Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

need help no interior lights

Go down 
+3
Abaddon
ironclyde
bmcd9179
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson
Merit : 1

need help no interior lights Empty
PostSubject: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 9:46 pm

so i have a boost gauge, it has 2 wires, one is a ground, one connects to anything you want, I connected it to the fuze box to my interior lights whenever I turn them on the gauge will light up, well the ground wire and the electrical wire connected and shorted out my lights on accident, ive replaced the fuze and nothing has worked, I don't have blinkers working, and my interior lights are not working, the lights that show the speedo and ect. the lights that do work are the clock, radio, and the reading lights. I need help
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 pm

fuzes are not blown to im stuck
Back to top Go down
ironclyde
Enthusiast
ironclyde

Name : Cody

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 am

You may have blown the bulbs.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 12:24 pm

You need to check the INTR LP (10A) fuse in the RH Rear fuse block (under the rear seat).

You also need to check the IGN 1 (10A) fuse, and the INTR LPS (10A) fuse in the IP fuse block.

All 3 of those fuses are in the lighting circuit.

Other than those fuses, the Body Control Module controls the interior lighting.....
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:07 pm

FWIW I think the map lights are on a shared circuit with the door lights. Ever since I replaced every light with LED's, when I turn on one of the map lights the door lights will flicker once.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:34 pm

matt270avian wrote:
FWIW I think the map lights are on a shared circuit with the door lights. Ever since I replaced every light with LED's, when I turn on one of the map lights the door lights will flicker once.

What you have done is lessened the resistance in the entire circuit. The fuses power the BCM, and the BCM completes the circuit via ground drivers to turn lights on and off. The BCM is probably confused....
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 8:09 pm

What is a BCM? how do I fix that? im going to go check all those fuses you mention, also I reset the battery. Also would unplugging the battery and resetting the ECU reset this?
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 8:33 pm

ironclyde wrote:
You may have blown the bulbs.

see idk cause my yellow blinker lights work and stuff but on the actual driving lights on the side of the headlights are not blinking anymore when I turn my signals on. also sometimes my hazards button freaks out
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 8:44 pm

ok guys one more post, my lights are off but the door dings at me when there off anyway, also when I lock my car with the keyless entre remote, it only lights up the headlights, it used to light the brake lights and stuff and when I locked it it doesn't do that now. and I checked all my fuses and all are perfect
Back to top Go down
ironclyde
Enthusiast
ironclyde

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 9:09 pm

I'm voting for the BCM. You may have inadvertently shorted the PROM and burned a circuit. Did you try restoring your setup back to original?
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:25 pm

yes everything is back to original, I even unplugged the battery for an hour
Back to top Go down
ironclyde
Enthusiast
ironclyde

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:52 pm

If you followed all the other steps, you might start looking for a junkyard BCM. I don't know if it has to be flashed to match your VIN or not. I'll trade you for a spun rod bearing... mad 
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:10 am

It's definitely possible you fried the BCM. Like I said above, the fuses only power the BCM, which in turn grounds the circuit when certain lights are requested. Modules don't like backfeed  nono 

Let me do some more research on the schematics of it all before you go buying parts......I want to see if there's another common denominator besides the module.
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:58 pm

ironclyde wrote:
If you followed all the other steps, you might start looking for a junkyard BCM. I don't know if it has to be flashed to match your VIN or not. I'll trade you for a spun rod bearing... mad 

ok now that sucks... haha ill start testing some more things, my mechanic buddy who is good with this kind of stuff is going to help me out this Monday!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 9:58 pm

bmcd9179 wrote:

see idk cause my yellow blinker lights work and stuff but on the actual driving lights on the side of the headlights are not blinking anymore when I turn my signals on. also sometimes my hazards button freaks out

edit - nm forgot this all started with a blown fuse.

Could it have blown another fuse at the same time? What about the larger ones under the back seat?

Check and doublecheck ALL the fuses!

Do you have a test light? Is there power to the fuse that blew in the first place?
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:59 pm

i don't have a test light, I but my buddy mark does, he is the one helping me with my car on Monday, Ill let you guys know how it goes, and yes I checked all my fuzes, none are blown, I didn't double check them tho... but isn't that what fuzes are for....so I don't short something out, like come on:(
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 8:16 am

bmcd9179 wrote:
i don't have a test light, I but my buddy mark does, he is the one helping me with my car on Monday, Ill let you guys know how it goes, and yes I checked all my fuzes, none are blown, I didn't double check them tho... but isn't that what fuzes are for....so I don't short something out, like come on:(

Can you tell me what color wire you tapped in to, and where it was so I have a better idea of where to look on the schematic?

As for the fuses....I've already said that the Interior light fuses power the module, and the module supplies the bulbs. Most cars today are like that. No more straight switches. Everything goes through a module.
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 10:32 am

So, my boost guage has 4 wires, 2 wires combine together for the light show, the other two wires(one is a ground, other dimes the light show) I left the dimmed one unplugged, and I grounded the other one, bam boost guage, so I drove my car home after I installed it(friend didn't have electrical tape) well the ground and the two wires connected bc the wires were open when I split them, the light show wires were pluged into the fuze box( I pulled out a fuze, stuck the wire in, then put the fuze in with it) I'm not at home right now but if u open the box it's the top right fuze I tapped into.( driver side door)
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 2:58 pm

So you ghetto rigged a wire into the Left Hand Exterior lamps fuse, and stripped the insulation off of a different unknown wire, and wrapped a stripped wire from the gauge around it.....

I need to know what color the wire was that you stripped, and a location of where you got the wire. You probably shorted something out by letting too much current through a different circuit by doing what you did.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 7:50 pm

You probably shorted something out by letting too much current through a different circuit by doing what you did.[/quote] Or an uninsulated hot (12v) wire came in contact with ground.
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Alright guys, I blew my lamp control module... Where can I find this? No junkyards near me have a riviera, and I can't find it on rock auto
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Maybe this will help? Repair yours? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykJaW2DycCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Actually my friend was messing with me, it was a fuze under the rear seat,I must have missed it, it was dark when I checked them with a flash light, so I owe my buddy chick fila bc I'm such an idiot haha, thanks for the help guys sorry about being so dumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need help no interior lights   need help no interior lights Empty

Back to top Go down

need help no interior lights
Page 1 of 1