Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

OEM radio swap

Go down 
+2
matt270avian
Rivnut
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rivnut
Rivnut

Name : Ed Raner
Merit : 6

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 3:26 pm

I found a '97 Riv at a local pic-n-pull today that is equipped with the AM/FM radio / cassette / single CD player (all in the head unit, not the remote CD.)  Is that radio in the '97 and direct plug and play for the AM/FM cassette in my '95?

While I have your attention I have one more question.  Can I fix the lid to my cup holder without doing an R&R on it?  The lid will not stay in the open position.  I know that you should be able to open it and it should stay open until you push to release it to close it.  Is this a common malady and can it be fixed / replaced without pulling the entire console?

Thanks,

Ed
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivowners.org
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 3:41 pm

The dash needs to be swapped out and the heater controls probably would as well. There's a metal bracket that holds the radio and controls, so you will probably need that as well. Then some wiring to make it all work since the harness on the radio (and maybe heater controls?) is different. The dash itself should fit without issue.

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/installation/88-gm-pwr-sp-mini-car-hr

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/installation/92-gm-32pin-maleconnhrn

That should solve most/all of your wiring issues. And for the cup holder you'll just have to pull it out and look at it. I'm not familiar with the mechanism.
Back to top Go down
Rivnut
Rivnut

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Matt,

If it's not a plug and play, I'll skip it. I mostly listen to my MP3 player through the cassette so having a CD player isn't that big of a deal.

Thanks, Ed

Anyone else have any ideas on the cup holder?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 4:53 pm

If the '95 is like a '98 or '99 (with the ash tray door and push-in ash tray), you should be able to remove the Upper Trim Plate (around the ash tray and tape holder), then remove the ash tray assembly (2 screws) and tape holder. This might give you enough room to look down there and see what's going on. Again, that's if that part of the dash is the same as a '98.

Aside from that, I think the console may have to come out.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:30 pm

You should go for it Ed, venture into the unknown for us. If you buy the harnesses I have no problem wiring them up for you so that everything should be plug and play.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 5:11 pm

As has been pointed out, the radios in the 96-99 Riviera are a different model, size and design than the radio head units (and slave CD players) used in the 95 Riviera.  

The 96-99 radios are the double DIN radios found in most of the Buick line from the mid-90s onward for the rest of the decade.  These radios usually, and in the case of the Riviera, have AM/FM/Cass/CD in one chassis.  This larger radio requires a different instrument panel than the 95 Rivieras, and of course it uses a different wiring harness and connectors.  To install a 96+ Riviera radio in a 95 would require replacing the instrument panel dash, some of the dashboard interior structure, and modifying the wiring accordingly.  I suppose it could be done, but it would take a lot of work.

The 95 radio came in two types that I am aware of, AM/FM/Cass and AM/FM/CD.  The AM/FM/Cass unit was usually (always?) in the console equipped cars, and if you wanted a CD player, you received that via the "slave" CD that was located under the console ashtray.  For non console cars (column shift), the AM/FM/CD head unit was available.

This 95 radio is the oddball sized 1.5 DIN unit that was used since the mid 1980s, and had several variants including a nice version with a 5 band EQ instead of just "treble" and "bass" adjustments.  I had pulled about 5 different versions of this radio from junk yards, from various other Buicks and they all fit and would function. But except for the two distinct models for the Riviera, there were oddball issues, such as the steering controls not working.

In the end, after working with a guy that refurbishes these GM 1.5 DIN units and adds an iPod jack, we x-referenced the two head units (AM/FM/Cass & AM/FM/CD) that work in the 1995 Riviera.

Those are:

AM/FM/Cassette (will control the slave single CD): 16200314

AM/FM/CD (may control the slave single CD, but not sure why one would want to): 16200324

Slave single CD: 16149084

This is also referenced in the following thread:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9962-best-option-to-add-cd-to-95-riviera-and-keep-things-stock

The fellow on eBay that refurbishes these does so for about $275-300 if I recall.  For the CD units he replaces the CD with a later Delco unit that is more reliable and adds an "iPod" jack to the front of the radio.  It isn't cheap, but he does a good job and guarantees his work.

If you are interested, I can try to look up his eBay ID for you.  Or you can just search eBay for something like "Buick Grand National CD radio" and his id is something like "87grandnational....".

Good luck!
Al
Back to top Go down
Rivnut
Rivnut

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks for the recent posts, guys.  I bought this car to resell and thought I might increase its desirability if I were to swap out a cassette for a C/D w/ cassette.  But I'm not going to that kind of trouble just to make it more desirable.  If it were a prospective buyer something "hacked" up like that would make is less desirable.  LOL.

I do really appreciate the encouragement from Matt and the facts from Al, but I'm not putting anything into this car that I can't get back out of if.

Thanks for understanding.

Ed

Still have questions about the cup holder lid. scratch 
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 pm

al_roethlisberger wrote:
This larger radio requires a different instrument panel than the 95 Rivieras, and of course it uses a different wiring harness and connectors.  To install a 96+ Riviera radio in a 95 would require replacing the instrument panel dash, some of the dashboard interior structure, and modifying the wiring accordingly.
The instrument panel and TC/trip buttons SHOULD (key word there) all be the same. The dash SHOULD fit right up as my upper dash came from a 95 and all of the tabs lined up so that is what I'm going off of here. As far as the interior structure you would just need the metal cage that holds everything in. I'm not trying to make a fight here, I'm just saying it would actually be a pretty easy swap. The hardest part would most likely be the AC controls because I'm not sure if the newer ones can plug into the old ones. If there's a 95 in a junkyard around here I'll go rip it apart and confirm.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 8:00 pm

The TC control button is on the lower bolster to the left of the steering wheel on the 95, and the rear defrost is where the TC button is on the 96+. It is a single connector on the rear of that switch combo, so some harness rewiring would be required. With that in mind, the connector(s?) on the climate control will certainly be different too since the defrost wiring at the minimum is in a different harness.

And yes, the interior dash structure is different, so that would have to be cut/modified or replaced from a donor.

All doable, but I bet it is a lot of work....
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral
High Chaparral

Name : Chris
Merit : 1

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Very pleased so far with my OEM head unit on my 99'. Was considering purchasing another OEM unit as a backup. Newer unit 2003, tested, and looks to be "less used" than mine. Might be able to get it for under $50 total cost. Not familiar with the "monsoon" system, and wanted to make sure it is compatible with current stock OEM unit I have. The stock number is #10325412. As always many thanks for the sage advice  help ................

OEM radio swap Radio10
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 11:55 pm

I just swapped my 99 OEM receiver with a 98 a receiver because the cassette deck on the 99 was toast and made crazy noises when you switched the source. It's temporary until my stereo system is ready for install.

call it a placebo or whatever, but i have little doubt that this 98 OEM receiver sounds much better than the 99. I could hear a clear difference. Feels/sounds like I got a stereo upgrade
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 2:27 am

High Chaparral wrote:
Very pleased so far with my OEM head unit on my 99'. Was considering purchasing another OEM unit as a backup. Newer unit 2003, tested, and looks to be "less used" than mine. Might be able to get it for under $50 total cost. Not familiar with the "monsoon" system, and wanted to make sure it is compatible with current stock OEM unit I have. The stock number is #10325412. As always many thanks for the sage advice  help ................

OEM radio swap Radio10

I dont think that head unit will work. The Riv is wired for Concert Sound II. The Monsoon is the next generation setup. It uses a separate Amplifier to power the speakers. I don't believe it has any output by itself.
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral
High Chaparral

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:57 am

Features Summary: Buick Monsoon CD Cassette Radio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Factory original Delco (OEM) Buick Monsoon CD/Cassette radio
Part of the Monsoon system, but the system is not required.
Theftlock is deactivated. (No expensive trips to the dealer.)
Compatible with steering wheel controls in Buick vehicles on the application list.
Standard Buick green-blue display color.
Equipped with the Auto-Tone feature.
Plays standard audio format CDs and CDRs.
Auto-reverse cassette mechanism.
Standard 32-pin GM plug. (See picture)
Tested at our facility.
Good condition.
90 day warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APPLICATION CHART
This radio was an original factory option in the Buick Regal. However, it works in ALL the following vehicles and provides the same power output as the non-Monsoon version. There are NO modifications required for vehicles on this list. Even if you don't have a CD radio today. Even if you don't have the Monsoon system today.
1995 Buick Lesabre **
1995 Buick Park Avenue **
1995 Buick Regal **
1995 Buick Riviera **
1995 Buick Roadmaster **
1995 Buick Skylark **
1996 Buick Lesabre
1996 Buick Park Avenue
1996 Buick Regal
1996 Buick Riviera
1996 Buick Roadmaster
1996 Buick Skylark
1997 Buick Century
1997 Buick Lesabre
1997 Buick Park Avenue
1997 Buick Regal
1997 Buick Riviera
1997 Buick Skylark
1998 Buick Century
1998 Buick Lesabre
1998 Buick Park Avenue
1998 Buick Regal
1998 Buick Riviera
1998 Buick Skylark
1999 Buick Century
1999 Buick Lesabre
1999 Buick Park Avenue
1999 Buick Regal
1999 Buick Riviera
2000 Buick Century
2000 Buick Park Avenue
2000 Buick Regal
2001 Buick Century
2001 Buick Park Avenue
2001 Buick Regal
2002 Buick Century
2002 Buick Park Avenue
2002 Buick Regal
2003 Buick Century
2003 Buick Park Avenue
2003 Buick Regal
2004 Buick Park Avenue
2005 Buick Park Avenue
**GM switched radio styles in 1994 and 1995 in their models. Consequently this will work in some 1994 and 1995 Buick and Oldsmobile models as well. If your current radio is approximately 4 3/8 inches tall and looks very similar to this one, this will work for you. If yours is more like 3 1/2 inches tall, this will NOT work for you. These are measurements for the entire face of the radio. Not just the part you see with the trim on.

This is commonly referred to as the blue-plug radio. Do not confuse it with the dock-and-lock (white plug) radios that were used in the 2000 and newer Lesabre. It looks identical from the front, but the electronics, the mounting and the plug are different.

Still not sure if it will work  shocked . Will make some phone calls tomorrow ..............
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 7:01 pm

FYI: Without the aforementioned dash and harness surgery (earlier in the thread), we can confirm that this double DIN Monsoon unit will not install into a 1995 Riviera as the statement above indicates with its footnote.
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral
High Chaparral

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Yepper, slowly learning  puzzled about what swaps will and won't work. Staying away from the monsoon systems. Thinking this one will work though ????
95-02 Buick Radio Cd Cassette Player Century Park Avenue Lesabre 25727524 B 2000

Just talked to seller. Donor car is 99 Park Avenue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

OEM radio swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM radio swap   OEM radio swap Empty

Back to top Go down

OEM radio swap
Page 1 of 1