Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Accusump - Anyone Use One?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Accusump - Anyone Use One? Empty
PostSubject: Accusump - Anyone Use One?   Accusump - Anyone Use One? EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 12:39 pm

I came upon this recently, and it seems like a great idea. Anyone have knowledge or opinions of this product? It would seem to me cold starts would be less hard on the engine with an Accusump installed.

http://www.accusump.com/acc_tech_accusump.html

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Accusump - Anyone Use One?   Accusump - Anyone Use One? EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 1:01 pm

It sounds like something that is used in aircraft hydraulic systems, and other applications I'm sure. In that application it is called an accumulator, it has a pre-charge in case hydraulic pressure is lost, then it would leave you a short burst of pressure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Accusump - Anyone Use One?   Accusump - Anyone Use One? EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Yes, that's how it works, like in a high-G turn, when the oil shifts to one side of the pan. What got my attention is how it will hold oil pressure when you turn off the engine, then reapply it right before you turn it over to start. Seems like it would help the "hard start" situation tremendously.

Not a performance mod, but a longevity mod.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Boattail Bill
Fanatic

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Accusump - Anyone Use One?   Accusump - Anyone Use One? EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:05 am

Hey Aaron,
Merry Christmas, and all that good stuff. Been neglecting the forum for awhile - sorry - but my girlfriend's '97 SC has been having a sluggish takeoff from cold start & is showing code P0471. So I've been surfing the tech category looking for information on this item (looks like I need to have the Torque Converter Clutch Circuit and/or solenoid looked at), but I came across this post from a few years ago.

Maybe way too late to do any good for your question, but we used a 3 quart AccuSump accumulator on my '71 salt flats race Riviera & then later, I swapped it over to my '73 Silver State Challenge road rally Riviera. Several advantages; Like you said, if used conscientiously (sp?), it should REALLY cut down on wear from cold starts. Also, as you said, during hard cornering, braking, or acceleration - any time the oil "sloshes" in the pan and risks uncovering the pickup tube, the AccuSump should keep the oil feed up for several seconds.

The main reason(s) we put it on the salt flats (and Silver State) car(s) are: 1) the 455 oil sysem is notoriously weak, so we thought this might buy us some insurance. 2) it effectivly increased our oil capacity by 3 quarts - always a good thing. And 3) we'd heard the drain-back from under the rocker arm/valve cover area is slow enough that the pan could get dangerously low as this area filled up with most of the engine's oil supply. Unfortunately, as you may remember, the engine blew up, anyway, but in the meantime, I'm sold on the AccuSump accumulator idea. If a person were to install one on a new car (or engine), and then used it regularly during start-up, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have the potential to TRIPLE the life of said engine by reducing that harsh start-up wear.

I loved it the way it worked. 1) get in car, strap in, stick key in ignition. 2) flip AccuSump switch to "on" and watch the oil pressure gauge come up. 3) crank engine. No internal parts move until oil pressure has come up!!! How can you get any better than that?!?!?!?!
Accusump - Anyone Use One? Thumbs
Bill
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Accusump - Anyone Use One?   Accusump - Anyone Use One? EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:48 am

Hey Bill, Merry Christmas to you, and Happy New Year! Glad to hear from you, and thanks for the feedback on the Accusump. I never added this mod, but as my car has turned 215k miles recently I wish I had, and I may still get one if I find for the right price. The next low mile car I buy, this may be one of the first things I do!

Best of luck on the Salt Flats,
Aaron

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Accusump - Anyone Use One?   Accusump - Anyone Use One? EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:15 am

I have one thats by "Auto Engine Lube" I havnt installed it yet ,but plan to as soon as my suspension is done...
Back to top Go down
Boattail Bill
Fanatic

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Accusump - Anyone Use One?   Accusump - Anyone Use One? EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 1:27 pm

AccuSump isn't the only brand. Sometimes in the Summit (or Jegs) catalogs there will be one from ????? I'm wanting to say Moroso, but might be someone else. If I were ever to install a "new" engine in any car that I was wrenching on (doing power mods, etc), I think the AccuSump would be high on the list. I don't know the actual figure off the top of my head, but it's HIGH (like 2/3rds) as to the percentage of total engine wear thats from cold starts. I'd think the AccuSump would reduce that particular wear by 75% or more.

Also, I mentioned "flipping the switch to "on" before starting". There are different ways to hook it up. We went with a manually controlled electronic valve. Another (maybe more common) way to do it is to have it open automatically when the ignition is turned on. The reason we didn't opt to do it automatically with the key was so we wouldn't ever inadvertantly let it all drain into the crankcase by having the key on with the engine off. Of course, we put it in the salt flats car first, and with that, the conventional key start was eliminated with separate "master power" switch and "start" button. So we just put an AccuSump "on" & "off" switch on the panel. Then when I moved it (AccuSump) to the other car, I'd gotten used to the separate on & off dedicated switch & liked it. When and if the salt flats car ever gets it's new engine finished & installed, it will have a dry sump oiling system, so the AccuSump wouldn't be needed in addition to that. freak
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accusump - Anyone Use One?   Accusump - Anyone Use One? Empty

Back to top Go down

Accusump - Anyone Use One?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: