Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? Empty
PostSubject: Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?   Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Unless I missed it, there doesn't seem to be a unified FAQ on refreshing the rear suspension as there is an equivalent for the front suspension, such as the front control arm thread.

I understand the rear suspension is simpler, seems to generally be more robust and needs less attention.  But as I am about to replace the rear shocks (20yrs old, leaking) and likely install a new rear swaybar (since I already have an Addco for the front sitting in a box), I thought I'd ask what else is recommended for the rear suspension while I'm in there.

As mentioned, I plan to replace:

- Rear air-shocks with Monroe MA822

- Rear shock upper mounts

- Rear sway bar and associated end-links

What else:

- Control arm bushings?  The bushings are available, but are they really user servicable, or actually impossible to install (like the aluminum front control arm bushings)?  Is it even necessary in the rear?

- Outer tie rod end?  Appears discontinued.

- Anything else?

Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? Ad952610

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?   Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Quote :
- Rear air-shocks with Monroe MA822

- Rear shock upper mounts

- Rear sway bar and associated end-links

I would just do these. Easier, and less cost. I still have my original tie rods and control arm bushings, even bearings. Back end is light, things tend to last longer.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?   Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 8:32 pm

You can and should inspect the tie rod and control arm bushings for play. However, there probably won't be much. Those bushings are 'break/fix' kinds of things. Not something to bother with preventively. Only if you have a problem.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?   Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 9:22 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
You can and should inspect the tie rod and control arm bushings for play. However, there probably won't be much. Those bushings are 'break/fix' kinds of things. Not something to bother with preventively. Only if you have a problem.

Are the bushings even easily replaceable once the arm is removed?

I ask because the bushings in the front control arms are apparently either completely unserviceable or very difficult to press in.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?   Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 9:32 pm

al_roethlisberger wrote:
Are the bushings even easily replaceable once the arm is removed?

I ask because the bushings in the front control arms are apparently either completely unserviceable or very difficult to press in.

You can probably do it but it would probably require removing the whole control arm and pressing them out with a hydraulic press. Not something worth doing unless they are completely shot.

What rear bar are you going to use? Addco, FE3, or F41?
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?   Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 9:59 pm

I'll be putting in an Addco as I just bought a secondhand Addco front on the forum here.

Al
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?   Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 3:01 pm

Not exactly serviceable, I'm not sure if they are available or not. I don't know of any such bushings that are "easy" to install. But you should certainly become aware if something back there has a lot of play before you go trying to stiffen up the rear suspension. You can decide not to do anything about it, but at least you'll know.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?   Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 3:50 pm

Check the joints on the adjustment arms. The boots on mine are cracked and leaking grease, which normally indicates need of replacement, but I caught them before they dried out. Still nice and tight. I hit them with a grease gun a couple times a year to keep them lubed up.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?   Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear suspension "refresh" - what to replace?
Page 1 of 1