Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

sound right to you?

Go down 
+2
robotennis61
designer1962
6 posters
AuthorMessage
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

Name : Harvey
Merit : 3

sound right to you? Empty
PostSubject: sound right to you?   sound right to you? EmptySat Sep 10, 2016 4:25 pm

I just had a water pump installed on my 1995 Riviera with supercharger. I supplied all parts.
The bill came to $382 for labor. It took 3hrs and 35 minutes to do the work. Does this sound about right to you guys.

It shocked me a bit since I wasn't expecting anything close to that. I didn't think a water pump install was much of a project.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: sound right to you?   sound right to you? EmptySat Sep 10, 2016 8:19 pm

not that bad. not too expensive, not too cheap
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: sound right to you?   sound right to you? EmptySat Sep 10, 2016 11:25 pm

Sounds about right to pay a shop to do it, vs doing it yourself. And again, I'm surprised to hear that a shop will do such work with customer-supplied parts.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

PostSubject: Re: sound right to you?   sound right to you? EmptySun Sep 11, 2016 8:17 am

designer1962 wrote:
I just had a water pump installed on my 1995 Riviera with supercharger. I supplied all parts.
The bill came to $382 for labor. It took 3hrs and 35 minutes to do the work. Does this sound about right to you guys.

It shocked me a bit since I wasn't expecting anything close to that. I didn't think a water pump install was much of a project.

Sounds right to me as well. You have to remove a lot to get to the pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

Name : Harvey
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: sound right to you?   sound right to you? EmptySun Sep 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks for the input everybody. l had no idea so much was involved. I've only had water pumps put on engines mounted the old front to back way.

I've used the same garage for the past 35 years,. They've always allowed me to supply my own parts.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: sound right to you?   sound right to you? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 2:28 pm

designer1962 wrote:
Thanks for the input everybody. l had no idea so much was involved. I've only had water pumps put on engines mounted the old front to back way.

I've used the same garage for the past 35 years,. They've always allowed me to supply my own parts.

I read your Signature. About the vibration you have in your car with new engine--check your motor and transmission mounts. They are not very robust and they are very important. From the side they look like a spindly rubber X in a relatively large opening. Some people actually fill them with 3M Window Weld silicone.

I dunno about your engine -- but on my '98 SC I can (easily) balance a nickel on edge on the engine (on the sight shield ribs) while car is idling.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: sound right to you?   sound right to you? EmptyMon Sep 19, 2016 4:48 pm

FWIW in order to replace the water pump you need to support the engine and remove the engine-to-front mount bracket, which is itself quite a chore. I'm surprised they got it done in only 3 hours. Last time I installed a water pump I decided to take a wicked shortcut and literally cut the old water pump off the bolt that wouldn't come out without removing the engine bracket... then to install the new pump I did this:

sound right to you? 24936939033_822c705335_c

No mechanic from a shop would ever be able to take that shortcut though. I was pretty happy with the amount of time I saved! wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sound right to you?   sound right to you? Empty

Back to top Go down

sound right to you?
Page 1 of 1