Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Headlights won't turn on?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gunmetalRED
gunmetalRED

Name : Kristin
Merit : 3

Headlights won't turn on? Empty
PostSubject: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Hey all, I just noticed this evening that my headlights won't turn on in the dark!

I was fumbling around for my cabin lights, car running, but not sure if I was in Park or not, because there was an adult praying mantis flying around my interior! I found him and shooed him out, and realized halfway down my street (it was about 9:30 PM) that my headlights weren't on. I pulled out the control knob to turn them on manually and they still would not turn on!

I made it home with my brights on, but I still cannot figure out what's up with my low beams. I figured maybe I accidentally did that little trick to turn off all exterior lamps while in Park, but when I try to turn them back on, my dash lights, ambers, and taillights turn back on, but my headlights will not. And no matter what, the manual switch will not work.

However my low beams do turn on when unlocking the car in the dark. They just turn off when I insert my key.

Suggestions? Would unhooking my battery reset whatever the heck I maybe did while fumbling for the cabin lights? Or do you think it's just a coincidence?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 10:00 pm

If I'm understanding you correctly, if you pull the knob the taillights will come on but not the headlights?

Will the taillights come on automatically?

Either way I would check fuses before anything.
Back to top Go down
gunmetalRED
gunmetalRED

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 10:38 pm

Yes, the taillights turn on, but not the headlamps. The fuses appear to be fine.

I just realized the brights are the flood lights that turn on when you unlock in the dark, not the low beams, so it may be possible both of my lamps burned out at the same time... I'll have to check that out in the morning (no illuminated garage for me.... sniffle). I know they always say they "burn out in pairs," but damn.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 11:03 pm

For me, when I click the fob once (unlocks only the drivers door) it flashes the low beams. 2 clicks (both doors) it flashes both high and low beams.
Back to top Go down
gunmetalRED
gunmetalRED

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 11:41 pm

Hmmm, interesting. I will check that out in the daylight. I never noticed a difference with the headlamps, but I do know mine turns on the reverse lights when I double click unlock.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 1:22 am

Quote :
just realized the brights are the flood lights that turn on when you unlock in the dark, not the low beams, so it may be possible both of my lamps burned out at the same time...

I'd almost bet money it's the bulbs. They really do burn out in pairs, usually within a few days of each other. It is unusual they burned out in summer, though.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 10:05 am

Kristin, you gotta get those eurolamps or whatever they are called. The bright white ones.

Nows your chance! Been running these for about 18 months and I love them.

http://eurolamps.com/eurolamps/xenon-charged.htm
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 11:14 am

It is very possible you had one low beam bulb out and didn't notice, and the 2nd bulb went out leaving you in the dark. Many of us have experienced them burning out very close to each other in these cars.
Back to top Go down
gunmetalRED
gunmetalRED

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 7:06 pm

Aaron gets a cookie! It was both of the bulbs! Wild. I've never had both burn out at the same time before, or at least that closely where I didn't notice (I always check my reflection in others' bumpers while driving).  I'm just glad it was the bulbs and not some extravagant electrical issue.

And yes, I am now part of the crazy-bright headlight club! smile Sylvania SilverStar Ultras are on sale at Auto Zone for $40 a pair.

Headlights won't turn on? Photo_12
Back to top Go down
gunmetalRED
gunmetalRED

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 7:09 pm

Now to tackle those god-awful yellowed cornering lenses...
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Nice. now let's go race at norwalk tomorrow night!
Back to top Go down
gunmetalRED
gunmetalRED

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Ha! Maybe I'll show up sometime if you want a baseline for how a 100% stock Riviera would perform... But I wouldn't use the term "race," haha. I haven't even gotten a K&N high flow air filter yet.

But. On the subject of headlights. Just drove with the new Ultra headlights for the first time last night.

Whyyyyyy did I not switch to these sooner?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlights won't turn on?   Headlights won't turn on? Empty

Back to top Go down

Headlights won't turn on?
Page 1 of 1