Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Oil leak from Timing chain cover?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Steelrain
Amateur

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

Oil leak from Timing chain cover? Empty
PostSubject: Oil leak from Timing chain cover?   Oil leak from Timing chain cover? EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 7:16 pm

I just got done replacing the oil pan gasket and putting in new oil/filter. I was about 90% sure that is where my leak was coming from. But, after replacing all of that I fired up the Riv and I am still getting the leak. It seems to be coming from the seam where the crankshaft pulley and timing chain cover meet. Is there any reason for this? Also, I do have a bit of play in CYL #3 if that has anything to do with it.
Back to top Go down
intosilence1
Rookie

Name : RivNewEra
Merit : 1

Oil leak from Timing chain cover? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil leak from Timing chain cover?   Oil leak from Timing chain cover? EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 7:45 pm

Hello. I know it's 7 years later, but I had the same leak and I finally fixed it. I had a leak that seemed to be coming from the crankshaft itself. It would drip onto the pulley, and as it spun, it would spray it everywhere. I had to refill a quart of oil once a month. Replaced the timing cover gasket and seal, lower intake manifold gasket, valve cover gaskets, and the oil pressure switch, all to no avail. Recently, I came across this video on YouTube,
https://youtu.be/c1iiGkj1c8w
that talks about the drain hole located on the cavity for the timing cover seal.

Apparently, it's too small to allow the oil to drain back into the oil pan fast enough before some spills out through the crankshaft. They basically said to drill that hole bigger, so I used an 11/64 drill bit. You shouldn't go any bigger than that. In the video, they left the timing cover on the car, but I took it off because I didn't want to risk any metal shavings falling into the oil pan.
Also while I had the timing cover off, I replaced the timing cover seal with the OEM part GM 12582313. When I replaced it the first time, I used the Felpro seal, which is quite different from the OEM. I'm not 100% sure which of the two made the biggest difference, or if they both did, but for sure it fixed my oil leak.

StellaRae95 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Oil leak from Timing chain cover?
Page 1 of 1