Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door? Empty
PostSubject: Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door?   Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door? EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 4:18 pm

For a long, long time (I've just gotten used to it), I've been hearing weird rubbing noises from under the dash whenever I turn the A/C or heat on. The noises almost sound like something rubbery is brushing up against something else over and over, almost randomly and only for a set period of time - then it suddenly stops. This sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't... it's not 100% replicable.

So, I'm thinking my blend door actuator may be sticking somehow but I really have no idea. The sound is *not* the "cricket chirping" sound that sometimes happens right when someone turns on air/heat; the rubbing noises will happen at any time while the air is on. Judging by the fact that I'll hear them almost randomly, it seems like the blend door actuator comes on to let more air into the cabin if it senses the cabin temperature does not match what I set the HVAC to. Does this sound right?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door?   Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door? EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 10:57 pm

I second this, I have the same issue.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door?   Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door? EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Bump - anybody have any hints / experience with this issue?

I'm going snooping under the dash tomorrow to see if I can pinpoint the problem. Good to know I'm not alone in this, Todd! poop 
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door?   Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door? EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 8:15 pm

ZEP wrote:
For a long, long time (I've just gotten used to it), I've been hearing weird rubbing noises from under the dash whenever I turn the A/C or heat on. The noises almost sound like something rubbery is brushing up against something else over and over, almost randomly and only for a set period of time - then it suddenly stops. This sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't... it's not 100% replicable.

So, I'm thinking my blend door actuator may be sticking somehow but I really have no idea. The sound is *not* the "cricket chirping" sound that sometimes happens right when someone turns on air/heat; the rubbing noises will happen at any time while the air is on. Judging by the fact that I'll hear them almost randomly, it seems like the blend door actuator comes on to let more air into the cabin if it senses the cabin temperature does not match what I set the HVAC to. Does this sound right?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
Check the big white gear in the actuators.  My car was making a similar noise and the drivers side temperature would be stuck on full cold at the same time.  It would do this for a week or two and then it would work again.  I would check the ones that control the temperature first and then check the others.  If it does turn out to be that, you can get a used one from Morad's for around $30. There are actuators on both sides of the vehicle. https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2500-write-up-hvac-assembly#27279

PostSubject: Re: Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door?   Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rubbing Sound from Dash - Blend Door?
Page 1 of 1