Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Oil Overfill

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

Oil Overfill Empty
PostSubject: Oil Overfill   Oil Overfill EmptySat May 07, 2016 12:09 pm

So this last change I used the Purolator PureOne equivalent to the PF52 oil filter. I read that by doing this it is ok dump in a whole 5 quarts. After checking the oil today it is at least a half quart over filled, probably a little more. Do I need to drain some or is it ok?
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

Oil Overfill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Overfill   Oil Overfill EmptySun May 08, 2016 9:08 pm

I personally wouldn't run a car that's filled over capacity. Some say an overfilled crankcase will whip the oil into a froth and actually end up starving the pump, others run their car that has known oil burning issues a half quart over. I'd drain it to be safe
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

Oil Overfill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Overfill   Oil Overfill EmptySun May 08, 2016 11:38 pm

h20man wrote:
I personally wouldn't run a car that's filled over capacity. Some say an overfilled crankcase will whip the oil into a froth and actually end up starving the pump, others run their car that has known oil burning issues a half quart over. I'd drain it to be safe
I let some out tonight. I know you can go a little over since the tray in the pan gasket somewhat prevents foaming, but I had quite a bit too much. Now I know how much to put in with a bigger filter I guess.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

Oil Overfill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Overfill   Oil Overfill EmptyMon May 09, 2016 8:50 am

It's just piece of mind, you'll feel better driving it knowing it's filled properly. Like I said I've seen cars run fine overfilled. My work van for example (4.3 vortec gmc) was filled about half quart more and is fine
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Oil Overfill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Overfill   Oil Overfill EmptyWed May 11, 2016 9:30 pm

stydel311 wrote:
So this last change I used the Purolator PureOne equivalent to the PF52 oil filter. I read that by doing this it is ok dump in a whole 5 quarts. After checking the oil today it is at least a half quart over filled, probably a little more. Do I need to drain some or is it ok?

Ahem.

The PF52 only holds about 8-10 oz ( a coffee cup) more oil than the 47.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

Oil Overfill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Overfill   Oil Overfill EmptyWed May 11, 2016 11:27 pm

albertj wrote:

stydel311 wrote:

Ahem.

The PF52 only holds about 8-10 oz ( a coffee cup) more oil than the 47.
Holding the 2 side by side it is quiet obvious to me now that there isn't as much more in the bigger filter than I was thinking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil Overfill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Overfill   Oil Overfill Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil Overfill
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: