Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil

Go down 
+37
joshuadalegrimes
96_Juggernaut
IFallsRon
charlieRobinson
manofmany
scrhodes4942
carlos
flyineagle96
Abaddon
GMFreak8
24198tom
fieromanie
DEMonte1997
Eldo
robotennis61
Rickw
L67
98inSFl
albertj
Ironclad-454
95RiviSC
Ash
98RiviSC
curious riv
AA
vendetta
deekster_caddy
1wickedninja
akasirro
ibmoses
Mr.Riviera
99Rivman
SpaceBar
¤DoughBoy¤
1998 Riv
Fuzzy
mayfair4life187
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 8:28 pm

there is a snout with MPS for sale on clubgp for $100. you should be able to snag a good one for less than that with a stock pulley. no re-build needed then.

Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

Name : Ed
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 8:34 pm

I just walked the local pick and pull today and found all the SC cars already robbed of the charger complete, there is another pick and pull nearby I will check but think I still have time to shop.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 8:46 pm

98inSFl wrote:
Rickw said "And to answer one of your previous questions, the SC does not need to be timed or indexed from the motor, crank or cam in any way. It is totally independent of the engine and produces boost constantly. Unless it is unloaded by the boost by-pass valve during certain operating parameter's, so does not need indexing at all. Just remove and reinstall."

I was referring to the gears between the rotors as I have never removed a snout...yet.

I have a 98 with 48,000 miles
There is no indexing required anywhere on the sc. Be it between gears and rotors or the unit to the engine.
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 9:02 pm

I do not want to replace the entire unit , just possibly the snout, the unmistakable sound of a bad bearing coupled with my attempt to suck out the silver flake colored goo lead me to believe the snout needs rebuild , thus my new quest to find a used junkyard snout in the next month or 2.

When the seal is bad does the fluid weep from the vent tip or behind the pulley?

And thanks,gotya on no timing for the rotor gears, slap it back on and go.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 9:08 pm

Are you saying that there ARE metal flakes in the goo you are removing? If so you definitely are looking at bearings, which would also explain the growl. Intense-racing.com and zzperformance.com sell snout rebuild kits with new bearings and coupler. Or you can get a used snout as mentioned before. You shouldn't have fluid leaking from behind the pulley unless the end seal is shot. The vent plug in the middle is where anything should come from.
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 9:18 pm

The thing barely rattles, has a little slop with the belt off not a bunch but sounds growley to my ear and yes there is silver content to the pile of goo I extracted.

I am going to stick with the attempt to reduce/thin/extract/replace the goo while checking the local junk yards for new arrivals. I have no desire to change pully ratio at this time so if a used snout turns up with no flake I will get the green coupler and be on my way.... I hope
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 9:23 pm

If you can find a good used snout for short money, that would be the way to go.
No need to change pulley sizes at all. Not now anyway,
Not until you've had a chance to do some more homework and purchase the supporting mod's anyway.
If you can't find a decent used snout soon, you can always rebuild your own, as you already know by now.

Look at www.darossillc.com for parts and kits as well.
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 am

Heres 2 vids, 1st is my yucky oil the other is a quick glimpse of my car and its noise, as a bonus you get a peek at my V8 powered mid engine 65 Corvair