Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Am I over maintaining?

Go down 
+2
robotennis61
abaucom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
abaucom
Enthusiast

Name : Al Baucom
Merit : 22

Am I over maintaining? Empty
PostSubject: Am I over maintaining?   Am I over maintaining? EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Question for all you gearheads a specific question regarding changing oil.  I am not as talented as most on this site, I know how to add fuel but little else.  Asking for advice because I might be over maintaining my seldom driven low milege 1998 Riviera.

Inherited my 1998 Riv. from aunt in 2005 @ 50,000 miles, South Carolina car bought new in Aug. 1997, always kept in perfect condition, my aunt liked "perfect".  I like "perfect".

Question: If the Riv. is in storage 5 months a year (stored winter) only driven 1,500 miles yearly during a 6 month summer period, should I continue to have oil changed before winter storage, and then oil changed after winter storage (twice yearly regardless of low mileage)?  Does the oil degrade like gasoline during storage?  Should I be changing oil once or twice a year, considering the Riv. is only drivien 500-1,500 miles per year but sits in winter storage 5 months per year?  If I only change oil once a year, should I change oil before or after auto winter storage?

Since 2005 to 2013 added 17,550 miles, mostly high speed miles from Canada to Florida, during 2005-2010.  Now the 1998 is seldom driven, just short drives in city traffic, only during warm weather months, garaged stored winters (underground and never freezes).  Yes, my Riviera has become a garage queen.   Regardless of annual mileage (500-1,500 miles per year) in the past I always have oil changed before going into storage and changed again after 5-month winter storage.  I worry about oil degrading on stored autos.  Know when the Riv. goes into storage to top off gas tank and add fuel stabilizer as gasoline will degrade while the auto sits unused for 5-months.

Temp dropped in Ottawa this weekend & just got me thinking only two more months before my Riv. goes  back into winter storage.  My mechanic/garage (excelllent, they service 40s-50s-60s autos as well as current exotics) suggested last spring when they inspected my Riv. when it came out of storage, replace ALL fluids.  My Rivera might be low mileage but fluids (other than oil changed twice yearly) are now 15 years old and fluids degrade

Oil changed last May at 67,549 miles. This coming Nov. before winter storage mileage will be 69,000 or less.  Should oil be changed before start of 5-month winter storage, after winter storage, OR changed before and after winter storage?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Am I over maintaining?   Am I over maintaining? EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 4:37 pm

From my point of view,coming from a motorcycle background,do change your oil after storage.
when we store a motorcycle we pull the plugs and pour a little amount of oil in the cylinders.this prevents moisture build up.we add Stabil to the fuel and run it thru until the fuel system is fully Stabil. About oil being stored and does it degrade? lots of opinions out there,the chief opinion is that the carbon acids that accumulate in the block can leach into the oil and brake down,thus wearing out the engine.I dont know for sure if modern oils are less subject to this but swapping out oil after storage is always a good idea.All fluids,especially in Canada where moisture is invasive. it's cheap insurance .
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Am I over maintaining?   Am I over maintaining? EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 4:52 pm

In my opinion, I dont think its possible to overmaintain by taking precautions, provided the time and money it costs isnt an issue. I put about 2-3000 miles on my Riv each year and change with full synthetic Mobil 1 every Spring (also not driven in snow). I think the quality of the fluid is most important. I like my oil to stay looking like it was just poured out of the bottle. I dont think oil degrades in just a few months of sitting. It certainly cant hurt to change oil before every storage, but I personally would not worry about the motor sitting as long as the oil is still pretty clean. I think you also said you keep your riv in a climate controlled storage, and that I think will do much more for a sitting car than changing from "newish" to "new" oil.
Back to top Go down
abaucom
Enthusiast

Name : Al Baucom
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Am I over maintaining?   Am I over maintaining? EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 8:20 pm

This info from others helpful. I am lucky I have a great group of car guy friends here in Ottawa that own some excellent 1950-60s restored autos as well as some high end current exoctics, all stored winter months. My garage mechanics also work on daily drivers as well some very high end classics. Just can not seem to get an agreement on how often my seldom driven Riv. needs an oil change.
Sould I change oil before it goes into 5-month winter storage late Nov., or just wait to resplace oil next late April? Or do what I have been doing and change oil before storage and change again when the car comes out of storage.
Fuel can degrade if auto not driven for 5-months, therefore I add fuel stablizer. Will oil degrade in auto parked / not drivien for 5-6 months?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Am I over maintaining?   Am I over maintaining? EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 8:51 pm

I would store it with the oil it already has in it.It seems fresh based on the miles you put in her. As soon as she is pulled from hibernation,start her up and take her for a nice drive,get her warm, then change the oil with fresh oil.It's safe insurance to add fuel stabilizer before storage.The Stabil can then be run thru the system normally like regular gas.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Am I over maintaining?   Am I over maintaining? EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:37 pm

I would change the oil right before winter storage, and I wouldnt change it again in spring. Freshly changed oil shouldn't go bad just from sitting 3-4 months in the engine. But think about it - storing with dirty oil that has contaminants might not be good for the engine.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Am I over maintaining?   Am I over maintaining? EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 1:52 pm

I'm with AA. I'll change the oil before storing it. I use castrol syntec 0W30 (it goes 40% off at Canadian Tire once a year and 35% off frequently) and leave it for the year until it's ready to go back into storage. Put some fuel stabilizer in there (it goes 70% off at CT regularly) before storing it.

However your buddy's right about the fluids. While you don't need to do it every year, if you are running the original fluids, definitely change the coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid and power steering fluid. Moisture will have built up in there. You don't need a trans "flush" just a pan drop and filter change. Canadian Tire used to have a deal called the royal flush once in a while where they did the coolant, brake fluid, trans fluid, PS fluid and the Motorvac injector cleaning for 35% off. The "full" price is location dependant. IIRC it's considerably cheaper in Gatineau because of the cost of the motorvac. You can usually just ask the service manager to get the deal even if it's not advertised. You'll need to ask them to drop the pan and change the filter since they do a flush if you don't ask.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Am I over maintaining?   Am I over maintaining? EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 8:55 pm

I prefer to change the oil before storage. Oil in light use tends to pick up 'stuff' and moisture. Oil in regular use will still pick up 'stuff' but be heated enough to get rid of any moisture. I think it's better to store on clean fluids, and then you are ready to go in the spring.

I prefer to have a drain plug in my transmission pans so I can do drain and fills more frequently. For the amount you say you drive it, I would do every other year. Also brake and PS fluids are due for a change/flush. When I say flush, I mean with clean fluids, not a chemical flush.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I over maintaining?   Am I over maintaining? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I over maintaining?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: