Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Poor MPG

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 11:23 pm

I was really expecting better gas mileage with this car. The highest I've ever seen is 25mpg going 55mph on flat road with the a/c off and no wind or passing. Currently it gets between 15 and 20 mpg with the cruise at 65mph, ac compressor not running, no wind, no passing. I've been battling this for a while. The car has new ac delco iridium plugs, ac delco wires, a new ac delco fuel filter, 2 new denso 02 sensors, a new 195 thermostat, a new pcv valve, cleaned the egr and reinstalled with a new gasket, and a new paper air filter. It also has a new alternator, 2 new belts, and all of the idler pulleys are new. I've also cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. I always use premium, I've sea foamed it once (half in the tank and half down the booster vacuum line) and ran a few cans through random tanks of gas, also ran a bottle of techron once. I keep the tires between 35 and 37psi. My boost gauge usually sits between 9 to 7 (not sure if in. hg or psi?) on the vacuum side with the cruise set at 65mph. The engine runs just fine and has plenty of power, doesn't burn more than 1/2 a quart between 5000 mile oil changes (syn. blend) even with a very miniscule pan gasket drip here and there when parked.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 2:28 pm

You aren't too far off the mark getting 25. Highest I remember getting with my '98 was 27 and I think there was a tailwind both ways. Higher can be had but it's tough. You should be able to get 24-25 at 65 mph if it's smooth/flat driving and no major headwind. I seem to recall averaging 22-24 hwy mpg, more like 16-18 city.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 pm

I get 28 with the cruise control set to 65. My best is 32 on a trip to Ohio and back. Left the cruise off and kept the engine out of boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 1:34 am

Have you checked to make sure the boost bypass valve is working? If that is stuck closed(happened on my car) it impacts the fuel economy quite noticably in daily driving.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 2:00 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
I get 28 with the cruise control set to 65. My best is 32 on a trip to Ohio and back. Left the cruise off and kept the engine out of boost.
28mpg is what I was expecting to get at about 65mph when I bought the car, especially since everybody I talked to that owned a series 2 praised the gas mileage.

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:
Have you checked to make sure the boost bypass valve is working? If that is stuck closed(happened on my car) it impacts the fuel economy quite noticably in daily driving.
It definitely is working, I get boost and have seen it move when revving the engine from under the hood.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 7:32 pm

stydel311 wrote:
I was really expecting better gas mileage with this car.  The highest I've ever seen is 25mpg going 55mph on flat road with the a/c off and no wind or passing.  Currently it gets between 15 and 20 mpg with the cruise at 65mph, ac compressor not running, no wind, no passing.  I've been battling this for a while.  The car has new ac delco iridium plugs, ac delco wires, a new ac delco fuel filter, 2 new denso 02 sensors, a new 195 thermostat, a new pcv valve, cleaned the egr and reinstalled with a new gasket, and a new paper air filter.  It also has a new alternator, 2 new belts, and all of the idler pulleys are new.  I've also cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner.  I always use premium, I've sea foamed it once (half in the tank and half down the booster vacuum line) and ran a few cans through random tanks of gas, also ran a bottle of techron once. I keep the tires between 35 and 37psi. My boost gauge usually sits between 9 to 7 (not sure if in. hg or psi?) on the vacuum side with the cruise set at 65mph.  The engine runs just fine and has plenty of power, doesn't burn more than 1/2 a quart between 5000 mile oil changes (syn. blend) even with a very miniscule pan gasket drip here and there when parked.

given what you have checked so far:

- check your injectors.  One or more may be dumping fuel.
- check your alignment... any unusual shoulder wear on tires?
- how much do you weigh, and what do you normally carry around in the car?
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 11:15 pm

albertj wrote:
given what you have checked so far:

- check your injectors.  One or more may be dumping fuel.
- check your alignment... any unusual shoulder wear on tires?
- how much do you weigh, and what do you normally carry around in the car?
How would I go about checking injectors? Wouldn't it run goofy if one was doing that?

The tires are pretty dry rotted so its getting new ones in a few weeks and also an alignment. I think I remember one of the passenger tires having ever so slightly more wear on either the inside or the outside, not sure if it was front or back but it wasn't anything horrible.

The car with me and a full tank of gas is right at 4,000lbs according to the scale.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Another thing that affects gas mileage is tire inflation. When the Riviera was new, the OEM tires had a maximum inflation pressure of 35 psi. The tire inflation decal from Buick says 30 psi. The newer tires today will commonly have a maximum inflation pressure of 51 psi. If you run 30 psi in them, they will be under inflated and that will affect gas mileage. The Yokohama Ecsta TRX tires on my Riv say 51 lbs. I inflate them proportionately at 43 psi. The ride is not hard.

Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 5:26 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
Another thing that affects gas mileage is tire inflation.  When the Riviera was new, the OEM tires had a maximum inflation pressure of 35 psi.  The tire inflation decal from Buick says 30 psi.  The newer tires today will commonly have a maximum inflation pressure of 51 psi.  If you run 30 psi in them, they will be under inflated and that will affect gas mileage.  The Yokohama Ecsta TRX tires on my Riv say 51 lbs.  I inflate them proportionately at 43 psi.  The ride is not hard.
I do run them at about 35-37 psi, depends on the temperature since it swings so much here in the winter. I believe the max on the cheapo's that are on there is 44 psi.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 6:23 pm

stydel311 wrote:

I do run them at about 35-37 psi, depends on the temperature since it swings so much here in the winter.  I believe the max on the cheapo's that are on there is 44 psi.

Yup, that's about right. When you buy new tires, just check the sidewall. Lots of tires are 51 psi now.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyFri Jan 29, 2016 11:05 am

If your tires are really old, new tires may help a lot. Make sure the new tires are "LRR" (Low rolling resistance) if you do a lot of highway miles and want the MPG to go up. I had sticky performance tires on my car and altered the gearing, so 24 never bothered me...
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyFri Jan 29, 2016 10:49 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
If your tires are really old, new tires may help a lot. Make sure the new tires are "LRR" (Low rolling resistance) if you do a lot of highway miles and want the MPG to go up. I had sticky performance tires on my car and altered the gearing, so 24 never bothered me...
The Pirelli's I am putting on in a few weeks are low resistance, these are kind of the last thing left to do before I can just drive it without worrying about anything.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptySun Aug 14, 2016 10:23 pm

Just updating this post, I ran Techron through a couple tanks of gas and that seemed to help a bit. Finally got new tires (Hankook Optimo H727's) and an alignment at the dealership, what a difference. The car is so quiet going down the road and rides so much better compared to the crappy tires it had on it. Just took a 400 mile trip at 60 mph with 3 people and quite a bit of idling and stop signs and got 28 mpg. Amazing what a set of quality tires can do, especially on an expensive car.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 12:24 pm

stydel311 wrote:
Just updating this post, I ran Techron through a couple tanks of gas and that seemed to help a bit.  Finally got new tires (Hankook Optimo H727's) and an alignment at the dealership, what a difference.  The car is so quiet going down the road and rides so much better compared to the crappy tires it had on it.  Just took a 400 mile trip at 60 mph with 3 people and quite a bit of idling and stop signs and got 28 mpg.  Amazing what a set of quality tires can do, especially on an expensive car.

You can also try using a good synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 oil.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 9:32 pm

albertj wrote:

stydel311 wrote:
Just updating this post, I ran Techron through a couple tanks of gas and that seemed to help a bit.  Finally got new tires (Hankook Optimo H727's) and an alignment at the dealership, what a difference.  The car is so quiet going down the road and rides so much better compared to the crappy tires it had on it.  Just took a 400 mile trip at 60 mph with 3 people and quite a bit of idling and stop signs and got 28 mpg.  Amazing what a set of quality tires can do, especially on an expensive car.

You can also try using a good synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 oil.
I have been running Valvoline MaxLife 10w30 Synthetic Blend since I bought the car and have been having good results. It helped with a small oil leak. I also use a Napa Gold (Wix) 1040 filter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Poor MPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG   Poor MPG Empty

Back to top Go down

Poor MPG
Page 1 of 1