Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Has anyone lowered their Riv?

Go down 
+8
matt270avian
Abaddon
charlieRobinson
DEMonte1997
87TurboT
moestippich
Jack the R
100percentjake
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Has anyone lowered their Riv?   Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 3:12 pm

Since I installed new springs all the way around in the '98, I can disconnect the air lines from the shocks, and the car doesn't move. Just sayin.

These cars are anywhere from 17-21 years old. I'm willing to bet that most of us have worn out springs, and I KNOW that all the control arm bushings are dry-rotted and sagging like crazy. I'm also sure that some of your cars are severely dependent on the ALC system to keep the car "level".

There are a bunch of factors in the game, but springs are what set your base ride height.

As far as "readjusting" the rear level sensor to lower the rear of the car....All you're doing is making the car bounce. What you can do, is find somebody with a Tech II. Connect to the Rear Integration Module, and do a hard relearn of "level" for the rear of the car. This requires raising the car with a jack, or having a fat friend sit on the trunk and reset the "center". I have to do this every time I put shocks on any older car with an ALC system like the Riv. After time of driving on blown out shocks, the RIM will actually relearn itself slowly. When you put the new shocks on, the compressor pumps them up full and the car sits 6" higher in the back. Thus, the relearn.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that you can adjust camber in the rear if you really wanted to. They make different thickness hub shims that, when put in the right spot behind the hub, will change camber. I have to use these on solid axle FWD cars that have bad alignment in the rear.

Last edited by Abaddon on Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone lowered their Riv?   Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 3:26 pm

if you dont have a tech II you can just bend the level arm. Trial and error to get it where ya want it
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone lowered their Riv?   Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 3:28 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
if you dont have a tech II you can just bend the level arm. Trial and error to get it where ya want it

Or bend the bracket that the sensor is attached too. If you saw mine though, you ain't bendin it poop
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone lowered their Riv?   Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 3:29 pm

Abaddon wrote:

charlieRobinson wrote:

Or bend the bracket that the sensor is attached too. If you saw mine though, you ain't bendin it poop

After installing my springs the back was too low. Had to bend the arm to get more lift to keep it from bottoming out drunk
Back to top Go down
RivDude
Special

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: eaton detroit spring   Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2016 8:25 am

"AFAIK the Eibach springs are the only proper way to lower a Riviera"

What about Eaton Detroit Spring?  Has anyone tried them?  They said they have 1" lower front springs for the 95.  $199
www DOT eatondetroitspring.com/coil-springs/
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone lowered their Riv?   Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2016 8:33 pm

then you have to figure out something to drop the rear
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone lowered their Riv?   Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 10:16 am

Gooooooooooood luck with the whole Eibach thing. razz
Back to top Go down
RivDude
Special

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone lowered their Riv?   Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 6:59 pm

The Eibachs are discontinued and have been for some time now. The only way to find them is used.

I was under the impression that I could get some lower height adjustment from the rear level control. I think an inch would be pushing it for sure though.

I read around here that some have tried without good results. Has anyone had success with this method?
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone lowered their Riv?   Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

As Scott said, it may lower it a bit since your springs are probably worn, but it's going to ride like shit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone lowered their Riv?   Has anyone lowered their Riv? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone lowered their Riv?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2