Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Spit and sputters randomly

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson
Merit : 1

Spit and sputters randomly Empty
PostSubject: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 11:23 am

Ok I think I've read of a guy having this problem somewhere but I can't find it. When I start my car in the morning, it's fine, when I go for a drive, park and go inside, go back outside and start my car again, it will crank longer then usually and will spit and sputter till I hit the gas, what's happening?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 8:35 am

Sounds like you have leaky injectors. They leak down after you shut the car off, and all that extra fuel drips into the intake runner. If it's cold, it wants the extra fuel and you don't really notice. If it's hot, you are almost flooding the cylinders.

That's one theory. The other off the top of my head is that your lower intake gaskets are leaking and there is antifreeze doing the same thing. Do you ever have to add coolant?
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 11:24 am

No, I just did my lower intake gaskets, my coolent elbow is leaking so I add coolent to the coolent resovoir but that's it. It sounds thirsty if I don't give it gas when I start it, this has never happened before, it used to start really fast and unexpected.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 11:34 am

I can't remember, was it you that was having issues with the IAT sensor last week? That would be a big factor.
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 3:11 pm

Yup that was me, I think u might be right on the injectors but idk, cause if I start it back up within a couple minutes the car starts right up! But if I leave it more then ten minutes, it sounds flooded and spits and sputters for awhile, and will eventually clear out, also idles rough when it's spitting
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 3:12 pm

I put everything back on with the air filter, everything is back to stock, but I gutted the air box that's it
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 7:54 pm

If you get a fuel pressure gauge, attach it to the fuel rail and watch the pressure. It should be between 40 and 50 while it's idling, then when you shut the car off it should remain pressurized. If it drops to 0, something is leaking. It's possible to leak out the injectors, but also possible to leak backwards through the fuel pump, so just because it drops doesn't necessarily mean the injectors leak. (although we already suspect an injector is leaking). It should hold pressure for quite a while if there are no leaks.
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 8:19 pm

ok I will get a pressure gauge.
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Update, while idling the car, there is a loud clicking noise coming from the injected lines, the fuel lines run smooth but the two lines to the passenger side of the engine those injecter lines run rough, I can make a video if u guys need me to
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 11:42 pm

And my car idles a rough in drive, and a little better in park
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 5:47 pm

heres a video of what the car does after leaving it for awhile. car is cold to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5KwF12gBo
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 10:49 pm

hey guys could my fuel filter cause something like this?
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

Name : Marc
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 4:36 pm

I can see this is old but one might consider the icm, or even a small exhaust leak before the uptream o2 sensor (air/fuel) I have similar problems with mine and nailed it down to two different problems cause one big symptom.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spit and sputters randomly   Spit and sputters randomly Empty

Back to top Go down

Spit and sputters randomly
Page 1 of 1