Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!

Go down 
+9
Abaddon
ghpcnm
charlieRobinson
stan
th3fr4nchi5e
robotennis61
Sir Psycho Sexy
Birdawgxx
00Glazz
13 posters
AuthorMessage
00Glazz
Rookie
00Glazz

Name : 00Glazz
Merit : 0

Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Hello all,

New member here from OH. First buick ever as well.

Tomorrow I will be taking delivery of a 1995 Buick Riviera with a 3.8L SC engine and auto tranny.

It looks to be in immaculate shape inside and out, only 120k miles. I cant wait to check it out.

Now on to the bad news, the PO claims it was running and driving excellent, just a little bit of a high idle, until earlier today. He said his wife just came home from the store and when he went out to start it the steering column was loose, and it would crank but not start?? Anybody have any ideas on what could possibly be wrong here? I know its limited info, I am still agreeing to the trade we agreed on and taking the riviera from him since he is adding cash on top of the trade now since its not running. I will be able to go hands on and check it out more in the A.M. but just figured I would ask here ahead of time because I know I will be online later tomorrow with a million questions.

Also what all common issues with these cars should i look for?!

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Birdawgxx
Amateur

Name : Tenn Jeff
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Clay, I do know that there's a somewhat common problem with the steering wheel becoming loose, and then becoming a larger problem like not working at all, or something close to that effect.....

Rather than being a jerk, just let me tell you that this is an extremely helpful site to be a member of!!! The members that have been here a while are very experienced, like to share and help with problems, but I might suggest doing a search first as there's very little that has not been covered as far as common problems in great, and sometimes exhaustive detail. The search CAN be a little tricky, and kinda humbling, and then you ask a question, and there's 9 pages of threads discussing the exact problem that you're having (ask me how I know!) Take some time to learn about these incredible automobiles ,and all the nice wealth of information that's all ready for ya to take in right here on this site! Reading this site, and learning more about Riv's is my new hobby! Congrats on finding a nice example, and just wait, you'll be peeking in your garage just to admire it too buddy!

Clay, look in the Riv FAQ, and scroll down to interior, and then steering wheel slop. I throw the link in here, but computers are not my specialty. You'll find it, it's right there, and they delve right into talking about it. Sounds like an issue of a pin and a bracket.

Read the Riv FAQ, and the write.- ups section. There's HOURS of good learning in there!
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Welcome! Glad to hear youre looking into getting a Riviera! There are guys on here that will disagree with me, but 97-99 is the way to go if you want a Riv IMO
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Welcome! Glad to hear youre looking into getting a Riviera! There are guys on here that will disagree with me, but 97-99 is the way to go if you want a Riv IMO

sho da 95s some love yo! pimp tongue
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 pm

I think i just love the year 1997 for some reason... So far ive owned 3 '97 vehicles... scratch

Any Riv is a good Riv!!! jump
Back to top Go down
00Glazz
Rookie
00Glazz

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:58 pm

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and the pointers! I will definitely look into the steering slop issue via the search button! and FAQs.
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 1:35 am

Welcome! Im sure you'll get her back into shape in no time!
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 2:01 am

welcome Clay
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 8:33 am

I would pass on the 95 and get the youngest Riv you can find pimp
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 9:42 am

WELCOME !!! hi
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 10:12 am

Welcome to the site hi
We can definitely try to help you the best that we can, that's what we're here for.

Your steering column slop and the vehicle not starting are more than likely 2 different problems. The slop in the steering wheel is common, and a fairly easy fix IMO.
As for not starting. Is the Security light on or flashing? I mean, when you key on, after about 8 seconds or so the Security light should go off. If it stays on solid or flashes, chances are the car isn't going to start. It will crank, but it won't start.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 1:04 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
00Glazz
Rookie
00Glazz

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Ok so heres an update.

Cars steering column is definitely broken. it moves side to side and up and down all over. So that sucks.

Main issue is the car will crank but not turn over, after a second I hear what sounds like an air pump or something kick on and run. I hope that isnt my fuel pump because its pretty loud and doesnt sound like a normal fuel pump. It will continue to turn on and run even after I have turn the key to off and taken it out of the ignition and get out of the car. Any clues as to what this is?
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 pm

sounds like the compressor for the air ride. its located passenger side rear
Back to top Go down
00Glazz
Rookie
00Glazz

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyWed May 01, 2013 1:20 am

Thanks guys! Gunna try and get this thing fixed up tomorrow ASAP!
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:08 am

Welcome!

You can probably get an entire column from a salvage yard more easily than individual parts for the steering. I think the going rate is about $100. I'd call around and if a local yard doesn't have one, they can often check their x-ref database to see if another yard does. This is how I finally found my turn signal switch, and had it shipped from SC.

Keep in mind that the 1995 is a bit of an oddball year. There are many parts on a 1995 that are not interchangeable with 1996, and especially 1997 and above. I'm finding that out too (just bought my 95 about a month ago). I think the 1995 and 1996 steering column and harnesses are likely the same though, but a shop/yard can likely tell you that. If you can get a 95 column, that would be your best and likely less risky/frustrating bet though. I doubt there is any difference between the column for the SC and NA engine on the 95, but you may want to ask and verify which type of 95 it came from. Also make sure it is a column or console shift car, depending on which you have, as they are different.

I can't give you any hints on the no-start issue as I too am still shaking out bugs in mine and finding that many of the complex electrical systems have multiple dependencies. I wish they were simpler, but OTOH once I get to know it well, it probably will be less intimidating/confusing.

In my case the turn-over with no start was a bad fuel pump. I'd check first to see if you have fuel pressure on the injector rail. If not, it could be a relay/fuse or the pump itself is bad. Fortunately both are easy and relatively inexpensive fixes, even if the pump itself is shot. I think I paid about $250 for a new Delphi pump at Rockauto. It took about an hour to install, and I wasn't in a hurry.

Good luck!
Al

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:43 am

00Glazz: before you purchase a used steering column that will certainly fail (it seems they all do eventually), read the posted link on repairing the column. It was a bad design from GM, so unfortunately OEM parts will just put you back where you started. This will save you the trouble of pulling your "new" column in 50k miles after it becomes sloppy again.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! EmptyWed May 01, 2013 12:33 pm

AA wrote:
00Glazz: before you purchase a used steering column that will certainly fail (it seems they all do eventually), read the posted link on repairing the column. It was a bad design from GM, so unfortunately OEM parts will just put you back where you started. This will save you the trouble of pulling your "new" column in 50k miles after it becomes sloppy again.

Depending on where ou are, you. May find an independent mechanic willing to make that repair for under $300 - I mean if I were you I'd do it myself but I would check around. IIR the Riv column is much like oleum s in the Chevy/flight trucks, and if you shop around you'll find a truck mechanic who will fix that thing. the nice thing about the repair in the post is that it seems to be a once-and-done repair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!   Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from OH! First Buick, Questions!!
Page 1 of 1