Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Im back with a new $500 Riviera.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RvieraRider

Name : Curtis
Merit : 0

Im back with a new $500 Riviera. Empty
PostSubject: Im back with a new $500 Riviera.   Im back with a new $500 Riviera. EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 pm

Im back with a new $500 Riviera.  border=" />
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: Im back with a new $500 Riviera.   Im back with a new $500 Riviera. EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:52 pm

Well that sucks, I just saw the picture in the preview. I will try to post it later today. But here are the stats. 1998 supercharged Riviera, with 190,000 thousand miles on it. It its last leg, but I really wanted another Rivi and for $500 I'm not really losing much. So far I have changed the water pump, the from trans mount, I fixed the AC. It would not blow anything at first, but I could feel cool air coming from somewhere. I thought it was the blower motor at first, but it turned out it was the resistor. Cost me 7 dollars from the junk yard now I have cold air. I put 2 tires on the front. It will need, new front and rear tie rod ends, front and rear sway bar links, new control arm bushings(control arms), probably a super charge coupler, but you can just barely hear it rattle. new plugs and wires, new struts and shocks, new passenger door handle, door key, passenger turning light, brakes, maybe rotors and probably one wheel bearing(ABS light on/Trac control off), fuel filter(scared of this one because there is some rust), an alignment, new chrome center caps. I have my work cut out for me. My problem is I don't have as much time as I would like and not that much money to put into this car all at once. This weekend I will try to get the control arms, tie rods, and rear trans mount done. I would normally sell a car that needed this much work , but I want to try to keep her and fix her up. My only grip is that it doesn't have a sunroof. Man when I hit that supercharge she really moves. Last car before this was a caddy, so I'm use to have some power at the wheels. I have a vibration at speed,60-70 I think it might be because of the control arms, but I will see if this helps any, It doesn't feel tire related. Vibration/ wobble seems like it is confined to the from area behind the petals. I sat in the back while someone else drove and did not feel the vibration as much. No wheel bearing noise or un and down play. I hope I solve that problem this weekend, so I can move on the plugs and wires and fuel filter. Well that's all for now. I will post when I am done. It's good to back.
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: Im back with a new $500 Riviera.   Im back with a new $500 Riviera. EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Last edited by RvieraRider on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: Im back with a new $500 Riviera.   Im back with a new $500 Riviera. EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 1:08 pm

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPxPLvqBVIGDG9zzuOSJ_mQMXQBSCZ3upzk-bPN
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: Im back with a new $500 Riviera.   Im back with a new $500 Riviera. EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Does anybody still use this site?
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Im back with a new $500 Riviera.   Im back with a new $500 Riviera. EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Hahaha...We're all here brother.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Im back with a new $500 Riviera.   Im back with a new $500 Riviera. EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 11:00 pm

I think good weather weekends there aren't too many online.
Your Google link didn't work for me. Hope you get the car operating to your satisfaction soon, welcome back

Jbird

Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: Im back with a new $500 Riviera.   Im back with a new $500 Riviera. EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 11:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDEMMJkspQI
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: Im back with a new $500 Riviera.   Im back with a new $500 Riviera. EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 12:08 am

Hello guys thanks for the replies. I was just checking. I haven't had a Riviera in while now so it is good to be around people that appreciate these cars.
Today I put on new control arms, sway bar links, and tie rod ends. I just have to get an alignment soon.
I have a vibration between 60 and 70. Then it gets less noticeable but it never goes away completely once I'm past 60. This was happening before and after the the work I did above. I was thinking maybe a cv axle, but no tears or rips, no additional play in the joints. The vibration is constant with my foot on the gas and off the gas cruising. I had a Cadillac that I switched tires with and I still got the same vibration. It feels like the car is going to come apart until I get past that speed. I do have an abs light on but no play in any of the wheel bearings. I don't hear any noises that you would typically have with bad wheel bearing. Can A bad rear engine mount cause this or a inner tie rods? I'm still guessing. I might have to just take it to a shop and have them check it out. I just hate when the don't have the answer they just want to throw parts at it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Im back with a new $500 Riviera.   Im back with a new $500 Riviera. Empty

Back to top Go down

Im back with a new $500 Riviera.
Page 1 of 1