Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)

Go down 
+74
Yardley
joshuadalegrimes
matt270avian
Randy T.
al_roethlisberger
artlock
llamalor2112
Mattwa
drdivo
nothincame2mind
Riviera Randy
ZEP
rk0ehn
gmann3001
charlieRobinson
RivieraParadise
flyingjunebugs
bigdave
RidzRiv
BlownRiv
crlombardi69
Derek
J. Chris Davis
VJD2
Abaddon
98inSFl
duckstu
97 park ave
DEMonte1997
LARRY70GS
L67
nigelf
Ash
eagleblanks13
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
EASHER
Rickw
96RIVMANN
SuperRiv07
Steve98
Chicken
dreww
98riv
98RIV7777
rascal5478
ibmoses
albertj
robotennis61
Kustom Kreationz
robertwolf86
rivparadise
Joey98riv
BillBoost37
oldsman105
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
ender467
Buapo
Jack the R
54_nailhead
jimmyriv
SpaceBar
turtleman
racinfan
T Riley
99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
1998 Riv
AA
jax95riv
Jason
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 7:35 pm

I ordered it again a few days ago and haven't gotten the "this part is longer available" response yet so maybe one will reach me this time.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Abaddon wrote:

Will do. When I get the spacers made, I'll take pics. I need to go to Metrics Unlimited (they have every type of fastener on the planet) and get 4 new bolts. They can give me the exact thread size and pitch. There is nothin wrong with the ones I used, but 3 have a 13mm head and 1 has a 15mm head. I'd rather have them all matching....

I'm amazed at the difference it makes too. The Stabilizer/STB combo is light years more stable than the factory setup. I felt the difference (after installing the STB) as soon as I left the parking lot. The car feels sportier, and MUCH more stable side-to-side. I didn't realize how much chassis flex there was between the upper strut mounts until now. The steering wheel gets back to center faster after turns, and actually feels "tighter". The only downside I noticed is that the car is more prone to road crown now. Other than that, I LOVE IT yay

Sweet! That is some good news. From driving one of my other cars to the Riv, it feels very unstable. Especially on the highway so I'm hoping this with some other upgrades will help. Great riding car except for that. Glad it made a difference for you!
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 am

Alright... Just heard back from Patrick at monsterparts. They can get a STB but since it was discontinued he's asking $8 more. No biggie. Hopefully I'll get it end of the week. Will post up pics. *keeps fingers crossed that it fits*
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:33 am

That's exactly what he told me...........
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 12:21 pm

I'll be searching the junkyards for one of these. There is a local place that has an abundance of caddy's for some reason. I can't remember if they were STS or the other. Hopefully the right one.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:05 pm

Vinny-Just make sure the years correspond to what Aaron posted above. I think it was 98+. Anything older than that and the bar will look much bulkier and not be long enough. frown
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Yep. Check the driver door sticker to confirm the year (at the junkyard). It MUST be '98+.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 4:22 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
Alright... Just heard back from Patrick at monsterparts. They can get a STB but since it was discontinued he's asking $8 more. No biggie. Hopefully I'll get it end of the week. Will post up pics. *keeps fingers crossed that it fits*

It should fit fine, though a bit of tweaking could be required. You'll love the improved handling.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 4:31 pm

I can tell you this... The distance between the strut tower and the brace to clear the Master Cylinder is .575".
This is the exact amount of space I needed to fill (yours may be differrent). This leaves about 1mm of air between the bar and the Master. It took me 32 washers total (8 for each bolt). As said before in this thread, it does smoosh the hoodliner a bit, but nothing drastic. After all the measuring, the spacers should be done sometime next week. The plan is to make a "bracket" that will sit flush on the strut tower to relieve the stress off of the longer bolts. Again, I will post pics of the project when I'm done. I'd get them done this weekend, but, it's DREAM CRUISE weekend yay
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm excited about getting this part on the car. happy
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:11 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
I'm excited about getting this part on the car. happy
im excited about you getting this part so i can hopefully order one happy
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:41 pm

I got one from my local GM dealership for about $40 and it came from another dealership in Wisconsin somewhere.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 6:37 pm

J. Chris Davis wrote:
I got one from my local GM dealership for about $40 and it came from another dealership in Wisconsin somewhere.
perfect, thats right next door. ill have to check my local dealerships first i guess.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 pm

97 park ave wrote:
perfect, thats right next door. ill have to check my local dealerships first i guess.

That's all MonsterPartsOnline is, a dealership. They have access to the GM parts data base, and can ship/receive parts from other dealers around the country. When Pat told you has had to get one, he meant get one from a different dealer. The reason they can sell them so cheap, is because that part is considered "old inventory". If a part sits on the shelf too long, the dealers sell them to other dealers for cost minus a percentage. That's how I got both my F41 sway bars for less than $100 wink

Tyler, the dealer you check at may not sell it to you so cheap. They have every right to sell one to you at list price. They may, or they may not though. It can't hurt to check.

DEMonte, you'll love it twisted

Just a lil FYI for ya from a former dealer employee.....
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Abaddon wrote:
97 park ave wrote:

That's all MonsterPartsOnline is, a dealership. They have access to the GM parts data base, and can ship/receive parts from other dealers around the country. When Pat told you has had to get one, he meant get one from a different dealer. The reason they can sell them so cheap, is because that part is considered "old inventory". If a part sits on the shelf too long, the dealers sell them to other dealers for cost minus a percentage. That's how I got both my F41 sway bars for less than $100 wink

Tyler, the dealer you check at may not sell it to you so cheap. They have every right to sell one to you at list price. They may, or they may not though. It can't hurt to check.

DEMonte, you'll love it twisted

Just a lil FYI for ya from a former dealer employee.....

thats why i was saying ill check around here first, i used to work at a dealer also and still get discounts. obviously if it costs more than monsterparts i would just order it through monsterparts but if theres a dealer close by that has it and i can give my dealer some business why not
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
Vinny-Just make sure the years correspond to what Aaron posted above. I think it was 98+. Anything older than that and the bar will look much bulkier and not be long enough. frown

Yup, was planning on doing that.

I'm hoping to score a few to share with some board members.

Couldn't remember what year it was so thanks for the reminder.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Well went to the junkyard today and there were plenty of caddy's but not what I wanted. frown

There were two STS. One was a 94 the other a 95. Oh well, the search goes on.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:09 pm

I know there's a good yard in Worcester with a lot of cars. Billboost hits that one a lot. If you're closer in CT to the border, might want to give that one a shot.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Abaddon wrote:
.... It took me 32 washers total (8 for each bolt). As said before in this thread, it does smoosh the hoodliner a bit, but nothing drastic. After all the measuring, the spacers should be done sometime next week. The plan is to make a "bracket" that will sit flush on the strut tower to relieve the stress off of the longer bolts. Again, I will post pics of the project when I'm done. I'd get them done this weekend, but, it's DREAM CRUISE weekend yay

That's crazy! You had to put 8 washers at EACH bolt, on your 98??? I needed only 2 washers at each bolt. How the heck can there be that much clearance difference in the same model year? 2 washers put my bar flush with the brake fluid res. dunno And I also have no "smooshing" of the headliner.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 2:48 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
I know there's a good yard in Worcester with a lot of cars. Billboost hits that one a lot. If you're closer in CT to the border, might want to give that one a shot.

When I've exhausted the junkyards in CT I'll consider going there. I'm always down for a road trip! The problem is a lot of the yards in CT won't let you roam around in the yard anymore and if they do have a part such as this that they deem useless/valueless to them they will not take the time to look for it or remove it from a vehicle. Sucks.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:03 am

1998 Riv wrote:
Abaddon wrote:
.... It took me 32 washers total (8 for each bolt). As said before in this thread, it does smoosh the hoodliner a bit, but nothing drastic. After all the measuring, the spacers should be done sometime next week. The plan is to make a "bracket" that will sit flush on the strut tower to relieve the stress off of the longer bolts. Again, I will post pics of the project when I'm done. I'd get them done this weekend, but, it's DREAM CRUISE weekend yay

That's crazy! You had to put 8 washers at EACH bolt, on your 98??? I needed only 2 washers at each bolt. How the heck can there be that much clearance difference in the same model year? 2 washers put my bar flush with the brake fluid res. dunno And I also have no "smooshing" of the headliner.

I'm guessing he found a thin washer, more like a shim than a washer. I also only needed 2 washers at each bolt to clear the master cyl and there's no contact to my hood liner either.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:09 am

Nope, washers are about .090" thick....just measured. That's weird that you guys got away with only 2. However, now that you mention it.....When I looked up the car on Dealer World before I bought it, the Master Cylinder had gotten replaced at 5000 miles for some recall or bulletin of some sort. It's possible that it's bigger (taller) for some reason.

Dealer World is awesome.
offtopic Was built in Flint. Was an Execs car for 9000 miles, then sold at a Flint Dealer to the previous owner! Have all dealer maintained service records as well......
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:49 am

No washers used here. I was once told my 'work hardened' STB bar was going to fold up and snap like a twig, but it's still just as stiff 2 years and 50k+ miles later, even after adding low profile tires (much more shock) and lots of hard cornering abuse, including 8 recent autocross runs.

Come on, join the Bar Benders club!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 am

AA wrote:
No washers used here. I was once told my 'work hardened' STB bar was going to fold up and snap like a twig, but it's still just as stiff 2 years and 50k+ miles later, even after adding low profile tires (much more shock) and lots of hard cornering abuse, including 8 recent autocross runs.

Come on, join the Bar Benders club!

Who the hell told you that?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:36 am

Read the thread. I really can't blame those who doubted my method, just pointing out the bar is still intact, still functioning. No washers and a perfect fit.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)
Page 16 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 26  Next