Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

A/C Compressor interchange

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rivillac
Enthusiast
Rivillac

Name : Kevin
Merit : 13

A/C Compressor interchange Empty
PostSubject: A/C Compressor interchange   A/C Compressor interchange EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Does anyone know if a series II compressor will work on a series I?  

I got the e-mail from the Charlotte Pull-A-Part that they had a 98 Riv in stock, so I made my way down to check to see if I could use anything off it.  The car was pretty much gutted, not much usable, but while I was there I happened to notice a 95 Park Ave with a nearly new a/c compressor on it.  I went back inside, and checked the interchange, and it listed as being interchangeable. So I gambled on it for $25, since i'm pretty sure mine is shot.

When I got it home, I started looking at it, and I'm not sure about the interchange.  The one I grabbed has 2 ears, mine has 3.  The clutch appears to be different, although I'm sure I could change the clutch if need be. (mine is still good, compressor is leaking)

I pulled both up on RockAuto, and looked closely at the pictures.  The only difference appears to be the ears and the clutch.  In fact, on the Four Seasons versions of the compressor, it is pretty clear that the third ear has been cut off.
The rest of the compressor looks identical.  

When I got to thinking about it, it was a n/a Park Ave, which would be a series 2.  I may not have made the purchase if I'd thought about it, but I've got it now.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: A/C Compressor interchange   A/C Compressor interchange EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm not positive about the clutch but if I remember correctly the third tab, the one facing the rear, does not have a bolt in it so if that is the one missing it should not be a problem? I put one on my '93 recently, a regular 3800, and there was a tab but no bolt in it?

HTH
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Rivillac
Enthusiast
Rivillac

Name : Kevin
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: A/C Compressor interchange   A/C Compressor interchange EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 7:57 pm

Just went and eyballed it again. You are absolutely correct. Only the top and bottom ears are bolted. However, the one I picked up today has the top and the rear ears, not the bottom. So only one of them lines up. I don't think I can make it work as is. I'll have to look at it a little more, maybe I can fab something up without too much sweat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A/C Compressor interchange   A/C Compressor interchange Empty

Back to top Go down

A/C Compressor interchange
Page 1 of 1