Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

missing at idle

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

Name : daryl
Merit : 2

missing at idle Empty
PostSubject: missing at idle   missing at idle EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 11:36 am

Noticed a couple of days ago that my buick has developed a miss at idle both in park and drive. Plugs and wires are about 5 months old. I havent changed the coil packs yet. Theres no check engine light. It doesnt hesitate under any throttle position. Do you think its my coils? IAC etc.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

missing at idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: missing at idle   missing at idle EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:01 pm

If it was a persistent miss, you would get a CEL. It would also tell you which cylinder was missing. If you scan the engine, you can look at the misfire history for all 6 cylinders. The PCM keeps track of the misfires with an actual counter. Each coil fires 2 cylinders pairs. Those pairs are called companion cylinders. On our engines, they are 1-4, 2-5, and 3-6. If the misfire history reveals misfires on a pair of companion cylinders, I'd suspect that particular coil, but not otherwise. Do some diagnostic testing before you replace parts unnecessarily. Just my .02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

missing at idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: missing at idle   missing at idle EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:05 pm

That sounds more like dirty fuel injectors to me. I was amazed at the difference in idle quality after I had mine bench cleaned. It would miss and sometimes 'spit' a little bit. Like there was raw gas dripping into a cylinder that wouldn't fire right, and sometimes it would pop in the exhaust pipe. After clean injectors - smooth as silk.

Try disconnecting one injector at a time and see if one of them makes the idle smooth out.
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

missing at idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: missing at idle   missing at idle EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Yup no check engine light. Its definitely an erratic idle. WOuld a vacuum leay2k cause this? If so, what would i use to detect it. Cleaningthe injectors is a good idea
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

missing at idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: missing at idle   missing at idle EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:20 pm

And yes the tach needle does go up and down, id say no more than two tick marks. Whats the worst that can happen?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

missing at idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: missing at idle   missing at idle EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Just put a vacuum gauge on it. I have a vacuum/boost gauge on mine. It pulls a steady 20" of vacuum at idle, in Park, fully warmed up. Anything less than that, you have a vacuum leak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

missing at idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: missing at idle   missing at idle EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Wait a minute. My aeroforce gauge reads boost. But at idle i think it reads vacuum in the negative. Itll will jump from -19 to -17.9
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

missing at idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: missing at idle   missing at idle Empty

Back to top Go down

missing at idle
Page 1 of 1