Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil

Go down 
+37
joshuadalegrimes
96_Juggernaut
IFallsRon
charlieRobinson
manofmany
scrhodes4942
carlos
flyineagle96
Abaddon
GMFreak8
24198tom
fieromanie
DEMonte1997
Eldo
robotennis61
Rickw
L67
98inSFl
albertj
Ironclad-454
95RiviSC
Ash
98RiviSC
curious riv
AA
vendetta
deekster_caddy
1wickedninja
akasirro
ibmoses
Mr.Riviera
99Rivman
SpaceBar
¤DoughBoy¤
1998 Riv
Fuzzy
mayfair4life187
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Well, the fatty acids definitely explain the rotten cheddar smell... puke
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Dam that shit, sure does smell like "ass"!!!! lol Hey,maybe we should put a used bottle, in the DUMP THREAD, so people can smell it.... nono
Back to top Go down
carlos
Rookie

Name : carlosfuentes
Merit : 0

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:30 pm

I can put the motor oil in the supercharged is that I live in mexico but here in my city can not find the special oil?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Ay caramba! What year is your car?
Back to top Go down
carlos
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:03 pm

another type of oil that can carry the SC, is that where I live is impossible to find the special oil, I live in mexico?

HELPPPPPPPPPP
Back to top Go down
carlos
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:04 pm

MY CAR IS THE BUICK RIVIERA 96 SUPERCHARGED
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:24 pm

go to ,Rockauto.com
you can order from them
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 6:54 pm

summit racing also carries gm supercharger oil for like $9 a bottle. that is what most gm dealers will charge you after the loyalty discount.

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Carlos, do you have any General Motors dealers in your area?
In general, any GM dealer can order parts for any Buick, Olds, Chevy, etc...

The supercharger oil is part #12345982, and you need 2 bottles.
Back to top Go down
scrhodes4942
Special
scrhodes4942

Name : Scott

PostSubject: Supercharger oil change cost...   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:18 am

What can I expect to pay to have the oil changed on the Supercharger on my 98 Riv? I am taking it to a GM dealer. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:28 am

When I was at the dealer, we charged 1.0 labor ($90), and it's around $35-$40 for 2 bottles of oil. You're looking at about $130 total.

You're better off renting a vacuum pump from the parts store and doing it yourself. It's a simple job to do....
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:39 am

scrhodes4942 wrote:
What can I expect to pay to have the oil changed on the Supercharger on my 98 Riv? I am taking it to a GM dealer. Thanks

Do it yourself man! dont miss this opportunity to get close and personal with your Riv.I'm not supposed to tell you this but...when you get close and personal with a Riv,you join a secret society of druids.secrets of the universe will later be revealed to you....................
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:59 am

Robo, we've told you to stop huffing the bug spray dude.....razz
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:18 am

scrhodes4942 wrote:

sad

if you buy 2 bottles of SC oil, then go to a dollar store and get a "turkey baster" (just ask they'll know and they'll likely have 'em) you can change the oil yourself.

- park the car **level** (so you don't goof emptying or filling the SC)
- SC oil bung plug is at base of SC snout
- try taking the plug out with allen wrench (if it is not in too tight a Torx will work bUT risks stripping)
- if plug is "stuck" warm up the car then take it out (usually when warm it comes out easy, plug is steel SC is a light alloy)
- suck out SC oil and discard per local regulations (if no local regs, use crumpled newspaper in a trash bag to soak it all up. Warning, it really smells bad)
- pour in replacement SC oil, til the oil level is at bottom of the threads of the SC oil check/fill hole
- replace SC oil bung plug.

If it is any comfort to you if you have your oil changes at a GM dealer they are supposed to check and top off the SC oil. This is hit-or-miss. At my dealer I find it depends on which mechanic does the OC. So unless I am overdue for the OC I just do it myself and check the SC fluid then. If I am overdue and in the dealer for other reasons (I consult to a client near one dealer) I will have dealer do OC. And check SC fluid.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 10:03 am

A link with step-by-step pictures is on page 1 of this thread, if you need visual reference.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 6:02 pm

AA wrote:
A link with step-by-step pictures is on page 1 of this thread, if you need visual reference.

Just be sure you don't drink the stuff, or fry your chicken in it.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Robo, we've told you to stop huffing the bug spray dude.....razz

I hear ya buddy,its just that huffin the S/C oil got too expensive
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Abaddon wrote:
When I was at the dealer, we charged 1.0 labor ($90), and it's around $35-$40 for 2 bottles of oil. You're looking at about $130 total.

You're better off renting a vacuum pump from the parts store and doing it yourself. It's a simple job to do....

1 hour minimum I assume? That's a complete rip-off. Hell, that's what I paid to have my heater core changed out.
Back to top Go down
scrhodes4942
Special
scrhodes4942

PostSubject: SC Oil change...   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Took to local Buick dealer $60.00. Worth it to me. Thanks for your advice.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 8:22 am

manofmany wrote:
1 hour minimum I assume? That's a complete rip-off. Hell, that's what I paid to have my heater core changed out.

No minimum, just an hour + parts. That's what the labor time is to do that job according to GM's labor guide.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 10:39 am

Abaddon wrote:
manofmany wrote:

No minimum, just an hour + parts. That's what the labor time is to do that job according to GM's labor guide.

An hour is a bit rich, you think?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 10:45 am

Wasn't my call dude. They came in with a Repair Order....I just did the work. The Service Advisors wrote 'em up.
Doing that whole job, parts and labor, for $60 is cheap IMO. I'd be surprised if 2 bottles made it in to the S/C for that.....
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 11:32 am

Abaddon wrote:
Wasn't my call dude. They came in with a Repair Order....I just did the work. The Service Advisors wrote 'em up.
Doing that whole job, parts and labor, for $60 is cheap IMO. I'd be surprised if 2 bottles made it in to the S/C for that.....

It's hard to tell sitting here. On the one hand GM dealer cost on SC oil is not what a consumer or even a jobber sees. On the other had they could easily have cut corners on the job (topped off the oil). Given what they *could* do even $60 is a bit rich but not unrealistic given dealership overhead (high).

The dealership I go to, if I pay them for an oil change they check and top off the SC oil included. However they charge almost $50 for an oil change unless you're in the customer card program -- and then they slide the charge depending on your business volume. I don't know really what they charge to change just the SC oil. It might be one of those "pick a number" things. Or the service manager spins the bingo cage in his office and charges 3x the number of the ball that drops out?!? ! (JK) again, I dunno...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
scrhodes4942
Special
scrhodes4942

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Abaddon wrote:

Invoice states: "Two bottles of SC Oil and .5 hour labor"
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 8:07 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Do it yourself man! dont miss this opportunity to get close and personal with your Riv.I'm not supposed to tell you this but...when you get close and personal with a Riv,you join a secret society of druids.secrets of the universe will later be revealed to you....................

Pledging to do this before the New Year. usa
The hub and the MPS hub with a 3.6" too.
And real excited to get a whiff of this SC fragrance everyone raves about. razz

Can't wait to learn the secrets of the Universe. smoke
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next