Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.

Go down 
+6
1998 Riv
al_roethlisberger
stan
charlieRobinson
th3fr4nchi5e
CafeCanuck
10 posters
AuthorMessage
CafeCanuck
Rookie
CafeCanuck

Name : Rich
Merit : 0

To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. Empty
PostSubject: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi. Thanks for this great website. I am a new member. I am considering purchasing a Riviera (last generation) to be used as a project car for long distance, summer road trips. The information on this site will really help me determine if a Riviera is the right car for me, and how to best "build" mine if I do buy one. So far, I'm really attracted to the Riviera as it is an extremely elegant and attractive design, with some seemingly wicked "sleeper" performance possibilities - rather the way I prefer my women . . .
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Welcome Rich! I dont think you could go wrong buying a Riv provided the price and condition are right! Plenty to read here to further satisfy your interest. And the answer is always "To Riv."
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 8:15 pm

To Riv, my dear friend. To Riv is thy answer thou seeks to comprehend.

Get a 98+ with no rust and low miles and have fun.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Welcome Rich
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Well, I too didn't know too much about this last generation Riviera before pulling mine out of a farmer's "back 40" earlier this year.  But I have been very pleased with the car, and other than replacing the fuel pump and master cylinder, basic maint such as tres, belts and fluids, servicing the brakes... the car has been completely reliable and a great daily driver for 10k miles.  And this is after the car sat for 2+ years.

It seems very well built and is great for my 112 mile commute every day.

My prior commuter was my 95 Roadmaster.  That is definitely more of a highway cruiser, and the Riviera is more of a GT (actual GT, not as in Mustang GT) highway car.  They both have a place, but I feel far more engaged and my back doesn't kill me after the trip in the Riviera than in the Roadmaster(base, no lumbar support).  I love the Roadmaster and still have it, but I never got out of the Roadmaster and had a desire to rack up "just a few more miles".   I do with the Riviera frequently.

There are lots of good deals on reasonable (less than 10-15k a year) mileage Rivieras out there, and a few show up every few months with far less.  The nature of the original demographic that bought these cars often means a large pool of lower mileage used examples.

I am in fact on the hunt for another low-mileage 98 or 99, hopefully under 50k miles, so I can give the 95 to my son as his first car smile

Al

Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 5:15 pm

GREAT road trip car, comfortable and reliable.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 5:28 pm

Welcome, Rich. We have a lot of fun with these cars, but be careful driving it in BC!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
CafeCanuck
Rookie
CafeCanuck

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks to all for the warm reception. I've started to search for a Riviera - but will be patient and choosey. As my wife has family in Miami, I'll extend my search that far. Florida seems like a good place to locate the mythical low-mileage, elderly-original-owner Unicorn.

"AA" the cops are the least of my worries here in BC; I'm much more concerned about getting totalled by the terrible/aggressive drivers hereabouts.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 7:41 pm

GO FLORIDA & GO RIV thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 7:50 pm

AA wrote:
Welcome, Rich. We have a lot of fun with these cars, but be careful driving it in BC!

AA,Klaatu Barada Nikto
Dont be scarin the natives n shit!
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 10:11 pm

There are 2 members in Comox with Rivieras for sale. Coincidentally, both are named Jason, and both have Emerald Green Pearl 98s.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9726-fs-modded-98-rivera-with-52k-miles
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t10305-98-rivera-165kms-for-sale-in-bc
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
CafeCanuck
Rookie
CafeCanuck

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks Jason. They're both good looking possibilities, and worth my consideration. However, so far in my VERY early investigations, I'm finding myself quite attracted to the pearl white on tan colour combo. My developing vision for a resto-retro-mod would probably work best with that combo as well. There's a mechanic selling a '98 somewhere around Hamilton that seems pretty nice. He's asking $8K for it. At this point, I'm not yet sure if that is excessive or not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.   To Riv, or not to Riv?  That is the question. Empty

Back to top Go down

To Riv, or not to Riv? That is the question.
Page 1 of 1