Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE

Go down 
+2
robotennis61
randall729
6 posters
AuthorMessage
randall729
Rookie

Name : randall r. beard
Merit : 0

TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY  IN THE GARAGE Empty
PostSubject: TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE   TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY  IN THE GARAGE EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 9:13 pm

I had my son remove the engine oil filter. The filter is up above the transmission lines. They were rusty and one of the lines broke. The question is are the lines under any pressure of sorts? I was going to cut out the bad part and repair with braided hose line and clamps? Would this work?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE   TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY  IN THE GARAGE EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 11:09 pm

Well,I used just plain old rubber hose transmission oil compatible. I then cut and flared the trans line and joined them with the rubber hose with two circle clamps/No problem.From what I can gather trans lines are low pressure.But flaring the line is really recommended.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE   TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY  IN THE GARAGE EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Those transmission lines are definitely under high pressure. Yes, they _can_ be repaired with hose clamps and hose, but _should_ they? No. At least use a compression fitting to a hose barb, or flare the ends. The lines actually aren't that hard to replace end to end, and that's your better move. It's just 5/16 tubing, cheap and reliable. I've seen fires started from leaking transmission cooler lines hitting the exhaust manifolds, IMO not worth the risk here.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE   TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY  IN THE GARAGE EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 3:31 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Well,I used just plain old rubber hose transmission oil compatible. I then cut and flared the trans line and joined them with the rubber hose with two circle clamps/No problem.From what I can gather trans lines are low pressure.But flaring the line is really recommended.  

Hi Robo

Rubber hose? Depends on where that line runs.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE   TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY  IN THE GARAGE EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 10:59 pm

albertj wrote:

robotennis61 wrote:

Hi Robo

Rubber hose?  Depends on where that line runs.

Albertj

Hey Al,I replaced both lines going into the Independent rad trans cooler
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE   TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY  IN THE GARAGE EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Oh.

robotennis61 wrote:

albertj wrote:

robotennis61 wrote:

Hi Robo

Rubber hose?  Depends on where that line runs.

Albertj

Hey Al,I replaced both lines going into the Independent rad trans cooler
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE   TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY  IN THE GARAGE EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 6:39 pm

From what I know one line is a High pressure line and the other is the return line (low pressure).

Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE   TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY  IN THE GARAGE EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 7:56 pm

The transmission lines are relatively low pressure.  I just installed a new 400 transmission in my 70 GS.  I have seen several cases over the last few years of guys pushing the crank and wiping out the thrust bearing in their big block engines.  One of the things that can cause that is too much pressure in the cooler circuit of a transmission.  It causes the torque converter to push forward on the back of the crank.  Anything from a crimped line, or clogged cooler can cause higher pressures.  Since I just spent 10K on my engine, I wanted to err on the side of caution, so I plumbed in a digital gauge to read the cooling circuit pressure.  It would vary between 18 and 40 psi.  If I put the transmission in manual low, the pressure would go to 60 psi with some throttle, but no higher.  Good power steering hose and clamps are OK.  I had that leading to my cooler for years and it stood up to drag racing.  Just use the right hose, not regular fuel line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE   TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY  IN THE GARAGE Empty

Back to top Go down

TRANSMISSION LINE BROKE TODAY IN THE GARAGE
Page 1 of 1