Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

"New" Old Member from California

Go down 
+2
J. Chris Davis
buickhunter
6 posters
AuthorMessage
buickhunter
Special
buickhunter

Name : Hal
Merit : 0

"New" Old Member from California Empty
PostSubject: "New" Old Member from California   "New" Old Member from California EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi Guys!

I bought my 98 Riv a few years ago, pics provide below.  Before doing so, I reviewed the posts on this website in great detail to gain insight on which year to buy.  Thanks so much for your useful inputs!  I very much enjoyed Snowdog's restoration of his Riviera in Europe.

BUT I NEED YOUR FURTHER INPUT....

At this point, I have some maintenance to do - Wheel hubs, struts, and motor mounts.  The car has 93K miles on it.  Left front tire has some play in the 3-9 o'clock positions (tie rod) and the 6-12 o'clock positions. Other wheels seem to have no play, but the hubs are 16 years old. Struts completely gone. I have replaced rear shock already with Monroe MaxAir.

I want to put KYB struts on, unless you guys have a better recommendation.  Would like to lower the front wheels by an inch or so, but there is no lowering kit for the Riv, as I understand it.  

I have heard concerns raised about the quality of Timken wheel hubs.  Are they still good, or do you guys recommend a better brand (SKF?  MOOG/National?).  I know enough to avoid anything made in China.  Looking to buy from RockAuto, if they can tell me country of origin.  I guess I could buy from intense racing and trust that they would not give me a bad product.  Or should I just pay up for AC-Delcos? Thoughts?

I also need to support the engine properly in order to change the mounts and serpentine belt.  The dealership that previously worked on the car dented up the oil pan.  I ran across a post somewhere in this forum or another site that described a home-made wooden support device that supported the oil pan near the front of the engine.  Any thoughts or info on this would be appreciated!  Thanks!  - Hal

"New" Old Member from California Rivpic10

"New" Old Member from California Rivpic11

"New" Old Member from California Rivpic12
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: "New" Old Member from California   "New" Old Member from California EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 11:13 am

Looks nice. I sure do like the color wink
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: "New" Old Member from California   "New" Old Member from California EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 11:35 am

Purdy! Welcome to the site (again) hi

KYB is a good strut. Many guys here use them. Personally, I don't like Monroe anything. They're a terrible strut IMO. The Delcos can be found quite cheaply online. Even with my suspension mods, I'm running the Delco struts.

As for supporting the Engine......
any time I've had those mounts apart, I supported the Drivetrain by the transmission, NOT the oil pan. A simple wood block and a floor jack under the tranny is plenty of support.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: "New" Old Member from California   "New" Old Member from California EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 12:37 pm

NICE 98!

TAKE GOOD CARE OF THAT SEXY MACHINE
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: "New" Old Member from California   "New" Old Member from California EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Hal welcome.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: "New" Old Member from California   "New" Old Member from California EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 3:03 pm

WELCOME HOME  hi 
Beautiful Riv
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "New" Old Member from California   "New" Old Member from California Empty

Back to top Go down

"New" Old Member from California
Page 1 of 1