Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil

Go down 
+37
joshuadalegrimes
96_Juggernaut
IFallsRon
charlieRobinson
manofmany
scrhodes4942
carlos
flyineagle96
Abaddon
GMFreak8
24198tom
fieromanie
DEMonte1997
Eldo
robotennis61
Rickw
L67
98inSFl
albertj
Ironclad-454
95RiviSC
Ash
98RiviSC
curious riv
AA
vendetta
deekster_caddy
1wickedninja
akasirro
ibmoses
Mr.Riviera
99Rivman
SpaceBar
¤DoughBoy¤
1998 Riv
Fuzzy
mayfair4life187
41 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
mayfair4life187
mayfair4life187

Name : Bill
Merit : 0

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 9:18 pm

Write Up: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/care-maintenance-f8/write-up-changing-supercharger-oil-t999.htm#10609

i need info on what kind of oil and when should i usually change it and where do i check it, please give me all the info. you guys have about the whole changing the supercharger oil process.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 9:26 pm

Just did mine. GM sells the oil,you can get it a dealership, Allen head screw/bolt at the base of snout is where you check it. I just bought a big hypo needle looking plunger and used that to remove it and re add it used almost 2 bottles. The old oil really smells bad.lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/124675
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 11:51 pm

Only use supercharger oil, no substitutes! If you don't know the last time it was changed, then now is the time to do it. Change it every 30-40k miles. Remove as much old oil as you possibly can. Some guys will drain and refill twice to aid in getting more of the old stuff out. A couple bottles of SC oil will only run you 10-15 bucks or so, depending on if you can get a discount at the dealer. Be careful with the removal step, you do NOT want that old crap all over the engine, or you, or the floor.
Back to top Go down
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

Name : D.J.

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Jun 09, 2007 7:40 pm

I need to change mines ASAP!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySun Jun 10, 2007 12:27 am

Do this with the engine COLD. On the supercharger snout, there is a plug facing toward the front of the car, angled up slightly, a few inches to the right of the SC pulley. I'd suggest putting a shop rag below this plug to catch any drips. Remove the plug, you should not have any oil seeping out just from plug removal. You can use a few different things to remove the old oil. An old syringe will work, a turkey baster... I picked up a cheap suction kit, with a short hose and bulb to get the oil out. Worked ok, but I may go the baster route next time.

You don't want to get the old oil on anything. It REALLY STINKS. Suck out as much as possible, put it in an empty pop bottle, put the cap on tightly.

Get 2 bottles of GM supercharger oil from your local GM dealer. They are 4 oz each, you'll need most or all of those 8 oz to refill. You should only refill to the bottom of the threads in the plug hole. If you do a good job of removing the old oil, you'll need to put all 8 oz in. Done filling, clean up the plug and reinstall. Torque to 89 in lbs, if you have a torque wrench. Otherwise, just tighten it down based on how hard it was to remove it. Don't overtighten it.
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySun Jun 10, 2007 7:01 am

This write-up is for changing the coupler but it has pictures of how to change the oil for anyone looking

http://www3.sympatico.ca/aepa/blowerinstall.html
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Dec 15, 2007 3:15 pm

1998 Riv wrote:

You don't want to get the old oil on anything. It REALLY STINKS. Suck out as much as possible, put it in an empty pop bottle, put the cap on tightly.
I finally got to experience this nice smell! Holy Shit! headshot
I had checked the oil in both of my other Rivs and because of the low mileage, I guess, it was clean and fresh. In my latest addition I wasn’t even going to check it, just change it. You are right about not getting it on anything, I threw away everything I used to wipe up the old oil with! I did make the mistake of leaving the container I put the old oil into open, the next day I walked into my garage and that smell hit me first thing! crazy
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Dec 15, 2007 3:29 pm

99Rivman wrote:
1998 Riv wrote:

I finally got to experience this nice smell! Holy Shit! headshot
I had checked the oil in both of my other Rivs and because of the low mileage, I guess, it was clean and fresh. In my latest addition I wasn’t even going to check it, just change it. You are right about not getting it on anything, I threw away everything I used to wipe up the old oil with! I did make the mistake of leaving the container I put the old oil into open, the next day I walked into my garage and that smell hit me first thing! crazy
I forgot to mention, I do still have a slight rattling noise that seems to be coming from the SC, I may try changing the oil one more time and see if that helps, if not I my be changing the coupler?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Dec 15, 2007 7:31 pm

i dont think changing the oil will help, you may just want to pick up a new coupler and change it out. do you feel any slack in the pulley with the belt off?

Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Dec 15, 2007 8:47 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
i dont think changing the oil will help, you may just want to pick up a new coupler and change it out. do you feel any slack in the pulley with the belt off?
I haven't gotten that far yet, I'll look into it the next time I have a chance.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Changed the supercharger oil...   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Feb 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks to youse guys it was no problem.

Carefully placed towels under the SC snout to catch any drippings.
I used a large syringe that I got from the Feed/Seed store, put a piece of rubber hose on the end of it.
Then I used a suction gun to get a little more out .
I only got six ounces out but I put two bottles(8 ounces) back in.

When I first removed the oil I thought it looked like new oil, it did look like new motor oil, a goldish brown color.
When I put the new oil in I realized it was clear when new...

Bert
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 11:50 pm

Gold/brown colored? That's not so bad. I changed mine shortly after buying the car, and the old stuff was totally black. Probably original...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 7:45 am

How do you guys get the old oil out?
Thxz J
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 10:14 am

Lots of methods have been mentioned on the board. Turkey baster, soap bottle pump, cheapie fluid extractor from parts store. Next time I do mine, I'll use a turkey baster with a short hose on the end to reach around in there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 11:49 am

Cool, I have a hand held vac. pump for bleeding breaks and fuel systems that should work.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 3:17 pm

Yep, that should work great. Be careful handling the old oil. It's a bit aromatic if it's the original stuff. And only refill it to the bottom threads in the plug hole.
Back to top Go down
akasirro
Special

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 6:05 pm

I have a 95 Riv Sc. Does anybody know what size hex head is need for the hex plug. I think i have come very close to stripping it.

Mines is a little different that what is in the intructions link - my hex plug in on the other side of the snout (near the windshield).

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 7:48 pm

can I use any supercharger oil or does it have to be from the dealer?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 7:11 am

I wouldn't use anything except the stuff from GM or Intense.
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

Name : Nick

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 10:38 am

ya questions about the m62....

is it the same process?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 10:59 am

same process, may require slightly different amount of SC oil. Just fill to the lowest thread. ZZP sells GM SC oil for about the lowest price anywhere. 2 bottles should be enough.[img]

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 5:02 pm

akasirro wrote:
I have a 95 Riv Sc. Does anybody know what size hex head is need for the hex plug. I think i have come very close to stripping it.

Mines is a little different that what is in the intructions link - my hex plug in on the other side of the snout (near the windshield).

Thanks guys.

That's correct, the M62 SC has the plug on the backside. Sorry, don't know the size needed.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 5:04 pm

Believe I got my SC oil (GM) from Rockauto, good price as well.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Changed my sc oil lastnite... That stuff smells like camel ass. Not that I know what camel ass smells like but it cant be worse than burnt sc oil. That old stuff was really dark. After i take care of a more pressing issue- the coupler will b next...
Back to top Go down
98RiviSC
98RiviSC

Name : Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 am

Anyone know how often to change supercharger oil ? Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062162
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next