Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Car Cover

Go down 
+6
bigdave
deekster_caddy
abaucom
stan
robotennis61
urbanski_m
10 posters
AuthorMessage
urbanski_m
Amateur

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Looking for a car cover for the winter.  My Riviera has good paint but I am leaving it outdoors this winter in New England.  Won't be driving it much since the stuff they use on the roads here will rot out my rust free underside.  Wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced car cover or website?  A few months ago I ran across a post on here that had a website with some discontinued covers but I can't find the post now.  Don't want one from autozone or the like.  Thanks
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 8:08 pm

Cover it up with a couple of big fleece sheets and a heavy duty plastic tarp & Secure it with bungee cords.Dont get any cheaper than that. Place a jack stand at all 4 corners with a block of wood underneath each wheel to take up some of the suspension droop.Car covers are expensive! the El cheapos at vatozone wont last a heavy wind storm and will become a tattered mess in quick time.Jus speaking from experience .
Cotton sheets will leave an etch mark on the paint more often than not.Fleece is alot kinder to paint and is what the biggos use in their covers but they call it something else.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 10:19 pm

the good cover are not cheap,but you can always get 2 or 3 cheap ones from PepBoys..
Back to top Go down
abaucom
Enthusiast

Name : Al Baucom
Merit : 22

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 10:04 am

Storing outdoors w/car cover: Be sure car cover does not trap moisture. I have had some very bad experiences with Pep Boys. Suggest you do your web research on car covers. A quality car cover when storing outdoors should cost between $400/500. A cheap car cover can result in more issues than no car cover.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 2:48 pm

A good coat of wax is better than a cheap cover.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 3:09 pm

But what if you put 2 or 3 covers together for thicker protection just make sure the rope that runs under-neath the car is a bit loose so the wind can dry the moist.......no?
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Find out if anyone in your area does shrink wrapping. Maybe check with someone that services boats?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Merit : 143

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 3:48 pm

What I did to allow the built up moisture to escape is,I got a big old small block Chevy round air filter and plopped it on the center of the roof on some wax paper.I then draped the fleece covers and the plastic tarp over the entire car.I then cut a 4" hole in the portion of plastic tarp that covered the air filter.This created a Tepee effect that allowed the moisture to escape out the top keeping the car dry.
To prevent rain from getting into the cover,I took a thin lightweight sheet of roof flashing and fashioned it into a funnel.I sealed the riveted sections with waterproof caulking.I then cut off the tip of the cone and riveted a upside down tin cup so as to allow the moisture to escape.I placed this fabbed funnel directly over the top of the filter underneath the tarp.I drilled 2 holes at the bottom of the circumferenced tin funnel.Into the holes I hooked 2 bungee cords that I ran to the bottom of the car and hooked 'em up to the  belly.The bungee cords kept the tin tepee from flying off.I then hooked bungee cords to all the d-rings in the tarp and hooked the tarp securely to the belly of the car.Come spring the car was fine with just a little condensation built up in the wheel wells and no paint damage or mush smell in the cabin.Otherwise the $35 plus cover worked real good.

I placed a 5 lb bag of baking soda in the cabin for safe measure in case of condensation.In the spring the baking soda was dry and still good and not caked up at all.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:43 pm

stan wrote:
But what if you put 2 or 3 covers together for thicker protection just make sure the rope that runs under-neath the car is a bit loose so the wind can dry the moist.......no?
don't know what it's like where you are. Around here if you did that the wind blows sand and dust all over and up under a loose fitting cover, and sometimes the wind whips just so that it will flap everything around and make nice fine scratches all over the car.

Unless you have a "Good" cover with a nice close fit and elastics over the bumpers, and you can tie it underneath, might as well just put a good wax on it. Unless you know there is a window seal leaking or something.

Here the snow is likely to pile up, then it will either freeze in place making a nice protective shield, or eventually warm up and slide off your nice wax job. When it's cold enough to stay frozen, moisture isn't a big concern. When it thaws, better to let the air take the moisture away.
Back to top Go down
urbanski_m
Amateur

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Could I give it a good wax job, place a large fleece blanket over the top and use a car cover on top of that? I not only want to keep the elements off of it but also keep the sun from ruining that great (sarcasm) GM beige paint. I also need something I can take off easily on nice, dry days so that I can run it.
Thanks for the suggestions
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 2:46 pm

But listen, covering the car with 2-3 layers of cloth ( car covers) will make it a bit heavier and moist resistant,or at least much better than only one layer.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Maybe it'll work. My experience is with single covers - from "good" to as basic as a tarp. I never tried multiple layers like you describe.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 4:26 pm

My old neighbors would put a blanket on the paint, then a tarp over that. They still used their cars in the winter, so this was more to just pull the blanket off and have a car without snow and be able to drive away without spending hours cleaning it.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 4:27 pm

Or just buy an expensive cover to put as a first....and then pile 2 more cheap ones on top hahah....I may try this shi$&$&
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 5:48 pm

I covered my '95 for a few years, parked in a carport, but we don't get the weather here in NC that you would get up north. I have a CoverCraft cover, VERY high quality! It would get moist under it occasionally but I did remove the cover and drive it some too. My problem was the wheels, I had aftermarket chrome 12 spoke wheels and they didn't hold up to the weather well at all. The paint wasn't effected much, it was already in kind of a bad way since it had been acid rained on before I got it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 5:54 pm

hey mike where in ct are you? my car is parked in wallingford right now at the companies shop
Back to top Go down
urbanski_m
Amateur

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm in Wethersfield, its my fathers car and it normally sits in the garage but mom doesn't want to have to clean her car off everyday before work when the Riviera just sits and is only used once-twice a week. So the plan is for it to go outside under a cover and hers in the garage during the winter months.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Wow man....what is your mom driving? A Rolls Royce?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 2:34 pm

If you are going to use it once a week I wouldn't bother with a cover. Just wait until it is frozen in place... (the cover, I mean)
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Car Cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Cover   Car Cover EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Ohh no.......
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61