hacked.no gentle way to put it.You do not have to do this.Just measure carefully and cut a nice square hole around the filler neck and yours will look much better. Haste makes waste.I will pretty it up tho in the very near future.

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:35 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Think you are the first to do away with the stock setup. Pioneer all the way!

Got a couple question tho. Is the foam you used high temp?
How loud are the fans?
Is the A/C any cooler? (If the fans flow more cfm then they might pull more air across the a/c condenser)

Lastly, isnt the radiator support a major structural support for our cars? ie it acts like a STB for the nose of the car. Did your cuts compromise its brace integrity? Can you flex that end by hand now?

I always wanted to get some new fans but couldnt find any that would drop in and perform better than stock. what is the flow of those?

Matthew

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks Matt
The foam is run of the mill upholstery foam.Works good.

Fans are pretty quiet.My Trans cooler with integral fan is ten time louder! That little fucker absolutely whines! allmost as loud as the uncorked S/C!
The fans run at 2600 CFM

Cant comment on the AC since mine is toast and awaiting a complete overhaul.I better hurry 'cause summer's coming and Vegas eats AC's for breakfast

The rad support is part of the nose STB thing but under the plastic skin is a steel convoluted plate,I had to cut into that to make room for the rad.I didnt think about it and just made the cut.Weird things happen when one fails to think.Anyway I have no problem with that.I am going to form out of 16gauge steel a patch piece or even a complete rad support outa steel.Should be very simple to do.All you ned are a couple of pieces of 1/2" steel tubing and then drape and form steel sheet over them.Follow the contours of the original support and should look pretty cool.But the integrity is only minimaly compromised because the actual steel support is still there.But really the least of my worries.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Looks gt take that ac shit off and dump mor weight good buddy!!224
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 pm

flyineagle96 wrote:
Looks gt take that ac shit off and dump mor weight good buddy!!224

I would love to eagleman, but you dont know what heat is until you've driven a few hours in the full blown insane brutality of a Las Vegas summer day! I dont think that even the Eagleman could handle it?!
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:53 pm

I lived in Miami fl,drove a dodge omni without ac 4 year sweatin drinkin and crazzy lol!! o ya i was 28 ..
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 11:07 pm

Ohh no no.....keep the AC....
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 11:28 pm

What about the trans lines that go into the stock radiator? I take it you just need to move completely to a dedicated trans cooler?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 12:44 am

matt270avian wrote:
What about the trans lines that go into the stock radiator? I take it you just need to move completely to a dedicated trans cooler?

I installed one of these

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/555/555-60345.jpg

I then plumbed it in like this

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install Car%20cat%20016_zpssudile78

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install Car%20cat%20017_zpsmkub6zxl

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install Car%20cat%20018_zpsvlndgrrw

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install Car%20cat%20019_zpsxgrufmjk

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install Car%20cat%20020_zps3qmo9v3s

works great.

Ya gotta get in there and mess around a bit but its all pretty easy once you tear things up a bit
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 6:02 pm

After looking for a bit, the Grand Prix radiator has the same size hose connections and the radiator itself is almost exactly the same size, the only difference is the angles of the fill neck and hose connections. Shouldn't this mean that the ZZP oversized rad should drop right in? The only downside is the ZZP rad is just as thick as ours, only all aluminum.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 10:54 pm

matt270avian wrote:
After looking for a bit, the Grand Prix radiator has the same size hose connections and the radiator itself is almost exactly the same size, the only difference is the angles of the fill neck and hose connections. Shouldn't this mean that the ZZP oversized rad should drop right in? The only downside is the ZZP rad is just as thick as ours, only all aluminum.

if the rad is a good price and you are prepared to reposition surrounding components to make room if need be then go for it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install   Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Jegs Radiator and Twin Fan Install
Page 1 of 1