Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

What a huge difference! New rack & front struts and mounts and ...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lisa P

Name : Lisa P
Merit : 2

What a huge difference! New rack &  front struts and mounts and ... Empty
PostSubject: What a huge difference! New rack & front struts and mounts and ...   What a huge difference! New rack &  front struts and mounts and ... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 9:11 am

Wheel hub's (all around) I own two Riv's now a 1995 PERFECT SC never seen snow no rust and a 1997 that sat on grass. Ms. Rusty.

The 1997's engine cradle rusted through this summer and I got to experience the "bending" or caving in tire experience. Looking at the steering wheel the center had moved half way to the left...it will get your heart pumping. I'd spent so much time focusing on rear new lateral control arms, tire rod ends, shock's brakes, that I believed my old mechanic when he said, 'Oh you don't need front struts yet.   Okay...sure... back's bad fronts okay...  

Got the steering rack and pinon (Rack 292 w/Sensor + Outer Tie Rods x2 95-99 Buick/Oldsmobile Complete Steering Rack and Pinion + NEW OUTER TIE RODS) $130 from Detroit Axel, re-manufactured with life time warranty on eBay (my mechanic found the part, new for $400 I said let me look...) I then used the extra loot for mounts and strut's thank you for posting these:

1997 Buick Park Avenue KYB Strut Assembly
KYB 334677

1997 Buick Riviera KYB Strut Mounting Kit
KYB SM5286

I have that floppy steering wheel so I guess I didn't realize how sloppy the car drove...not now! Like a race car and I'm getting Michelin Defenders put on today... The car is amazing, no wonder I loved them so, I leased new ones in 1995 and 1998, now I remember how great they can drive. I'm so glad I did not sell the 1997 I did put $$$ into it but she has 99,000 I'm sure I can keep her running for a while (Yes just replaced the upper and lower head gaskets.) really glad I found the Detroit Axel site.  

Thanks you fella's for all your post's I think you really helped me find the right parts! bounce hi cyclops
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: What a huge difference! New rack & front struts and mounts and ...   What a huge difference! New rack &  front struts and mounts and ... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 3:12 pm

AWESOME

What was it that fixed your floppy wheel? the steering rack and pinon?

My wheel feels sloppy and I want to get it tightened up.
Back to top Go down
Lisa P

Name : Lisa P
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Still about an inch of play in the steering its the "flop steering column"    What a huge difference! New rack &  front struts and mounts and ... EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 1:06 pm

Must be the rack and pinon..Changed the rack and pinon, struts and strut mounts, re-man from Detroit Axel $135 with tire rod ends.

I have that rotten steering wheel side to side up and down flop...HATE IT gives me about an inch of play in the steering, I have a 1995 Riv, also (the rental option/correction when Rusty takes a dump) no rust steering fine..steering difference is un-real.

The 1997 drives great just put on Michelin Defenders, she is tight on corners but going straight that dame steering column sucks, i'm going to look for a right up I really like my mechanic, (he's become my fiance, since i bought this car LOL)  but MS. RUSTY is full of surprises, wonder if I should go there tear apart the steering column or just live with it...was it just the 1997's that have this issue???? She is something else this 1997!!! 99,000 miles think twice about buying an old person's car...she never drove it but she did not take care of it either and used the steering wheel as a brace to get in and out of the car! nono
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: What a huge difference! New rack & front struts and mounts and ...   What a huge difference! New rack &  front struts and mounts and ... EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Here is the write up for the steering column slop. I've been saving this link for when I fix mine. It's not bad yet and hasn't gotten any worse in the last couple of years. So I'm holding off till I have to do fix it.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6471-faq-steering-column-slop-problems-replacement?highlight=steering+suspension
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What a huge difference! New rack & front struts and mounts and ...   What a huge difference! New rack &  front struts and mounts and ... Empty

Back to top Go down

What a huge difference! New rack & front struts and mounts and ...
Page 1 of 1